This may be the most neurotic post to ever hit this board

This may be the most neurotic post to ever hit this board

Teresa the Wreck
Teresa the Wreck

June 2nd, 2012, 10:42 am #1

Hi all,

I'm embarrassed to post this but I'm struggling and hoping it would be okay if I put this out there.

I guess I'm a little superstitious but in the past, whenever I receive bad news, it always came on a Wednesday. I won't go into all the examples, (and there are many) but I will say that last summer, at my 8 week, 4 day ultrasound (Wednesday, August 17th 2011) is when we found out the babys heart stopped beating (6 weeks and 4 days) So, Wednesdays always freak me out and I try to plan my days where I won't be doing anything major.

However, I messed up when making my OB appointments a couple visits ago. My Dr is a part of an insanely busy practice and so she recommended I make some appts in advance. (I see her once a week because she knows with the 4 losses, being seen 1x week helps me "slightly")

I didn't realize that this coming week (Wed, June 6th) I made an 8:15 am appointment. UGH!!! It honestly didn't "click" until the other day when I was going through my planner and realized I made the 8 week visit for on a Wednesday.

I was there on Thursday and BEGGED to switch the appointment but the receptionist told me they were booked solid for the next 4 weeks and she literally had nothing. So I just said "okay"

Should I skip it? Or should I just go and hope for the best? I'm traumatized from my last 8 week appointment when we got the bad news. Are you laughing at me? I know- I am a nutcase, definitely I have issues. I want to believe that nothing will happen...but it's hard not to. If Idon't go, it may do more harm than good because I will be a wreck til my 9 week.

What would you do?

I want to sincerely THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR READING THIS AND FOR NOT MAKING FUN OF ME! Thank you!!!

June 2nd, 2012, 12:53 pm #2

This struggle turns us all into whack-a-doo's. Other people don't get it.

That morning just call and say your car won't start and you have to reschedule. They'll find something for you. Hugs.

June 2nd, 2012, 1:10 pm #3

Hi all,

I'm embarrassed to post this but I'm struggling and hoping it would be okay if I put this out there.

I guess I'm a little superstitious but in the past, whenever I receive bad news, it always came on a Wednesday. I won't go into all the examples, (and there are many) but I will say that last summer, at my 8 week, 4 day ultrasound (Wednesday, August 17th 2011) is when we found out the babys heart stopped beating (6 weeks and 4 days) So, Wednesdays always freak me out and I try to plan my days where I won't be doing anything major.

However, I messed up when making my OB appointments a couple visits ago. My Dr is a part of an insanely busy practice and so she recommended I make some appts in advance. (I see her once a week because she knows with the 4 losses, being seen 1x week helps me "slightly")

I didn't realize that this coming week (Wed, June 6th) I made an 8:15 am appointment. UGH!!! It honestly didn't "click" until the other day when I was going through my planner and realized I made the 8 week visit for on a Wednesday.

I was there on Thursday and BEGGED to switch the appointment but the receptionist told me they were booked solid for the next 4 weeks and she literally had nothing. So I just said "okay"

Should I skip it? Or should I just go and hope for the best? I'm traumatized from my last 8 week appointment when we got the bad news. Are you laughing at me? I know- I am a nutcase, definitely I have issues. I want to believe that nothing will happen...but it's hard not to. If Idon't go, it may do more harm than good because I will be a wreck til my 9 week.

What would you do?

I want to sincerely THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR READING THIS AND FOR NOT MAKING FUN OF ME! Thank you!!!
If something bad were to happen it's going to happen, kwim? So by cancelling the appt you're just pushing the bad date (if there is one in this case, and I'm willing to bet there's NOT)to another week.

I get the fear, we all do. Face it and don't let it win. Go to the appt, believe that all will be ok, that all IS ok.

Good luck!!

Teresa
Teresa

June 2nd, 2012, 1:33 pm #4

Same thing. He thinks we should go and that by not going, its going to be worse because I'll be stressing until the following week.
Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate it. I'm red in the face, really. Hate living this way, in a constant state of worry.

Teresa
Teresa

June 2nd, 2012, 1:39 pm #5

This struggle turns us all into whack-a-doo's. Other people don't get it.

