Questions: Dopplers and insurance and appointments...

Questions: Dopplers and insurance and appointments...

Sara H
Sara H

January 27th, 2012, 3:54 pm #1

Hi, All!

Everything is great, blood work shows a drop in my beta (which they said was exactly as expected this week but I am still glad I saw "Casper" on Monday and know everything is OK!) and that the placenta is starting to kick in a bit since e2 is up and so is p4, though I am on no e2 at all and no extra p4. So, looks good!

In bad news:
Insurance has gotten icky. The billing ladies have been fighting for me but my insurance is saying they won't pay a thing... which makes each trip down about 240$...
I only have two more, week 11 and week 13, and I chatted with RN.Becky and she said it was OK, I could do bloods and my ultra sound at my OBGYN and she'd still help me on the phone. So Sweet!
I JUST HATE THAT THIS COMES DOWN TO MONEY! I'd really love to say thank you and good bye in person but, in two appointments it would be almost 500$... That's a lot of diapers!

And it also means I'll be going three + weeks without seeing the baby. I know, totally normal for most PGs, but I get panicky! (I try to hide it but I do! Before every exam I always thing, "OK, they can't find a heartbeat, it's OK, it was meant to be..." and then they do and I feel a bit foolish and tear up because I am amazed, happy and relieved!)

So:
1) When do Dopplers start to work? We have 'seen' the heartbeat but not heard it yet. How soon is too soon? (I am 10 weeks today)
What is a good brand?
Is it OK to buy a used one?

2) What do you thing about those last two C.ooper visits?
(sadly, 500$ is big money to us... I wish it was not but it is!)

3) Why do Clementine oranges taste sooo good right now? I have to limit myself to two a day... I could eat ten!

4) Do Canadian Geese need visas to stay if they are not just "passing though"? I mean, there have been some near us for months now...

Any other advice?

Thanks, Ladies!
HUGS!
Sara H

January 27th, 2012, 4:43 pm #2

Hey Sara,
A wonderful lady on this board gifted me my doppler, I think it's some Stork brand or something and i think brand new it cost around $150. We were able to start picking up the h/r around 9 weeks pregnant. It takes a while and sometimes I would have to go move around and then come back to it...but we were always able to find it!

I think this doppler is more sensitive to the sound, but the digital read out doesn't pick up the sound unless it's a hard thump into the mic...which is sometimes hard to find. So I always counted the beats in 10 seconds (ye gotta count fast!) and then times by 6. So it has it's limitations, but I do believe it's very sensitive....so I love it!

If I were you, I would definitely invest in one, I still use mine even though I'm feeling baby movement now! It's just a good reminder that things are okay.

Can't help you on the other questions...especially the Canadian geese one, but thanks for getting me to LOL today!

TTC: Since Nov. 2006
Diagnosis: Ovarian Dysfunction & PCOS
26 Years Old
cd3 FSH 16.8
cd10 FSH 13.6
7 Unmonitored Cycles of Clomid
3 Unmonitored Cycles of Letrozole
Positive CCCT
TAB for cysts
1st Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed BDing - 5 mature follies - BFN
TAB for cysts
2nd Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 4 mature follies in play - BFN
3rd Cycle of 150 iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 2 follies - BFN
1st Cycle of Gonal F - 1 follie & cyst on right - BFN
TAB for a cycle
2nd Cycle of Gonal F = BFP!!!!!
11dpo Beta=27.9
14dpo Beta=120
16dpo Beta=210
18dpo Beta=429
21dpo Beta=1064
5w6d - baby measuring 3mm, h/b 101
6w6d - baby measuring 6mm, h/b 126
7w6d - baby 18mm, h/b 171, measuring ahead at 8w2d! RE noticed enlarged yolk sac so keeping a close eye on that
8w6d - baby 2.52cm with h/b of 174
9w5d - baby 3.22cm with h/b of 180 measuring 10w1d
10w6d - baby 4.34cmcm with h/b of 174 measuring 11w1d
12w u/s showed baby at 11.2cm with h/b of 162 - unfortunately, that evening I suffered a horrible m/c of a chromosomally NORMAL girl.... RIP my angel girl...you were loved....

First cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse since m/c - BFN
2nd Cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse - BFN
TAB for a month on bcp's
3rd Cycle of Gonal F - BFP
-11dpo beta=14.9
-14dpo beta=45.7
-16dpo beta=140
-18dpo beta=366
u/s at 6w1d showed heart-rate of 114!!!!
u/s at 7w1d showed heart-rate of 141!!!!
u/s at 8w showed heart-rate of 179
u/s at 9w showed 2 SCH's, h/r of 197
u/s at 10w showed h/r of 175
u/s at 11w showed h/r of 180
u/s at 12 w showed h/r of 188
12w2d...m/c'd baby at home, lost too much blood, had to have emergency D&C...severely anemic....baby was a chromosomally normal boy
-developed a blood clot in leg 1 1/2 wks post D&C...saw a hematologist and had testing done and everything came back normal, will still treat me with Lovenex on next pregnancy

Sara H
Sara H

January 27th, 2012, 5:03 pm #3

Hi, All!

