Rookie mom to be question - bottles

Rookie mom to be question - bottles

Anon
Anon

February 4th, 2012, 3:40 pm #1

A few family and friends have given me bottles to reuse. I did buy a super jumbo pack of Dr. Brown's bottles new. Could I sterilize (boil) the nipples that came with the hand me down bottles or should I just go out and try to find/match new nipples with the bottles?

Also, should I only stick to one brand of bottles? For instance, I bought all new Dr Brown but was given some Avent ones.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

February 4th, 2012, 3:59 pm #2

and instead buy just 1 or 2 and test it out to see. If it's working for you then go out and get more of the same.

Or just start off with the bottles you've been given and buy new nipples for them.

The reason I say this is that baby's are picky and you don't know how they will take to any one bottle. Also, mom's are picky too () and you may not like a certain bottle. Or you may have to move on to a different bottle out of necessity, for example, baby has reflux.

I'd sterilize the bottles you were given, buy new nipples for them and take it from there.

FYI - I started off with the Medela pumping bottles that the hospital gave me - I just put on the bottle collar and nipples that the hospital also gave me. Worked out fine for me. I decided to move on to Tommee Tippee - didn't like them. I found them to drip and be messy. Eventually I moved on Dr. Brown's because DD had reflux and these worked out perfectly.

But then DD finally latched and now she refuses all bottles. So I've had to try all sorts of bottles (to no avail). It would have been nice to have had a hand me to try with vs. buying bottles that are going to waste.

Another friend who has a newborn currently, started off with Avent, moved on to a few others including BreastFlow, and eventually landed with Dr. Brown's (baby has reflux).

February 4th, 2012, 4:42 pm #3

A few family and friends have given me bottles to reuse. I did buy a super jumbo pack of Dr. Brown's bottles new. Could I sterilize (boil) the nipples that came with the hand me down bottles or should I just go out and try to find/match new nipples with the bottles?

Also, should I only stick to one brand of bottles? For instance, I bought all new Dr Brown but was given some Avent ones.

I started with those little gerber type bottle they give at the hospital. baby leaked all over his mouth with that. I thought that was to be expected but then sent DH for new nipples and he came home with the (disposable) silicone playtex ones so luckily I had some hand-me-downs of those (which I wasn't going to use because they need those plastic sleeves and they are all so "plastic-ey". I didn't like the idea of plastic for this liquid gold or formula AND environmentally speaking, why add, ya know??)
but I have to tell you, it was the best bottle EVER for my little guy. suddenly he's NOT leaking the formula (or expressed milk if I managed to get more than a drop out--rare) AND less gulped air.

besides, we'd fill the bottle right before giving it to him so contact with plastic was at a minimum.

So sometimes you have to fit the bottle to the child and not the other way around. if your child is particular. You won't know until you start.

The playtex (disposable) silicone nipple that is slow flow was the slowest and softest nipple I could find (once I got out there to examine them all and how many there are, is mind boggling). I called the playtex company to ask why they labelled them disposable and she really didn't give me a good answer but that maybe they just don't last as long. I never saw them disintegrate, just flow faster so maybe this is how playtex covers their behinds in case someone complains. I boiled the nipples at first but by 1mos only hot soapy water and rinsed well--LC told me that that was fine and it was.
I think the boiling is a good precaution and very important where premies are concerned. but follow your instincts. After all, they got you here, didn't they?

good luck and have fun
jm

MargieD
MargieD

February 4th, 2012, 6:07 pm #4

Dr. B's bottles did not work for DD, but she did not have reflux. (Surprisingly, the bottles gave her reflux!) In my experience - they only worked for babies with reflux.

I was disappointed. I really wanted the fancy schmancy stuff for DD, but the plastic Playtex crap worked better than any other bottle. And because they were cheap (about $1 a bottle), when they got cruddy, I'd recycle them and get more.

As for sterilizing hand-me-down nipples, I'd just get new ones. I've boiled baby stuff in the past... bottles, nipples, valves, breast pump stuff, etc. and I never thought they got them clean. I didn't mind because they were DD's and only DD's - but if they were another person's - I'd get nervous.

Nipples are usually pretty cheap... and besides - think about the time and electricity/gas going into boiling the water... so it's about the same...

MargieD
MargieD

February 4th, 2012, 6:16 pm #5

Just thought of something....

If you have a good dishwasher (or knows someone who does) that cleans really well with hot water - you could use it clean the bottles. (Still wouldn't do nipples/valves... but that's just me...)

I don't own a dishwasher (*gasp!* I know...), but my parents have one. Sometimes when I visit, I'd take up her sippy cups and wash them in the dishwasher and get them really clean. (I buy new valves, though...)

A whole lot easier than boiling them!

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

February 4th, 2012, 7:40 pm #6

The Playtex ones with the liners did not work at all for us. We stuck with Born Free from start to finish. Our DD is 3.4 years now and is in a regular cup.

However, as was suggested, I would try out 2 or 3 types and find out what works for your little one.

Good luck. I miss those days!

Laura
Laura

February 4th, 2012, 10:05 pm #7

You do not want to be dealing with that in the middle of the night, and these straw things that never get clean...Playtex has "Ventaire" which did the trick with my gassy guy, and they even make a "wide-nipple" kind now which is shaped more like a boob...but once we went to solid foods, the gas problems stopped and we just used the cheap glass ones. So much easier to clean.

A microwave sterilizer was probably one of our best investments. It's great for the pump parts too.

Alli
Alli

February 5th, 2012, 12:14 am #8

Loved Dr. Brown's and had 24 bottles a day at one point. We washed everything on the top shelf but you do need to be organized with the pieces.

Kristen
Kristen

February 5th, 2012, 2:36 am #9

I wouldn't reuse plastic bottles - they can wear down over time - especially if they are being steamed/boiled or heated in the dishwasher. You're supposed to get rid of plastic bottles when the plastic becomes cloudy, scratched, etc. If they're glass its fine, I would reuse them and just get new nipples.

On the brands, I tried Dr. Brown's but DS seemed to prefer the Borne Free and Playtex bottles. Each of those brands had fewer parts to deal with and the Dr. Brown's also leaked on me a few times.

As some of the other posters mentioned, I would return the bulk set and buy smaller sets of varying brands to see what you like (to clean) and what your baby prefers. Babies will have different preferences and it will be a sham to waste the money on the Doc Browns if your baby doesn't like it.

Good luck!

Laura
Laura

February 5th, 2012, 3:21 am #10

Loved Dr. Brown's and had 24 bottles a day at one point. We washed everything on the top shelf but you do need to be organized with the pieces.
You must be the queen of organization!!! I am so not able to keep track of those things...I lost all the straw parts almost immediately...LOL!!!