UTI question

UTI question

Sara H
Sara H

February 2nd, 2012, 1:17 am #1

Hi,

I have been under a huge amount of stress the last few days but to add to it I am a rather worried that my UIT is not better. BUT: I also don't know what is "normal" pg stuff. Any insight would be very appreciated, it is making me nervous.

My UTI really did not have any symptoms until I knew about it... then I realized the peeing and needing to pee again right after standing up... and the aching in my back and some other things were a UTI. But, I did not have any pain for once, or blood in pee, so did not realize I had a UTI at all.

Now, 5 1/2 days into a 7 day anti-biotic, I still feel most of the same stuff. Need to pee, need to pee right after I stand up from peeing, needing to pee when I very little to pee, some back aches...

But: My uterus is totally tipped back, wayyyy back, so I am wondering if it is sitting on my bladder or blocking flow?

OK, does any of that make sense?

Could the meds themselves be making me feel this way?

I will add the last two days I have not had enough water by half.

I just don't know what is normal PG stuff and what is something to be worried over. If I get another pee test will it show anything while on anti-biotics?

To add to this I had to cancel my Cooper appointment (though tomorrow I will do bloods near my house and they will check them) and I don't see my OB until the 15th... LONG stretch without seeing the baby.

Any ideas or insight would be very much appreciated!

Thank you,
Sara H

February 2nd, 2012, 1:32 am #2

After 5 days you should be feeling some relief on the back ache - so if that is still not better by day 7 I would put another call into your OB and ask there. I don't recall pg related back ache's in the first trimester.

You will be peeing alot for the next several months

Definitely up your water intake and add in cranberry juice if you can, not the blend kind, so I usually dilute it.

Also switch to cotton undies if you haven't already. It really does make a difference pg or not! I wore boy short style underware during pg and it was very comfortable.

Hope you feel better soon!!!

Sara H
Sara H

February 2nd, 2012, 1:52 am #3

And I forgot the cran. I will work on that tomorrow!
(It just seems to be the more water I drink the worse my bit of nausea is so the last two days while dealing with other stuff I just could not deal with that, too. Will tomorrow!)

Good thoughts, thank you!

Sara H

February 2nd, 2012, 1:56 am #4

Hi,

I have been under a huge amount of stress the last few days but to add to it I am a rather worried that my UIT is not better. BUT: I also don't know what is "normal" pg stuff. Any insight would be very appreciated, it is making me nervous.

My UTI really did not have any symptoms until I knew about it... then I realized the peeing and needing to pee again right after standing up... and the aching in my back and some other things were a UTI. But, I did not have any pain for once, or blood in pee, so did not realize I had a UTI at all.

Now, 5 1/2 days into a 7 day anti-biotic, I still feel most of the same stuff. Need to pee, need to pee right after I stand up from peeing, needing to pee when I very little to pee, some back aches...

But: My uterus is totally tipped back, wayyyy back, so I am wondering if it is sitting on my bladder or blocking flow?

I just don't know what is normal PG stuff and what is something to be worried over. If I get another pee test will it show anything while on anti-biotics?

To add to this I had to cancel my Cooper appointment (though tomorrow I will do bloods near my house and they will check them) and I don't see my OB until the 15th... LONG stretch without seeing the baby.

Thank you,
Sara H
just to be sure. Maybe get a new culture and see if it's the right kind of antiB to be using.

when pg, the elevated progesterone does tend to irritate the bladder and make you feel like you have to pee all the time but what you are describing does sound more like an infection.
I had to pee all the time when pg, once an hour if not more but I was retaining water (how fun, "cankles"), so yeah, I can see why you'd wonder if this is typical pg behaviour.

If you aren't already drinking cranberry juice. Start. And take vitamin C. a tablet in morning and again at night (at lunch the first day). What you are trying to do is make that bladder inhospitable to the bacteria.

I (almost) beat a bladder infection last weekend this way but two days after no symptoms, it came back-I was also sick with a (man) cold so I was feeling run down--achey back, sore skin/body etc. So when it came back, I went to see the dr for a 'script.

But those first days, the only liquid I drank was cranberry juice (ugh, I am sooooo sick of that stuff now LOL) It helped quite a bit.
I got lazy and stopped drinking it or enough fluid and it came back. It's such a job.

But I beat 3 bladder infections this way. I get one every time I get a catheter--endo operation and 2 c-sections. In fact, I packed a 2 litre bottle of cranberry juice for the hospital stay for my second c-sec because that one was planned.

