Questions re: circumcision

Questions re: circumcision

JulesM
JulesM

December 6th, 2011, 2:29 pm #1

So this has been on my mind lately and I thought I would come to you gals for your experience and/or thoughts regarding circumcision.

I do not have any religious reasons to circumcise if we have a son but considering it is the "norm" to have it done I just assumed we would. However, now I am having second thoughts. I have 2 nephews and the son of one of my cousin's who had some post-circumcision issues. My cousin's child actually had to have it re-done when he was about 1 and a half years old. My sister's son who is 4y/o had some extra skin left and pretty much had an "innie" until about 3 y/o.

Do any of you know what type of Dr does the circumcions post-natal? Is it an OB or a Urologist? I could ask my OB... but my appointment isn't until the end of next week. A friend of mine suggested waiting a few weeks after birth and having it done by a pediatric urologist. I'm just confused at what will be best for my baby. I'll be giving birth at a teaching hospital and know that if I do decide to have it done after birth that I will insist on having an Attending (not a resident or intern) do it.

My DH doesn't have a strong opinion on this subject. He, himself was born in Ireland where it is not common practice to circumcise (at least not when he was born) so he is not but his son from a previous marriage is.

Any thoughts, opinions, ideas are appreciated...

December 6th, 2011, 2:56 pm #2

They would not circumcise in the NICU because it is an elective procedure. We got DS circumcised when he was about 10 weeks old by the ped urologist at the Children's Hospital. They told me it gets a bit more painful after 16 weeks. This doctor reconstructs congenitally deformed urinary tracts so I thought he was on top of things! No problems with insurance. It was sad but mostly for my DH.

Here in the South, everyone pretty much circumcises. DS would be made fun of mercilessly as a teenager otherwise. My DH has a friend who moved from California, was uncircumcised, and made his parents let him get the procedure done as a teenager!!

I think some of the problems come from the aftercare. We were told to pull the skin down at the base of the penis to make sure there were no adhesions. He still has some slight issues, but you can pull the skin back. He actually laughs at us when we do it so I'm guessing it doesnt hurt that badly. Our ped also checks it every appt. If you neglect to do this, it may grow back.
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

JulesM
JulesM

December 6th, 2011, 3:32 pm #3

Great information. I'm going to look into the urologist route. I did find out that it is the OB on-call that does it at my hospital.

anonymous
anonymous

December 6th, 2011, 4:00 pm #4

So this has been on my mind lately and I thought I would come to you gals for your experience and/or thoughts regarding circumcision.

I do not have any religious reasons to circumcise if we have a son but considering it is the "norm" to have it done I just assumed we would. However, now I am having second thoughts. I have 2 nephews and the son of one of my cousin's who had some post-circumcision issues. My cousin's child actually had to have it re-done when he was about 1 and a half years old. My sister's son who is 4y/o had some extra skin left and pretty much had an "innie" until about 3 y/o.

Do any of you know what type of Dr does the circumcions post-natal? Is it an OB or a Urologist? I could ask my OB... but my appointment isn't until the end of next week. A friend of mine suggested waiting a few weeks after birth and having it done by a pediatric urologist. I'm just confused at what will be best for my baby. I'll be giving birth at a teaching hospital and know that if I do decide to have it done after birth that I will insist on having an Attending (not a resident or intern) do it.

My DH doesn't have a strong opinion on this subject. He, himself was born in Ireland where it is not common practice to circumcise (at least not when he was born) so he is not but his son from a previous marriage is.

It's a hard decision to make. The stats actually show that more boys in the US are NOT circumcised than are. But certain locations circumcise more than other locations.

I don't know who you would go to because we chose not to. Based on the trends, Ian will actually be in the majority in most places in the US. Plus the benefits of not circumcising outweighed doing it by a landslide. Plus I couldn't imagine my perfect little baby getting a painful surgery so young in life-my maternal protective instinct was (and is) quite strong I discovered after he was born. So much so it can be scary how instinctually protective we mamas can be! But that's us. Others choose differently.

I would suggest that if you have any reservations, don't go ahead with it. Wait until you are certain you want to do this. You can't undo it but you always do it, know what I mean?

And if you do it, go to the best doctor you can. I too have heard, read and know people who have had significant issues post circumcision. And it is not full for those boys/men at all! You are making a lifelong decision to alter a person's body- and may have good reasons for doing so. But like with any cosmetic surgery at any age, weigh the options carefully.

Good for you to thinking it through.

Wren
Wren

December 6th, 2011, 4:01 pm #5

no anonymous, me^^^^

JulesM
JulesM

December 6th, 2011, 4:58 pm #6

It's a hard decision to make. The stats actually show that more boys in the US are NOT circumcised than are. But certain locations circumcise more than other locations.

