travel, long plane trip

travel, long plane trip

September 14th, 2011, 12:22 pm #1

Hi ladies....

My husband is away working...in Hawaii! And I have enough frequent flier miles to go see him! I am just worried about being on the plane that long. The flight I would take goes all the way from Atlanta to Honolulu and is about 10 hours long. I googled and it says just stay hydrated and move around when you can. I will be 15/16 weeks during the trip. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the pregnancy in any way though.

Anyone on here have thoughts on the safety? Or advise on how to make it safe?

Thanks!!
Elizabeth

Tanya
Tanya

September 14th, 2011, 1:25 pm #2

I asked my OB if I could travel at 18 weeks and she advised me to have an U/S before to make sure everything looked okay. She also emphasized how important it was to get up every hour and walk around.
I did travel and everything was fine in my case.
Hawaii sounds wonderful!

September 14th, 2011, 3:39 pm #3

I called my OB earlier and they said it was fine. I will see if I can get in to see them before, since I was supposed to have an appt in the time I will be away. I was thinking I would wait and have my husband there, since he missed the last 2! But maybe better to check before like you say.

Thanks for the input, and glad your trip went well!!

Jamie
Jamie

September 14th, 2011, 7:39 pm #4

Hi ladies....

My husband is away working...in Hawaii! And I have enough frequent flier miles to go see him! I am just worried about being on the plane that long. The flight I would take goes all the way from Atlanta to Honolulu and is about 10 hours long. I googled and it says just stay hydrated and move around when you can. I will be 15/16 weeks during the trip. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the pregnancy in any way though.

Thanks!!
Elizabeth
As long as everything is going well, you will be fine. Drink lots of water and walk every two hours. At that stage I flew to England, at 20 weeks to Hong Kong, and at 26 weeks to Italy. My daughter is extremely healthy and I went to term and beyond. Have a great time!

September 14th, 2011, 10:29 pm #5

You get around! It is great to hear positive stories to make me feel better about the trip. I did book the tickets and am going to try not to worry at all.
Thank you!

sch1star
sch1star

September 14th, 2011, 10:42 pm #6

Hi ladies....

Thanks!!
Elizabeth
Agree with all the PP. Just to throw in another random piece of info, I know a couple of people whose OBs recommended support hose for longer trips too. Can't hurt and might make you feel like you're doing something extra, if you're so inclined. Have fun!!

Maru
Maru

September 14th, 2011, 10:50 pm #7

Hi ladies....

Thanks!!
Elizabeth
15/16 weeks would be the best time to go.

You will have lots of energy and won't feel sick and you will still be small so you can enjoy the trip a lot.

Either way flying for 10 hours is a long flight, is this direct? If so, I'd try to get a flight with stops and a layover to rest / walk around.

In the plane try to get up at least once every hour and walk around, drink lots of water, and enjoy your trip to Hawaii!

September 15th, 2011, 1:52 pm #8

I was going to do what you suggest...and get a flight with stops. But then it made the trip so long, that I would be up for a really long day. As it is I have a 13-14 hour day of traveling. I couldn't decide which would be better. I ended up booking direct. Well, direct from the east coast, I do have another flight to get to atlanta. I hope I did the right thing! I will be pacing the aisles trying to keep the blood flowing!

September 15th, 2011, 1:54 pm #9

Agree with all the PP. Just to throw in another random piece of info, I know a couple of people whose OBs recommended support hose for longer trips too. Can't hurt and might make you feel like you're doing something extra, if you're so inclined. Have fun!!
I do want to do whatever I can...and my legs get bloated on long flights when I am not pregnant....so sounds like a great idea. Thank you!!