Update on bleeding at 16 wks (possible m/c ment.)

Update on bleeding at 16 wks (possible m/c ment.)

Joined: May 8th, 2012, 12:55 am

August 7th, 2012, 7:54 am #1

First of all, thank you to everyone for your support. On Sunday night, my DH went out to get dinner and I had a horrible incident of hemorrhaging at home. I will never forget his face when he walked in the bathroom that looked like a crime scene. Instead of going to my OB's hospital, i went to the closest hospital emergency room. The tests revealed I had a short cervix (1.06 cm) and Baby A had lost amniotic fluid and for the first time was measuring smaller than Baby B in measurements and weight; heartbeats were 160 and 153. On Monday, I called my OB who immediately referred me to my maternal fetal medicine doctor and they asked me to go in immediately since she was leaving on vacation. The MFM doctor confirmed the shortened cervix measurement, heartbeats were 143 and 128, still had no explanation for the bleeding episodes and said there was nothing else that could be done except "wait and see." When I asked her to explain her approach, it basically meant to wait and see when I miscarried because the cervix was too short to sustain a pregnancy. I asked about progesterone supplements and was told it would not work. I asked about a cerclage and was told it was too dangerous because of all the bleeding. I asked what would happen if Baby A didn't make it and she said Baby B would quickly follow and the shortened cervix may mean I was having contractions with the heavy cramping I had been having with the bleeding. For all my questions, this doctor kept staring at me to make a decision to agree with her opinion. No other options seemed to be open for dicussion and I was sent home with an appointment in 8 days to "see" the condition of my shrinking cervix. Now, I am irrationally angry...I am looking for a second opinion, reading everything I can get my hands on about cervical conditions and making my own plan of action. I do not understand why I sometimes feel I have to give deferrence and authority to someone in a white coat when I am part of the team. It's not like I can just run and get pregnant again in a few months....which is what I was made to feel with the "wait and see" approach, this is not just information we can use in the next pregnancy....I am still pregnant now!!! My babies have been hanging in for 21 days besides the heavy bleeding for 15 of those days!!! I thank you for listening and appreciate any insight you have.
Quote
Like
Share

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

August 7th, 2012, 1:29 pm #2

I will pray for you and your babies.
Quote
Share

Sara H
Sara H

August 7th, 2012, 1:47 pm #3

First of all, thank you to everyone for your support. On Sunday night, my DH went out to get dinner and I had a horrible incident of hemorrhaging at home. I will never forget his face when he walked in the bathroom that looked like a crime scene. Instead of going to my OB's hospital, i went to the closest hospital emergency room. The tests revealed I had a short cervix (1.06 cm) and Baby A had lost amniotic fluid and for the first time was measuring smaller than Baby B in measurements and weight; heartbeats were 160 and 153. On Monday, I called my OB who immediately referred me to my maternal fetal medicine doctor and they asked me to go in immediately since she was leaving on vacation. The MFM doctor confirmed the shortened cervix measurement, heartbeats were 143 and 128, still had no explanation for the bleeding episodes and said there was nothing else that could be done except "wait and see." When I asked her to explain her approach, it basically meant to wait and see when I miscarried because the cervix was too short to sustain a pregnancy. I asked about progesterone supplements and was told it would not work. I asked about a cerclage and was told it was too dangerous because of all the bleeding. I asked what would happen if Baby A didn't make it and she said Baby B would quickly follow and the shortened cervix may mean I was having contractions with the heavy cramping I had been having with the bleeding. For all my questions, this doctor kept staring at me to make a decision to agree with her opinion. No other options seemed to be open for dicussion and I was sent home with an appointment in 8 days to "see" the condition of my shrinking cervix. Now, I am irrationally angry...I am looking for a second opinion, reading everything I can get my hands on about cervical conditions and making my own plan of action. I do not understand why I sometimes feel I have to give deferrence and authority to someone in a white coat when I am part of the team. It's not like I can just run and get pregnant again in a few months....which is what I was made to feel with the "wait and see" approach, this is not just information we can use in the next pregnancy....I am still pregnant now!!! My babies have been hanging in for 21 days besides the heavy bleeding for 15 of those days!!! I thank you for listening and appreciate any insight you have.
I hope you do find a second option. I know they say bed rest will not help but will it help you feel better that you are doing what you can?

Amy has the most experience with this, if she does not see your post maybe try searching for her e-mail (I feel like she posted it once?) I can't speak for her but I think she would give you any advice she could.

