U/S today, but...

U/S today, but...

April 13th, 2011, 7:10 pm #1

why can't it just be good news?

At the u/s, everything was great. Measuring on track at 6 weeks (+/- a day or so), heartbeat at 116. Got a picture and everything and was so excited. Puking my guts out the past two days, which seems like a good sign.

Then, got today's b/w back. P4 went from 55 to 27! I'm so upset. I'm already taking 300 mg prometrium a day, now they want me on endometrin vaginal inserts (Crinone gives me UTIs).

Is this a really bad sign?

Ugh.

Meg

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 13th, 2011, 7:18 pm #2

don't read more into it. And be glad that they are supplementing you. That should ease your mind.

P4 can swing within the same day let alone week to week. The fact that you were on support already is good. Now they just need to boost it.

Focus on the very tangible and meaningful which is measuring on track and a strong h/b; you have both. CONGRATS for that!!

Also, be forwarned that as the placenta starts taking over...you could see fluctuations. It's totally normal.

Cindy
Cindy

April 13th, 2011, 7:49 pm #3

At the u/s, everything was great. Measuring on track at 6 weeks (+/- a day or so), heartbeat at 116. Got a picture and everything and was so excited. Puking my guts out the past two days, which seems like a good sign.

Then, got today's b/w back. P4 went from 55 to 27! I'm so upset. I'm already taking 300 mg prometrium a day, now they want me on endometrin vaginal inserts (Crinone gives me UTIs).

Ugh.

Meg
I had natural BFP and my progesterone was always under 30. RE wasn't worried--said lots of women carry their pregnancies just fine w/ progesterone in the teens. RE never even bothered to supplement me.

sch1star
sch1star

April 13th, 2011, 8:07 pm #4

Ugh.

Meg
Meg that's wonderful news! I would not worry at all about your P4 level. It's not crazy low, and they're supplementing it to bring it up a bit more to help...don't let it ruin your day, things are looking really good!

Jamie
Jamie

April 13th, 2011, 8:23 pm #5

Ugh.

Meg
Sounds perfect! I know how stressful this time is.

I used only endometrin for P4 support and it worked great. I think it will clear this problem up ASAP.

April 13th, 2011, 8:24 pm #6

Ugh.

Meg
I'm thinking here to myself and wondering if all the puking has something to do with it. I'm just not sure how much of the prometrium I'm keeping down... Still, I would like to see it rise naturally without supplementation.

Thanks again. You're the best.

Meg

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 13th, 2011, 8:25 pm #7

don't read more into it. And be glad that they are supplementing you. That should ease your mind.

P4 can swing within the same day let alone week to week. The fact that you were on support already is good. Now they just need to boost it.

Focus on the very tangible and meaningful which is measuring on track and a strong h/b; you have both. CONGRATS for that!!

Also, be forwarned that as the placenta starts taking over...you could see fluctuations. It's totally normal.
So - "look who's talking!"

I'm a patient of Dr. Check's. Cooper is very conservative about P4 levels. Once PG they want you to be at 40 all the way through, without meds. At one point I was on Crinone, 400 mg of vag supps and 200 mg of Prometrium because my levels kept fluctating under and over the cover line. In the past few weeks I have been tapered off support little by little although there have been times they have put me back on support because the subsequent P4 check showed a drop they weren't comfortable with.

It's now been a week since I stopped all P4 and I was supposed to go for a re-check today to make sure levels are doing OK on their own.

Nurse just called...my P4 was 26.3. Tomorrow I will be 17 weeks. I have to re-start 200 mg of Prometrium per night for the next two weeks and go for a re-check at week 19. And if the re-check shows "low" level still, then I will likely be kept on until week 36!!!!!!! Can you believe that?! Here I am telling you not to worry and little do I know that I'm getting this call in minutes! Nurse said that sometimes the placenta's can just be stubborn and take their time kicking into high gear.

I asked the nurse about concerns/"danger" of too much P4 supplementation. She said that the body naturally expels via poop and pee whatever it does not need.

Cooper helped me get PG so I'm going with it! But boy, certainly was looking forward to no more sleeping pills! Prometrium is like a sleeping pill for me.

I see OB tomorrow so I'll get his take on this. (not that I'd do anything differently than what Cooper is saying to do).

April 13th, 2011, 9:56 pm #8

I'm sorry you're stressing, too! That's wild about essentially staying on the p4 the entire pg, but whatever it takes, right?

I always have wondered if my body is just really bad at making p4, hence the short luteal phase.

I'm on my way to drive an hour to go get the endometrin because my stupid local pharm doesn't carry it and I'm not waiting a day!

Hugs,
Meg

April 14th, 2011, 3:05 am #9

Ugh.

Meg
Just seeing this. I think you are doing just fine. I had a friend who stayed on P4 her whole pregnancy or pretty close to it and her little boy is here and doing great! Some corpus luteums and placentas just don't put out enough. I love endometrin. I tad bit messy, but nothing a panty liner can't handle!

xoxo, Tracy

April 14th, 2011, 1:21 pm #10

Good to hear about your friend. I love hearing about positive outcomes

Yeah, I'm finding out the endometrin is a bit messy...not as bad as the Crinone yet, though.

Hugs,
Meg