So worried... HCG sharp drop at week 11

So worried... HCG sharp drop at week 11

enochi
enochi

February 16th, 2012, 10:42 pm #1

Hi Ladies, I need your input because I'm starting to freak out.
I had my hormones tested 9 days ago and my hcg was 63.5k and the ultrasound looked great with a heartbeat of 175bpm. Currently, I am 11w 3d pregnant and my HCG has dropped to 34k. I know this is the time the placenta takes over and hcg drops but should it be such a sharp drop?? The nurse said not to worry about it but if I wanted to be 100% sure, I could have another ultrasound... this didn't sound very reassuring to me. I'm about to start crying. I should have bought the doppler!!!

Laura
Laura

February 16th, 2012, 11:01 pm #2

but try to remember that the majority of pg women don't have consistent b/w done like we do, so there isn't a lot of data for all of the different web sites to base their "averages" on. It probably is just the placenta taking over, I've heard that there is supposed to be a substantial drop. I think the nurse is right, but I think that if you are really stressed you should schedule another u/s to put your mind at ease. Take care!

Sara H
Sara H

February 16th, 2012, 11:39 pm #3

I had my hormones tested 9 days ago and my hcg was 63.5k and the ultrasound looked great with a heartbeat of 175bpm. Currently, I am 11w 3d pregnant and my HCG has dropped to 34k. I know this is the time the placenta takes over and hcg drops but should it be such a sharp drop?? The nurse said not to worry about it but if I wanted to be 100% sure, I could have another ultrasound... this didn't sound very reassuring to me. I'm about to start crying. I should have bought the doppler!!!
over the last two weeks! I scared me, too, but I was told they actually only keep testing so they CAN see that drop. That was when they started cutting back my P4, now I am down to once a day!

I know it's totally scary, really, but oddly it's a good thing!

But, I get it and am getting a Doppler, too! I just feel better after my test yesterday and seeing our kiddo doing flips!

Do get an US to settle your heart but it is all good, promise!

Hugs and feel better!
Sara H

February 17th, 2012, 12:05 am #4

You can see it pretty clearly on this chart.

You are fine. I'm surpriseed they even checked it at this point. Honestly it doesn't mean much now. Trust the u/s. And take them up on their offer of another - you'll feel much better.

Note the chart follows a logorithmic scale, so a drop of 63k to 34k is a blip on the chart. 9 days ago you were 10w1d, yes? See that from 10w to 11w is where the sharpest drop happens. I know you're scared, but honestly those numbers would be expected.
Last edited by ekb88 on February 17th, 2012, 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

enochi
enochi

February 17th, 2012, 12:28 am #5

but try to remember that the majority of pg women don't have consistent b/w done like we do, so there isn't a lot of data for all of the different web sites to base their "averages" on. It probably is just the placenta taking over, I've heard that there is supposed to be a substantial drop. I think the nurse is right, but I think that if you are really stressed you should schedule another u/s to put your mind at ease. Take care!
Thanks Laura! I am trying to remain positive and focus on the ultrasound. But you know along with the hcg decreasing, my m/s has decreased substantially. There's nothing else I can do but hope and pray.

enochi
enochi

February 17th, 2012, 12:37 am #6

You can see it pretty clearly on this chart.

You are fine. I'm surpriseed they even checked it at this point. Honestly it doesn't mean much now. Trust the u/s. And take them up on their offer of another - you'll feel much better.

Note the chart follows a logorithmic scale, so a drop of 63k to 34k is a blip on the chart. 9 days ago you were 10w1d, yes? See that from 10w to 11w is where the sharpest drop happens. I know you're scared, but honestly those numbers would be expected.
you don't joke around! Where did you find this chart? and trust me, I've been googling this hcg drop for hours now. Thanks for posting this, it's so helpful. I see that at 9 wks, I was at 50th percentile, then at 10 weeks I was a bit below 50th percentile. Now at 11 weeks, I'm closer to 5th percentile... It's dropping in such huge amounts. Is this still ok? UGH!! My 12 week checkup is on Wed, so I'm praying hard until then.

thanks again!

enochi
enochi

February 17th, 2012, 12:45 am #7

over the last two weeks! I scared me, too, but I was told they actually only keep testing so they CAN see that drop. That was when they started cutting back my P4, now I am down to once a day!

I know it's totally scary, really, but oddly it's a good thing!

But, I get it and am getting a Doppler, too! I just feel better after my test yesterday and seeing our kiddo doing flips!

Do get an US to settle your heart but it is all good, promise!

Hugs and feel better!
Sara H
Your 12 week ultrasound sounds amazing! I could watch my ultrasounds all day sigh I never knew how active those little guys are!

My worry isn't that the hcg is dropping, but that it's dropping so drastically. I'm really on the low end of the range. I really need to try to stay positive.

Thanks for replying!

Sara H
Sara H

February 17th, 2012, 1:03 am #8

you don't joke around! Where did you find this chart? and trust me, I've been googling this hcg drop for hours now. Thanks for posting this, it's so helpful. I see that at 9 wks, I was at 50th percentile, then at 10 weeks I was a bit below 50th percentile. Now at 11 weeks, I'm closer to 5th percentile... It's dropping in such huge amounts. Is this still ok? UGH!! My 12 week checkup is on Wed, so I'm praying hard until then.

thanks again!
But call tomorrow and see if they can fit you in, I hate for you to be so worried over the weekend. Or, go get a Doppler? Could be well worth it!

Hugs and keep us in the loop,
Sara H

Old Time Lurker
Old Time Lurker

February 17th, 2012, 1:17 am #9

When I was PG the same thing happend to me and I freaked out.. My Dr told me the drop in HCG is supposed to happen as the pregnancy progresses and it was normal. Rest assured and double check with your Dr to ease your mind.. But my little "HCG dropper" is running circles around my family room as I type

enochi
enochi

February 17th, 2012, 1:52 am #10

But call tomorrow and see if they can fit you in, I hate for you to be so worried over the weekend. Or, go get a Doppler? Could be well worth it!

Hugs and keep us in the loop,
Sara H
SaraH,
You're right, Becky thought that the hcg dropped bc the placenta took over. The reason why she said that is bc my E2 increased. BUT, she also said to get an u/s if I want to be 100% sure.

Are there any major chains that sell the doppler? I would love to get one tomorrow instead of ordering it online.

Thanks so much!