With great love and gentle hugs,
Prayers and good thoughts,

Sara H
Quote
Share

gone_fshn
gone_fshn

August 7th, 2012, 1:53 pm #4

First of all, thank you to everyone for your support. On Sunday night, my DH went out to get dinner and I had a horrible incident of hemorrhaging at home. I will never forget his face when he walked in the bathroom that looked like a crime scene. Instead of going to my OB's hospital, i went to the closest hospital emergency room. The tests revealed I had a short cervix (1.06 cm) and Baby A had lost amniotic fluid and for the first time was measuring smaller than Baby B in measurements and weight; heartbeats were 160 and 153. On Monday, I called my OB who immediately referred me to my maternal fetal medicine doctor and they asked me to go in immediately since she was leaving on vacation. The MFM doctor confirmed the shortened cervix measurement, heartbeats were 143 and 128, still had no explanation for the bleeding episodes and said there was nothing else that could be done except "wait and see." When I asked her to explain her approach, it basically meant to wait and see when I miscarried because the cervix was too short to sustain a pregnancy. I asked about progesterone supplements and was told it would not work. I asked about a cerclage and was told it was too dangerous because of all the bleeding. I asked what would happen if Baby A didn't make it and she said Baby B would quickly follow and the shortened cervix may mean I was having contractions with the heavy cramping I had been having with the bleeding. For all my questions, this doctor kept staring at me to make a decision to agree with her opinion. No other options seemed to be open for dicussion and I was sent home with an appointment in 8 days to "see" the condition of my shrinking cervix. Now, I am irrationally angry...I am looking for a second opinion, reading everything I can get my hands on about cervical conditions and making my own plan of action. I do not understand why I sometimes feel I have to give deferrence and authority to someone in a white coat when I am part of the team. It's not like I can just run and get pregnant again in a few months....which is what I was made to feel with the "wait and see" approach, this is not just information we can use in the next pregnancy....I am still pregnant now!!! My babies have been hanging in for 21 days besides the heavy bleeding for 15 of those days!!! I thank you for listening and appreciate any insight you have.
I'm so sorry to hear this latest update. You must be beside yourself.

Did your dr. explain WHY s/he thought progesterone would not help? From the March of Dimes website: "Recent studies show that for some women, especially if they have a short cervix or if they already had a preterm birth, being given progesterone during pregnancy may help reduce the risk of having a premature baby"
I would think they should at least give it a try.

Here is the link, which suggests some other options as well:
http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/p ... erone.html

Hopefully others can add some insight for you. Again I'm so sorry for what you're going thru and I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Quote
Share

Erin
Erin

August 7th, 2012, 2:07 pm #5

First of all, thank you to everyone for your support. On Sunday night, my DH went out to get dinner and I had a horrible incident of hemorrhaging at home. I will never forget his face when he walked in the bathroom that looked like a crime scene. Instead of going to my OB's hospital, i went to the closest hospital emergency room. The tests revealed I had a short cervix (1.06 cm) and Baby A had lost amniotic fluid and for the first time was measuring smaller than Baby B in measurements and weight; heartbeats were 160 and 153. On Monday, I called my OB who immediately referred me to my maternal fetal medicine doctor and they asked me to go in immediately since she was leaving on vacation. The MFM doctor confirmed the shortened cervix measurement, heartbeats were 143 and 128, still had no explanation for the bleeding episodes and said there was nothing else that could be done except "wait and see." When I asked her to explain her approach, it basically meant to wait and see when I miscarried because the cervix was too short to sustain a pregnancy. I asked about progesterone supplements and was told it would not work. I asked about a cerclage and was told it was too dangerous because of all the bleeding. I asked what would happen if Baby A didn't make it and she said Baby B would quickly follow and the shortened cervix may mean I was having contractions with the heavy cramping I had been having with the bleeding. For all my questions, this doctor kept staring at me to make a decision to agree with her opinion. No other options seemed to be open for dicussion and I was sent home with an appointment in 8 days to "see" the condition of my shrinking cervix. Now, I am irrationally angry...I am looking for a second opinion, reading everything I can get my hands on about cervical conditions and making my own plan of action. I do not understand why I sometimes feel I have to give deferrence and authority to someone in a white coat when I am part of the team. It's not like I can just run and get pregnant again in a few months....which is what I was made to feel with the "wait and see" approach, this is not just information we can use in the next pregnancy....I am still pregnant now!!! My babies have been hanging in for 21 days besides the heavy bleeding for 15 of those days!!! I thank you for listening and appreciate any insight you have.
I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this, and sorry that you don't have doctors that are helping you right now. Echoing the PPs, I don't see how P4 could hurt (and I would want to start right away). Do you have any lying around? Is there any doctor you could convince to prescribe some for you (even if you have to frame it as "just to make you feel better" so they don't feel like you're questioning their authority? Ridiculous to have to do this, but works sometimes- while you're finding a second opinion). As Sara H said, Amy would know the most of anyone on this board I think, and she did post her email address not too far down in a response to me on a post I started. I will be sending you and your babies lots of positive thoughts.
Quote
Share

Joined: May 8th, 2012, 12:55 am

August 7th, 2012, 2:16 pm #6

I will pray for you and your babies.
Hi Antonialisa,
I am very appreciative of your prayers. My best wishes for your continued health.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 8th, 2012, 12:55 am

August 7th, 2012, 2:18 pm #7

I hope you do find a second option. I know they say bed rest will not help but will it help you feel better that you are doing what you can?