A friend was telling me about D-Mannose. I want to get some to boost what the antibiotic is doing.

good luck, hope it goes away soon. It's not fun
jm

MargieD
MargieD

February 2nd, 2012, 2:55 am #5

And I forgot the cran. I will work on that tomorrow!
(It just seems to be the more water I drink the worse my bit of nausea is so the last two days while dealing with other stuff I just could not deal with that, too. Will tomorrow!)

Good thoughts, thank you!

Sara H
But it'll get fluids in you... (Hmmm, I wonder if you can mix cranberry juice with ginger ale??)

Ginger ale was my lifesaver when pregnant. Didn't get rid of the nausea & puking completely but it made life bearable.

February 2nd, 2012, 3:29 am #6

Hi,

Thank you,
Sara H
I had chronic UTIs and had to see a urologist early on (until about 11 weeks, I think). We thought the vaginal p4 support was the culprit, so I switched to an oral. But the bacteria was drug resistant. I was in constant pain! The only thing that worked was Macrobid which is considered safe during PG. I think I tried three other meds before that.

I think you should see a doc, whoever prescribed your antibiotic, to retest for the UTI. Don't wait because it could get out of control. The fact that you're not feeling relief is a sign that you could need a stronger med.

GL and hope you feel better!

Hugs,
Meg

jnoels
jnoels

February 2nd, 2012, 2:19 pm #7

After 5 days you should be feeling some relief on the back ache - so if that is still not better by day 7 I would put another call into your OB and ask there. I don't recall pg related back ache's in the first trimester.

You will be peeing alot for the next several months

Definitely up your water intake and add in cranberry juice if you can, not the blend kind, so I usually dilute it.

Also switch to cotton undies if you haven't already. It really does make a difference pg or not! I wore boy short style underware during pg and it was very comfortable.

Hope you feel better soon!!!
Hi Sara H -

Quick thought - my uterus is also tipped way back, and according to my OB, this alone can cause some backache in the first trimester. (I've been having some, called in a panic, everything was ok - and that's when she told me that in her experience, women with retroverted uterus' sometimes experience more backache, and earlier.)

That said - a persistent UTI is not something to ignore, and a backache is definitely a symptom of that as well, so if you're at all concerned, go back to your doc. I'm wondering if they would let you just come in and give a quick urine sample?

In the meantime, like other posters have said, drink up! Water, that is.

Sara H
Sara H

February 2nd, 2012, 2:56 pm #8

Hi,

Thank you,
Sara H
I have blood work today at my local place... might cheat an order in on my blood work order and see if I can get the pee test.

Cranberry: has anyone used the pills? I have them and they have helped in the past, I think... the taste of Cran is not sounding so yummy right now!

Again, thank you all, so helpful!
I will stay on top of it and I will ask about the back aches being the tipped uterus...
(Did not inherit my mom's fertility... just her tipped uterus. Great... )

Hugs,
Sara H

Sara H
Sara H

February 2nd, 2012, 3:16 pm #9

I hope Co.ooper won't be mad!

I have the order and there is a space for the pee test!

OK, hope to have answers tomorrow!

THANKS, ALL!

Sara H

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

February 2nd, 2012, 4:30 pm #10

I have blood work today at my local place... might cheat an order in on my blood work order and see if I can get the pee test.

Cranberry: has anyone used the pills? I have them and they have helped in the past, I think... the taste of Cran is not sounding so yummy right now!

Again, thank you all, so helpful!
I will stay on top of it and I will ask about the back aches being the tipped uterus...
(Did not inherit my mom's fertility... just her tipped uterus. Great... )

Hugs,
Sara H
I drank cranberry juice to control UTIs but switched to cranberry pills because I found the juice too sweet. The pills pack a big punch and are the equivalent of lots of juice! Just take one or two BEFORE eating because they can cause acid reflux. Also, the solid type of pill is easier on the system than the capsule type (shell containing cranberry powder).

My physician told me its been clinically shown that some chemical in cranberries makes a very hostile environment for the bacteria that causes UTIs and that the infection cannot climb the walls and spread. In my experience it can cure infections as well (but obviously you may not want to take chances.)

Once it is cured, you can take a cranberry pill a day to keep it from re-occuring. No guarantees, but I had chronic UTIs which disappeared forever once I started a cranberry pill a day.

Good luck with a continued healthy and happy pregnancy!