Second beta in ... Not good (mc, de mentioned).

Second beta in ... Not good (mc, de mentioned).

Anon for now
Anon for now

May 16th, 2012, 1:11 am #1

I'm 42 and ttc for 5 years. 4 failed rounds of ivf over past 2 years and 3 surgeries (fibroids). Finally got a bfp (spontaneous) with strong betas but miscarried in december. Had more surgery in feb, followed by an ivf cycle which was canceled for basically no response. Highest fsh ever was 15.7 and that was on clomid. Got the DE speech and actually started to look at profiles and remain open minded. My re basically said i am such a poor responder that ivf doesnt make any sense for me. So, i started to live a little ... I also drank caffeine and alcohol and for the first time in months gave up on tracking ovulation. And, while on vacation, my husband and i decided to have sex for the heck of it (since i wasnt tracking ovulation). A few weeks passed and i felt off. I was shocked to get a positive on a hpt last week.

I posted last week after first beta, which was only 37. I got so many sweet responses that i was able to get through the weekend relatively sane although completely consumed. Second beta was yesterday. Unfortunately, it dropped to 13. So, it was a chemical and nurse said its not viable.

I dont know if i just have a bunch of crappy eggs left and i should just move on. I was close to seriously considering de, but i feel like this has made me think an oe baby might not be out of the question. On the other hand, my only 2 pregnancies ever were both spontaneous, both after failed cycles, both in the past 6 mos ... Both ended too soon. I know i am old and wonder if my eggs are all bad.

Anyone have a similar situation and go on to have success? Sorry for the long post, but i get so much of my strength and inspiration from you all.

Thank you for listening.
N

Also had my amh tested last month. It was .3

May 16th, 2012, 1:19 am #2

So very sorry about this.

did your dr have you on progesterone? Were Prog and Estro tested with the beta? They should be. I know of one woman (in real life) who needed to be on both for the whole pg. I am sure there are some on these bbs too.

Take care, sending hugs
Juliemam

N
N

May 16th, 2012, 1:48 am #3

I was on progesterone even though RE assured me i ddn't need it with a spontaneous pregnancy. Since i didn't take it with first m/c i insisted on taking it this time since RE admitted it wouldn't hurt. I dd have my estrogen and progeseterine tested along with second beta even though RE again said it wasn't necessary. I figured why not, i would rather ave more info and i am the one paying for it. ... That said, i dont know the results. Once i heard the beta numer went down i neglected to follw up on these details.

Tank you.

May 16th, 2012, 1:07 pm #4

bs coming from your RE.

"RE assured me i ddn't need it with a spontaneous pregnancy."

your P4 level is your P4 level regardless of how you got pg. If you need support you need it, period.

Personally, I would request P4 support for future pgs. and if your RE objects then look for another RE.

I totally agree with JM about the progesterone.

You do have hope. I gave birth to two OE babies at 42 and 44 after 3 losses. I think you do still have "good" eggs in you though I seriously question the "good egg bad egg" theory. I think it's more related to the hormonal process on the whole. As one gets older, this gets more wonky and compromises healthy egg development. I don't think that eggs are 'bad' but the hormonal process that helps eggs to grow, can go "bad". Too much to get into here.

If you go the DE way, be sure to post on the DE board. There is a lot of support on there.

So sorry for your loss.
Hugs,
Z.
Last edited by ZakiaZ on May 16th, 2012, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkl
jkl

May 16th, 2012, 5:29 pm #5

with IVF P4 is much more important because you don't have the corpus luteum which normally produces it. So that is probably where the doc is coming from.

That said, P4 can help any pregnancy so it's probably a good idea to add it.

jkl

jkl
jkl

May 16th, 2012, 5:39 pm #6

I'm 42 and ttc for 5 years. 4 failed rounds of ivf over past 2 years and 3 surgeries (fibroids). Finally got a bfp (spontaneous) with strong betas but miscarried in december. Had more surgery in feb, followed by an ivf cycle which was canceled for basically no response. Highest fsh ever was 15.7 and that was on clomid. Got the DE speech and actually started to look at profiles and remain open minded. My re basically said i am such a poor responder that ivf doesnt make any sense for me. So, i started to live a little ... I also drank caffeine and alcohol and for the first time in months gave up on tracking ovulation. And, while on vacation, my husband and i decided to have sex for the heck of it (since i wasnt tracking ovulation). A few weeks passed and i felt off. I was shocked to get a positive on a hpt last week.