Amy has the most experience with this, if she does not see your post maybe try searching for her e-mail (I feel like she posted it once?) I can't speak for her but I think she would give you any advice she could.

With great love and gentle hugs,
Prayers and good thoughts,

Sara H
Hi Sara H,
Yes, I am on full bed rest now and am so grateful for your advice. Thanks! I hope you are doing well.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 8th, 2012, 12:55 am

August 7th, 2012, 2:27 pm #8

I'm so sorry to hear this latest update. You must be beside yourself.

Did your dr. explain WHY s/he thought progesterone would not help? From the March of Dimes website: "Recent studies show that for some women, especially if they have a short cervix or if they already had a preterm birth, being given progesterone during pregnancy may help reduce the risk of having a premature baby"
I would think they should at least give it a try.

Here is the link, which suggests some other options as well:
http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/p ... erone.html

Hopefully others can add some insight for you. Again I'm so sorry for what you're going thru and I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome.
Hi Gone_fshn,
No explanation was offered other than the "wait and see" approach. I honestly was so tired and emotionally stunned I felt helpless. I know it's not good but I just needed time to absorb, read and research. Interestingly enough, I ran across that site and have it listed in my notes for my next dr. appointment. Thank you for your well wishes.
Quote
Like
Share

Joined: May 8th, 2012, 12:55 am

August 7th, 2012, 2:31 pm #9

I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this, and sorry that you don't have doctors that are helping you right now. Echoing the PPs, I don't see how P4 could hurt (and I would want to start right away). Do you have any lying around? Is there any doctor you could convince to prescribe some for you (even if you have to frame it as "just to make you feel better" so they don't feel like you're questioning their authority? Ridiculous to have to do this, but works sometimes- while you're finding a second opinion). As Sara H said, Amy would know the most of anyone on this board I think, and she did post her email address not too far down in a response to me on a post I started. I will be sending you and your babies lots of positive thoughts.
Hi Erin,
I have never taken progesterone and wish I had some laying around I put in one last call to my current OB to beg for the 17p injections or progesterone suppositories. I am researching new OB's and finding it difficult to switch at this point. I am kinda feel like the kid at the dance with no partner. It will all work out, it has to...thanks for the positive thoughts.
Quote
Like
Share

teresa
teresa

August 7th, 2012, 3:40 pm #10

First of all, thank you to everyone for your support. On Sunday night, my DH went out to get dinner and I had a horrible incident of hemorrhaging at home. I will never forget his face when he walked in the bathroom that looked like a crime scene. Instead of going to my OB's hospital, i went to the closest hospital emergency room. The tests revealed I had a short cervix (1.06 cm) and Baby A had lost amniotic fluid and for the first time was measuring smaller than Baby B in measurements and weight; heartbeats were 160 and 153. On Monday, I called my OB who immediately referred me to my maternal fetal medicine doctor and they asked me to go in immediately since she was leaving on vacation. The MFM doctor confirmed the shortened cervix measurement, heartbeats were 143 and 128, still had no explanation for the bleeding episodes and said there was nothing else that could be done except "wait and see." When I asked her to explain her approach, it basically meant to wait and see when I miscarried because the cervix was too short to sustain a pregnancy. I asked about progesterone supplements and was told it would not work. I asked about a cerclage and was told it was too dangerous because of all the bleeding. I asked what would happen if Baby A didn't make it and she said Baby B would quickly follow and the shortened cervix may mean I was having contractions with the heavy cramping I had been having with the bleeding. For all my questions, this doctor kept staring at me to make a decision to agree with her opinion. No other options seemed to be open for dicussion and I was sent home with an appointment in 8 days to "see" the condition of my shrinking cervix. Now, I am irrationally angry...I am looking for a second opinion, reading everything I can get my hands on about cervical conditions and making my own plan of action. I do not understand why I sometimes feel I have to give deferrence and authority to someone in a white coat when I am part of the team. It's not like I can just run and get pregnant again in a few months....which is what I was made to feel with the "wait and see" approach, this is not just information we can use in the next pregnancy....I am still pregnant now!!! My babies have been hanging in for 21 days besides the heavy bleeding for 15 of those days!!! I thank you for listening and appreciate any insight you have.
Marti,

My heart goes out to you, I feel so bad for what you're going through right now. My greatest hope for you right now is that you can get a second opinion and a dr who will help you. I completely understand your anger and frustration with these doctors. I do agree that getting on some progesterone would be a very good idea and also strongly agree, don't "ask" you make sure you tell them you want it, it would make you feel better. I pray you can get some right away. Yes, definitely stay off your feet and in bed, don't do anything, just rest and drink alot of water. Before I posted this I prayed for you and I will continue to do so. I am so, so, SO sorry you are going through this. You're in my thoughts. May God Bless and watch over you and your babies.

Teresa
Quote
Share