That morning just call and say your car won't start and you have to reschedule. They'll find something for you. Hugs.
Seriously I begged the receptionist to switch the day and she wasn't able to. It kind of annoyed me because I was thinking "you can't fit me in Thursday or Friday for a 5 minute u/s?" I adore my doctor but the practice is really disorganized (she just joined them) I miss her being on her own. There is always a 45 minute wait every week, which for me is no big deal but my DH has been wonderful accompanying me on these appts and they run beyond his lunch hour, yikes!

So, good advice and I could try that the day of....but if there is nothing then I guess I create another problem, having to wait til the following week and that will be bad also.
It's tempting though and good food for thought. Thank you so much, its something to consider.

June 2nd, 2012, 1:41 pm #6

Hi all,

What would you do?

we all have our own little superstitions and are probably all mum about them but you had courage to share this with us so thanks!

you know what I think? OWN that day! Take it BACK!

It's so good that the appt is early, you won't have all day to fret.

Wake up with attitude that morning and stare that calendar in the eye and march on over to the Dr's office with determination and plan to go have a lovely mid-morning snack at some lovely spot where you can people watch and cherish the secret that you are pg and all these people walking around you haven't a clue yet.

Own it!

and in preparation, do lots of visualization. It helps.

hugs
jm

Erin
Erin

June 2nd, 2012, 1:59 pm #7

Hi all,

What would you do?

Honestly, I think that's what traumatic experiences do to us sometimes. I had to go visit a doctor at a hospital where I've had bad experiences before and I felt my heart rate go way up. We all have associations- there's nothing wrong with you. As for your issue, if you could change the day, I would say do that but it doesn't sound like that's an option. So, I would keep the appt. Remind yourself over and over that there is nothing special about Wednesdays, but also have compassion for yourself and for why you have that aversion in the first place. Things are looking great, I am sure you will be fine, but I'm sorry you're having this hiccup. As juliemam said above, hopefully you can take back Wednesdays! Thinking of you!

June 2nd, 2012, 2:06 pm #8

Hi all,

What would you do?

My bad day was Tuesday so I totally get where you are coming from. I got so much bad news on Tuesdays.I was the same way. But somewhere along the line, something got scheduled and I took back the day as a pp mentioned. I can tell you they broke my water on a Tuesday morning!! He was stubborn and it took over 26 hours so he didn't come on a Tuesday. But you get the point.

Teresa
Teresa

June 2nd, 2012, 3:14 pm #9

we all have our own little superstitions and are probably all mum about them but you had courage to share this with us so thanks!

you know what I think? OWN that day! Take it BACK!

It's so good that the appt is early, you won't have all day to fret.

Wake up with attitude that morning and stare that calendar in the eye and march on over to the Dr's office with determination and plan to go have a lovely mid-morning snack at some lovely spot where you can people watch and cherish the secret that you are pg and all these people walking around you haven't a clue yet.

Own it!

and in preparation, do lots of visualization. It helps.

hugs
jm
Julie I could hug you. Thank you. You make such good points. It IS early in the day so that's a huge plus. And I guess there will be other things that I won't be able to avoid that may fall on a Wednesday in the future, so I may as well learn to buck up and face them.
Thank you for writing and for really great advice and thoughts.
I truly appreciate it!
Silly to not go- the anxiety of not going and not knowing will be worse.
I think I know what to do now. Go and own it as you said. I will take back Wednesday!
Thank you! So much!!

Teresa
Teresa

June 2nd, 2012, 3:21 pm #10

Honestly, I think that's what traumatic experiences do to us sometimes. I had to go visit a doctor at a hospital where I've had bad experiences before and I felt my heart rate go way up. We all have associations- there's nothing wrong with you. As for your issue, if you could change the day, I would say do that but it doesn't sound like that's an option. So, I would keep the appt. Remind yourself over and over that there is nothing special about Wednesdays, but also have compassion for yourself and for why you have that aversion in the first place. Things are looking great, I am sure you will be fine, but I'm sorry you're having this hiccup. As juliemam said above, hopefully you can take back Wednesdays! Thinking of you!
Absolutely. It's so hard, I am trying but oh it's a huge struggle. Thanks for understanding. Nope- changing not an option unfortunately, so-o-o frustrating!!
I think I'm going to have to go and tell myself if something is going to be wrong, if I don't get the bad word on my "superstitious wednesday" then it will just come on another day. Waiting another 13 days would not be good either, so its a catch 22. Going to keep hoping that all will be okay.
I wonder if the day ever comes when I will go to an OB appt without worrying, lol.
I hope you are feeling a little better about your u/s. Remember focus on the heartbeat you heard.