Everything is great, blood work shows a drop in my beta (which they said was exactly as expected this week but I am still glad I saw "Casper" on Monday and know everything is OK!) and that the placenta is starting to kick in a bit since e2 is up and so is p4, though I am on no e2 at all and no extra p4. So, looks good!

In bad news:
Insurance has gotten icky. The billing ladies have been fighting for me but my insurance is saying they won't pay a thing... which makes each trip down about 240$...
I only have two more, week 11 and week 13, and I chatted with RN.Becky and she said it was OK, I could do bloods and my ultra sound at my OBGYN and she'd still help me on the phone. So Sweet!
I JUST HATE THAT THIS COMES DOWN TO MONEY! I'd really love to say thank you and good bye in person but, in two appointments it would be almost 500$... That's a lot of diapers!

And it also means I'll be going three + weeks without seeing the baby. I know, totally normal for most PGs, but I get panicky! (I try to hide it but I do! Before every exam I always thing, "OK, they can't find a heartbeat, it's OK, it was meant to be..." and then they do and I feel a bit foolish and tear up because I am amazed, happy and relieved!)

So:
1) When do Dopplers start to work? We have 'seen' the heartbeat but not heard it yet. How soon is too soon? (I am 10 weeks today)
What is a good brand?

3) Why do Clementine oranges taste sooo good right now? I have to limit myself to two a day... I could eat ten!

4) Do Canadian Geese need visas to stay if they are not just "passing though"? I mean, there have been some near us for months now...

Any other advice?

Thanks, Ladies!
HUGS!
Sara H
But, maybe that is why I have still been feeling rather "off".

I had NO IDEA!

I have had them before and always known... That horrible burning-painful thing is a major clue, but I have none of that! Makes me wonder how long I have had it and if this happens often... My OB ran the test on Monday! EEEKKK!
(Cooper had asked me to but I knew I was about to have one at the OB so I did not.

So, how do I know when it's gone if I can't feel it anyway?

Weird.

Hugs to all!
Sara H

January 27th, 2012, 5:13 pm #4

I had some symptoms but tbh, nothing to write home about. I kind of thought it was just normal pregnancy stuff. But anyways, you get on the script and then 2 weeks later, they restest you to make sure it's gone. B/c sometimes certain antibiotics won't work and you'll have to try something different.

So I wouldn't worry about it, they can kind of tell you "how positive" your UTI test was too...based on your level, so you can know how bad it was. They told me they caught mine early b/c the level was just barely positive, but if left untreated would have gotten much higher. So give em a call and ask! Either way, you're getting it treated, so you'll be good to go.

TTC: Since Nov. 2006
Diagnosis: Ovarian Dysfunction & PCOS
26 Years Old
cd3 FSH 16.8
cd10 FSH 13.6
7 Unmonitored Cycles of Clomid
3 Unmonitored Cycles of Letrozole
Positive CCCT
TAB for cysts
1st Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed BDing - 5 mature follies - BFN
TAB for cysts
2nd Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 4 mature follies in play - BFN
3rd Cycle of 150 iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 2 follies - BFN
1st Cycle of Gonal F - 1 follie & cyst on right - BFN
TAB for a cycle
2nd Cycle of Gonal F = BFP!!!!!
11dpo Beta=27.9
14dpo Beta=120
16dpo Beta=210
18dpo Beta=429
21dpo Beta=1064
5w6d - baby measuring 3mm, h/b 101
6w6d - baby measuring 6mm, h/b 126
7w6d - baby 18mm, h/b 171, measuring ahead at 8w2d! RE noticed enlarged yolk sac so keeping a close eye on that
8w6d - baby 2.52cm with h/b of 174
9w5d - baby 3.22cm with h/b of 180 measuring 10w1d
10w6d - baby 4.34cmcm with h/b of 174 measuring 11w1d
12w u/s showed baby at 11.2cm with h/b of 162 - unfortunately, that evening I suffered a horrible m/c of a chromosomally NORMAL girl.... RIP my angel girl...you were loved....

First cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse since m/c - BFN
2nd Cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse - BFN
TAB for a month on bcp's
3rd Cycle of Gonal F - BFP
-11dpo beta=14.9
-14dpo beta=45.7
-16dpo beta=140
-18dpo beta=366
u/s at 6w1d showed heart-rate of 114!!!!
u/s at 7w1d showed heart-rate of 141!!!!
u/s at 8w showed heart-rate of 179
u/s at 9w showed 2 SCH's, h/r of 197
u/s at 10w showed h/r of 175
u/s at 11w showed h/r of 180
u/s at 12 w showed h/r of 188
12w2d...m/c'd baby at home, lost too much blood, had to have emergency D&C...severely anemic....baby was a chromosomally normal boy
-developed a blood clot in leg 1 1/2 wks post D&C...saw a hematologist and had testing done and everything came back normal, will still treat me with Lovenex on next pregnancy

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

January 27th, 2012, 5:19 pm #5

But, maybe that is why I have still been feeling rather "off".