I don't know who you would go to because we chose not to. Based on the trends, Ian will actually be in the majority in most places in the US. Plus the benefits of not circumcising outweighed doing it by a landslide. Plus I couldn't imagine my perfect little baby getting a painful surgery so young in life-my maternal protective instinct was (and is) quite strong I discovered after he was born. So much so it can be scary how instinctually protective we mamas can be! But that's us. Others choose differently.

I would suggest that if you have any reservations, don't go ahead with it. Wait until you are certain you want to do this. You can't undo it but you always do it, know what I mean?

And if you do it, go to the best doctor you can. I too have heard, read and know people who have had significant issues post circumcision. And it is not full for those boys/men at all! You are making a lifelong decision to alter a person's body- and may have good reasons for doing so. But like with any cosmetic surgery at any age, weigh the options carefully.

Good for you to thinking it through.
I was actually just talking about it with a co-worker and got teary thinking about my baby having a little incision, etc. There really is 2 sides to this decision... neither in my opinion right or wrong.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

December 6th, 2011, 5:29 pm #7

DH was not circumcised but had to be when he was 28 years old. If you start asking around you may be surprised how many males have had to be circumised as older children or adults. I know about 5 males who "resent" their parents for not circumcising them as a newborn because they then had to endure it when they were old enough to know what was going on.

My own DH's uncle had to have it done as an old man! My godson actually elected to have it done at 13 (could no longer handle being different from the other boys). My best friend's baby is adopted so she wasn't around to have a say in it...but now as a 2 year old he has to get it done - way too many infections.

It was a very painful recovery for DH and also pyschologically was very tough for him. He felt like he was losing a part of himself. Once you have your privates look a certain way for 28 years you no longer think of it as just a bit of skin. It's not like removing a mole.

Anyway, because of DH's own experience he was absolutely adamant that if we had a son he'd be circumcised to prevent any possibility from having to have it done later in life.

We asked our pediatrician about this during the pedi prenatal interview and she was for it, despite the fact that her cultural influence would be to be against it. The other pedi (the one we didn't select) also was for it. I was very comfortable with my OB doing it but to be honest I didn't know that I could have elected to have a pediatric urologist do it.

It's very personal but just do lots of reading and talking about it to get different perspectives. Oh - and they do numb the area!!! I came to find out that it is a myth about not using anything at the site.

wren
wren

December 6th, 2011, 6:02 pm #8

I was actually just talking about it with a co-worker and got teary thinking about my baby having a little incision, etc. There really is 2 sides to this decision... neither in my opinion right or wrong.
agreed. though its more than a little incision. I dont mind that some people decide differently than me. I just hope whatever the decision, it's well thought through. Good for you.

JulesM
JulesM

December 6th, 2011, 6:16 pm #9

DH was not circumcised but had to be when he was 28 years old. If you start asking around you may be surprised how many males have had to be circumised as older children or adults. I know about 5 males who "resent" their parents for not circumcising them as a newborn because they then had to endure it when they were old enough to know what was going on.

My own DH's uncle had to have it done as an old man! My godson actually elected to have it done at 13 (could no longer handle being different from the other boys). My best friend's baby is adopted so she wasn't around to have a say in it...but now as a 2 year old he has to get it done - way too many infections.

It was a very painful recovery for DH and also pyschologically was very tough for him. He felt like he was losing a part of himself. Once you have your privates look a certain way for 28 years you no longer think of it as just a bit of skin. It's not like removing a mole.

Anyway, because of DH's own experience he was absolutely adamant that if we had a son he'd be circumcised to prevent any possibility from having to have it done later in life.

We asked our pediatrician about this during the pedi prenatal interview and she was for it, despite the fact that her cultural influence would be to be against it. The other pedi (the one we didn't select) also was for it. I was very comfortable with my OB doing it but to be honest I didn't know that I could have elected to have a pediatric urologist do it.

It's very personal but just do lots of reading and talking about it to get different perspectives. Oh - and they do numb the area!!! I came to find out that it is a myth about not using anything at the site.
I am leaning towards having it done, but will start doing more research. I know everyone in my family (aside from my husband) has had it done and I would never want my child to be self-conscious and/or ridiculed for a decision I made.

I did know that they use local anesthetic as well as tylenol and sugar water to perform the surgery. But it still breaks my heart to electively do this to a teeny baby. I actually saw a circumcision done during my maternity rotation in nursing school. It is a little barbaric but I also didn't leave the procedure disturbed or horrified... so that's a good sign.

lucy999
lucy999

December 6th, 2011, 6:47 pm #10

the baby leaving the hospital Much better so that they heal quicker and it i done with. I can not imagine doing it as an adult. That would be way too painful.