I posted last week after first beta, which was only 37. I got so many sweet responses that i was able to get through the weekend relatively sane although completely consumed. Second beta was yesterday. Unfortunately, it dropped to 13. So, it was a chemical and nurse said its not viable.

I dont know if i just have a bunch of crappy eggs left and i should just move on. I was close to seriously considering de, but i feel like this has made me think an oe baby might not be out of the question. On the other hand, my only 2 pregnancies ever were both spontaneous, both after failed cycles, both in the past 6 mos ... Both ended too soon. I know i am old and wonder if my eggs are all bad.

Anyone have a similar situation and go on to have success? Sorry for the long post, but i get so much of my strength and inspiration from you all.

Thank you for listening.
N

I have had lots of chemicals so I know how you feel, it's so disappointing and frustrating. However they always gave me a lot of hope.

I am now almost 42 and pregnant with no help, after many IVFs and IUIs to have the last baby (ultimately successful on an IUI).

So I guess what I'm saying is, I now seem more fertile than I was at 36. Maybe all the hormones kick started something but who knows.

So I think it's a good sign you have had two pregnancies relatively close together and I think that might mean you could get one that sticks. I don't necessarily think that IVF or stims won't help you. Having more than one egg in contention is going to help your odds. Can you find a protocol (a low stim one) that increases the number of follies? Even having 2 is better than one i think. Probably IUIs or TI would be fine since you can get pregnant naturally. Good luck I am happy to share any of my protocols that worked.

jkl

jkl
jkl

May 16th, 2012, 5:44 pm #7

I was drinking, exercising heavily, caffeine etc when I got this bfp so I don't think that is the reason for the chemical or anything. Please do what makes you happy and gets you through, I personally no longer believe those restrictions make any difference (when I was restricting things I never got pregnant!)

anonymous
anonymous

May 17th, 2012, 12:11 am #8

I have had lots of chemicals so I know how you feel, it's so disappointing and frustrating. However they always gave me a lot of hope.

I am now almost 42 and pregnant with no help, after many IVFs and IUIs to have the last baby (ultimately successful on an IUI).

So I guess what I'm saying is, I now seem more fertile than I was at 36. Maybe all the hormones kick started something but who knows.

So I think it's a good sign you have had two pregnancies relatively close together and I think that might mean you could get one that sticks. I don't necessarily think that IVF or stims won't help you. Having more than one egg in contention is going to help your odds. Can you find a protocol (a low stim one) that increases the number of follies? Even having 2 is better than one i think. Probably IUIs or TI would be fine since you can get pregnant naturally. Good luck I am happy to share any of my protocols that worked.

jkl
Jkl - thanks for the info. Would love it if you would be willing to share your stats and protocol. Many tanks and congrats on your pregnancy. N

N
N

May 17th, 2012, 12:13 am #9

bs coming from your RE.

"RE assured me i ddn't need it with a spontaneous pregnancy."

your P4 level is your P4 level regardless of how you got pg. If you need support you need it, period.

Personally, I would request P4 support for future pgs. and if your RE objects then look for another RE.

I totally agree with JM about the progesterone.

You do have hope. I gave birth to two OE babies at 42 and 44 after 3 losses. I think you do still have "good" eggs in you though I seriously question the "good egg bad egg" theory. I think it's more related to the hormonal process on the whole. As one gets older, this gets more wonky and compromises healthy egg development. I don't think that eggs are 'bad' but the hormonal process that helps eggs to grow, can go "bad". Too much to get into here.

If you go the DE way, be sure to post on the DE board. There is a lot of support on there.

So sorry for your loss.
Hugs,
Z.
You don't need to pardon yourself. Appreciate your input. You gave me some hope.

Would you mind sharing your general stats with me (fsh etc) when you got pregnant and whether it was thru ivf etc?

Thanks again,
N

ekb88
ekb88

May 17th, 2012, 3:45 am #10

Thank you for listening.
N

I'm so sorry to hear this. {{{{Hugs}}}}

Just want to say that I tend to agree with Z that I think it's the hormonal environment that changes as we age, not that we magically run out of good eggs. By the "good egg" theory, I have no business being pregnant. I lost one of my ovaries to an endo cyst when I was 36. Since then, my right ovary has been pumping out eggs on its own every month, on an accelerated schedule no less, as my cycles got short after my surgery. And yet I got pg at 40 and again here at 43.

For me, I really think supplements and such helped. Obviously you have to do what is right for you. I did have DE as something I was considering as an option when ttc for #1, and honestly, as an option for a sibling for #2. I think it's a very reasonable choice, and I think you have to figure out what is the right path for your family. Hugs again, and so sorry for your loss.