I had NO IDEA!

I have had them before and always known... That horrible burning-painful thing is a major clue, but I have none of that! Makes me wonder how long I have had it and if this happens often... My OB ran the test on Monday! EEEKKK!
(Cooper had asked me to but I knew I was about to have one at the OB so I did not.

So, how do I know when it's gone if I can't feel it anyway?

Weird.

Hugs to all!
Sara H

I got mine off eBay for around $50 to $60. It was used. But worked perfectly. I would have offered up to you but my mom's co-worker is PG and so I loaned it to her. She's due in July so not like you'll want to wait until then.

I have to say though, that while I did use the doppler at first., over time I just felt confident enough that things were fine and it eventually sat on my nighttable collecting dust.

That sucks about the UTI. I had one too (much much later in my PG) and I didn't really feel anything. There are only certain antibiotics you can take, and even then they vary by trimester. Even after the OB gives you an Rx I would still double check with the pharmacist that it's OK for the trimester you're in.

About the insurance, that totally totally sucks!! But since you are happy with your OB and your OB seems to understand your situation I would have a conversation with her. Let her know that Cooper's care plan would call for b/w and u/s at XYZ weeks and since insurance won't cover that you're hoping that she can order it so that the insurance will cover it. Basically ask her to take over Cooper's care plan for the remaining 2 weeks.

And eat the 10 Clementines!! It's good to eat a variety of foods while PG and while nursing so that baby's palate is well-rounded.

b&a72
b&a72

January 27th, 2012, 6:06 pm #6

Hi, All!

In bad news:

So:
What is a good brand?

Any other advice?

Thanks, Ladies!
HUGS!
Sara H
Are doing a 12 week NT scan? If so that was the first time I heard ours before we could only see them. At the NT scan they go into great detail with the measurements and heartbeat.

Sara H
Sara H

January 27th, 2012, 6:20 pm #7

I am glad but scared about that, too. And, no way around it, my DH can't be there. He is on a trip at the best time to do the scan... might ask my mom to come with me... can't decide yet.

I haven't let her see the pic we have yet as, just in case things go badly, I think that would make it even more 'real' for her and hurt her more, you know?

Uggg! So many choices!

OK, thank you all!
(Mrs. A, thank you! Tanya has also so kindly offered me her's but she is rather busy right now and i want her to focus on other stuff! I'll go scour Amazon and ebay and see what I find! You are right, after a while I hope I won't use it much and that I will be more relaxed but for now it would be so nice!)

HUGS!
Sara H

January 27th, 2012, 6:23 pm #8

Hi, All!

In bad news:

So:
What is a good brand?

Any other advice?

Thanks, Ladies!
HUGS!
Sara H
Clementines were one of the 3 foods I ate for the first 12 weeks. Actually, people wrapped them up and gave as xmas gifts! The fruit theme was present my whole pg too. And my DD loves all fruit now which is a good thing (better than the cool ranch doritos right?).

I never had a doppler so I can't help you there. I always worried I wouldn't do it right and then panic.

Laura
Laura

January 27th, 2012, 6:45 pm #9

I am glad but scared about that, too. And, no way around it, my DH can't be there. He is on a trip at the best time to do the scan... might ask my mom to come with me... can't decide yet.

I haven't let her see the pic we have yet as, just in case things go badly, I think that would make it even more 'real' for her and hurt her more, you know?

Uggg! So many choices!

OK, thank you all!
(Mrs. A, thank you! Tanya has also so kindly offered me her's but she is rather busy right now and i want her to focus on other stuff! I'll go scour Amazon and ebay and see what I find! You are right, after a while I hope I won't use it much and that I will be more relaxed but for now it would be so nice!)

HUGS!
Sara H
You definitely shouldn't go alone. If the results show increased risk of mental or physical disabilities, you don't want to hear that alone. But I'm not sure I would bring my mom either. I so don't have that kind of relationship with my mom and she would probably be more upset than I would be, but it depends on your own relationship. I would suggest asking a friend to go with you; someone less emotionally attached who can drive you home afterwards.

Oh, and since the beans move around so much at 12 wk, don't be surprised if they can't get a good measurement right away. It took the tech about 3 tries, each spaced by about 20-30 minutes and 1-2 L of water (in order to "force" DS into a position on his side where they could read the NT). By the time she got it, I had about 3 L of water in my bladder and her pushing DS around and the u/s probe on top of that nearly made me pee on the table. Just FYI.

Sara H
Sara H

January 27th, 2012, 7:14 pm #10

I'll call and double check.

Thank you so much for the "take a friend" advice, I will. You make very good points, thank you! And thanks for the wiggle warning!