update (also question for amy and Mrs.A)

update (also question for amy and Mrs.A)

anna
anna

June 3rd, 2012, 4:09 am #1

Hello all, I know I haven't been very active on board lately, I have been so busy trying catch up on life and work took its toll and they might close my department and I will be jobless, but honestly after dealing with IF I became an iron woman and nothing bothers me as much....if it ultimately had a solution, let it be...time will fix things.

My prg is going well, baby measures good and I passed the 2nd trim screening and we met our baby on 3D us.
But my prog is acting weird. 4 weeks ago it was 70, they took me off all support then it went to 33 and then 28 and know I started prom again. And even with support its only 30, my OB don't agree with p4 support after 1st trim and I even went to a very well known high risk doctor and he said its irrelevant . But Dr check suggested I stay on p4 support orally till 36 weeks, and that's what I am going to do. But I wish I could find another Dr who agrees with that..because from now on cooper won't monitor my p4 and I am on my own, and if I bring up p4 to my obgyn, he will just say its irrelevant...
Any advice on that? I am open to change my ob, but how will I know the next ob I go to agrees with p4 support?!

Laura
Laura

June 4th, 2012, 1:58 pm #2

I don't know much abou p4 but if it didn't drop below 20 I'd say you're ok. I wish I had more advice about choosing a new OB but if you're not happy you should switch. I'm glad you are otherwise doing well! Did you find out the gender?

Erin
Erin

June 4th, 2012, 2:33 pm #3

Hello all, I know I haven't been very active on board lately, I have been so busy trying catch up on life and work took its toll and they might close my department and I will be jobless, but honestly after dealing with IF I became an iron woman and nothing bothers me as much....if it ultimately had a solution, let it be...time will fix things.

My prg is going well, baby measures good and I passed the 2nd trim screening and we met our baby on 3D us.
But my prog is acting weird. 4 weeks ago it was 70, they took me off all support then it went to 33 and then 28 and know I started prom again. And even with support its only 30, my OB don't agree with p4 support after 1st trim and I even went to a very well known high risk doctor and he said its irrelevant . But Dr check suggested I stay on p4 support orally till 36 weeks, and that's what I am going to do. But I wish I could find another Dr who agrees with that..because from now on cooper won't monitor my p4 and I am on my own, and if I bring up p4 to my obgyn, he will just say its irrelevant...
Any advice on that? I am open to change my ob, but how will I know the next ob I go to agrees with p4 support?!
Just wanted to say that it's good to hear from you and glad that overall you're doing well! You've been in my thoughts and I'm glad that (besides this P4 issue) all is well. Take care and best wishes!

anna
anna

June 4th, 2012, 4:25 pm #4

Thanks, I posted this per ur below request
How is ur bean?

Teresa
Teresa

June 4th, 2012, 6:27 pm #5

Hi Anna,
I was wondering about you and how you're doing. I'm glad to see your update and that you are doing well. I can understand about the P4 and I hope someone with more experience answers you. Its very scary to think about going off it, it also must be frustrating to hear C h eck tell you stay on it for 36 weeks but then you can't monitor with them. And most REs will tell you to come off at 12-14 weeks. I am curious what responses you get. The only thing I could say is request your doctor to keep monitoring your P4 and if it gets really low, would you be able to put a 911 call into C heck and see what he says? Probably not the best advice and I'm sorry for that, I hope it works out for you, I am sure it will. I hope you post updates now and again, I miss them and wonder how you are.
Teresa

Sara H
Sara H

June 4th, 2012, 11:09 pm #6

If Ch-eck will write you the prescription and you can get your RE to check your P4 every couple of visits just to "make you feel better, please" I'd say just don't tell them you are on the extra support. Can't hurt.
Why do they need to know?

Good luck and I say stay on it, if something does go badly you never want to think you made a choice that might have had an effect, you know? Better on than off if you are worried.

Good luck,
Sara H

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 5th, 2012, 12:46 am #7

because of this (well there were several things but this was at the top).

I found my next OB pretty much not by choice. He was the only OB in the immediate area that was a solo practitioner, delivered out of a particular hospital I wanted and also took my insurance (which isn't a common plan in my area). But as it turned out the gods were looking out for me because he is a high risk OB and completely 150% understood my situation and while he wasn't recommending that I remain on P4, he told me he had NO PROBLEM staying out of Dr. C-heck's way in that regard and that he would be completely fine with monitoring my P4. There was never a "discussion" or "negotiation" or "defense" needed. He simply was a compassionate doctor who understood I'd been through my own personal hell and he wasn't about to allow something so stupid as a $100 blood test get in the way of my sanity.

Here's my info I posted to Amy not too long before she gave birth.

FYI - Amy and I both [responsibly] stopped our P4 support before hitting 36 weeks. She and I both went into pre-term labor. Coincidence? Maybe. BUT - maybe not. I'd stay on the P4 support all the way through if I were you.

Here's some more info:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/264844/m ... e+question

http://www.network54.com/Forum/264844/m ... sterone%29

smrc
smrc

June 5th, 2012, 4:58 pm #8

hi there! was dr. c.heck willing to monitor you all the way up to 36 weeks or did he stop at a certain point (14 weeks?) and just tell you to stay on p4?

thanks and I owe you a note...

SMRC

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 5th, 2012, 6:10 pm #9

at a certain point they said enough with the trying to wean you because it's not working so stay on this and you'll be fine.

I want to also clarify that I had several conversations directly with Dr. Ch.eck throughout my monitoring. So info I'm passing along isn't just standard nurse relay.

he was very confident that the daily prom.etrium was sufficient although he did say that to play it absolutely safe he should be putting me on the weekly h 17 shots but he felt that since I was not spotting and not cramping that the oral P4 was enough to see me through the end, without any monitoring. (also, my cervix had been measuring long and closed) In addition to that he said he didn't want to also hurt my pocketbook since those Ma.kena shots are super expensive and since I did not meet the technical requirements for it, insurance wouldn't cover it.

I have a feeling that if I had a conversation with Dr. Ch.eck today and told him I had pre-term labor he wouldn't be surprised...especially given that I revised his "doctor's orders" and went off the P4.

THANKS FOR UR INPUT
THANKS FOR UR INPUT

June 6th, 2012, 5:05 am #10

thanks for ur input. I am nervous, but I try not to think about it much.
SaraH, I am not going to tell my ob that I am on p4 support. If he doesn't want to monitor my levels, he doesn't need to know.
Mr.A , thanks for ur advice, I don't have the courage to stop p4 on my own, i have a call back scheduled with Dr check and I am planning to beg him to agree to monitor my p4 like once a month or every 3 weeks just to make sure it doesn't go down, I hope he agrees. Honestly I don't have the energy to find a new ob who monitors my p4.

I will keep u posted on how things go.