Question for post-delivery mothers

Question for post-delivery mothers

Bethpky
Bethpky

November 22nd, 2011, 9:54 pm #1

The "glow" of pregnancy has now subsided much to my dismay. Unfortunately, the hormone drop has been more significant that I'd hoped. My hair began shedding about a month ago, and today I pulled out what seems like a handful when I washed my hair this morning. Has anyone experienced such a thing? Could it be tied in with breastfeeding?

I actually went to my old RE today, and he's testing my TSH, iron, Vitamin D, etc. In addition to testing those things, I asked him to test my AMH, FSH, E2, etc. just to see where I am on the menopause scale. DH and I probably won't TTC again, but I'd somehow feel better having a doctor tell me that I'm probably not likely to conceive again rather than pulling the plug on my own. I'm having significant issues with pelvic prolapse (hopefully none of you will experience this), so my treatment options are dependent upon whether I intend to go through labor again.

Spencer has his first ear infection, so I'm learning what it's like to be a working/nursing mother with a sick child. God bless the mothers of the world! We wear many hats. I'll gladly take all suggestions on time management.

sch1star
sch1star

November 22nd, 2011, 10:08 pm #2

My stylist had a baby this year. She is young and beautiful and without IF issues. She warned me that if I feel I have even major hair loss, not to worry. She lost a lot herself and sees it all the time - especially in the front hairline, she said (she mentioned it's a great time to cut bangs of you don't already have them). Hope this puts your mind slightly more at ease.

I hope the ear infection and prolapse resolve soon and give you a break. SuperMom!

Alli
Alli

November 22nd, 2011, 10:29 pm #3

The "glow" of pregnancy has now subsided much to my dismay. Unfortunately, the hormone drop has been more significant that I'd hoped. My hair began shedding about a month ago, and today I pulled out what seems like a handful when I washed my hair this morning. Has anyone experienced such a thing? Could it be tied in with breastfeeding?

I actually went to my old RE today, and he's testing my TSH, iron, Vitamin D, etc. In addition to testing those things, I asked him to test my AMH, FSH, E2, etc. just to see where I am on the menopause scale. DH and I probably won't TTC again, but I'd somehow feel better having a doctor tell me that I'm probably not likely to conceive again rather than pulling the plug on my own. I'm having significant issues with pelvic prolapse (hopefully none of you will experience this), so my treatment options are dependent upon whether I intend to go through labor again.

Spencer has his first ear infection, so I'm learning what it's like to be a working/nursing mother with a sick child. God bless the mothers of the world! We wear many hats. I'll gladly take all suggestions on time management.
I would also pull out handfuls. It's has stopped now so hopefully will stop for you soon. I haven't been back to the OB, but thinking of getting my FSH/E2/AMH tested out of sheer curiousity. I have maxed out my out of pocket insurance so bring the tests on!

I feel for you with the sick baby. We've had 3 colds (well 5 including Dh and I) and an ear infection. Use saline drops, humidifier and Vicks!

bigboy
bigboy

November 22nd, 2011, 10:44 pm #4

lost tons of hair. it was when i stopped breastfeeding. would clog the drain profusely!!!

Jamie
Jamie

November 23rd, 2011, 1:10 am #5

Everything looked good until about five months after the birth when I started losing handfuls of hair. I think that while you are pregnant you don't lose the number of hairs that you normally do, so then when you finally shed it's a ton. It does level off though--you won't be bald! My hair is now about the same as pre-conception (maybe just a tad thinner in one spot). I think staying on good quality vitamins and being sure to take some iron if you need it will help. Good luck!

bigboy
bigboy

November 23rd, 2011, 1:16 am #6

it was exactly 5 months after the birth (which about coincided when i had to stop bfing). i had so much hair loss.

November 23rd, 2011, 1:33 am #7

My hair felt so sparse that my head was cold in the winter. Brrrrr! I bought Nioxin, which is a hair shampoo and conditioner that helps restore growth. It helped a lot, although I have had contact with other moms who said it didn't help them, so who knows if it was that or just that my hair started growing back in.

It started falling out in clumps while I was still BFing ~5 months PP.

It'll stop after a while. But, I know how alarming it can be!

Hugs,
Meg

Bethpky
Bethpky

November 23rd, 2011, 2:35 am #8

Your responses have made me feel SO MUCH better. Thank you!

Spencer has bounced back from the ear infection and seems to be on the mend.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! May all of us remember to be extra thankful for the blessings we've received this year. My Mother reminded me today that I've been pregnant the past two Thanksgivings - two years ago with the twins I lost and last year with Spencer. Every day I look at my child and think how lucky I am that my dream finally came true. I may be bald and have a broken "you know what" but he's worth it!

Rebekah
Rebekah

November 23rd, 2011, 3:58 pm #9

I too had hair loss. Like Jaime suggested on the hormones, but it does stop.
Our DD had tubes finally. I held out as long as possible. They are really from Oct-may. Her tubes only lasted one season
But we are hoping her ear canals have matured a but for this season!
I work 4 days a week and DH full time. I am the queen of time
Management! I would be happy to share what has worked for us. It is really about planning ahead on the weekend for the
Work week. Mostly meals and laundry and ironing. We brown bag it every day and I do manage
A healthy balanced meal at night. We do not do our own cleaning but since we are never home the place stays clean for the most part, so we have someone come twice a month. Almost every weekend I do a big pit of something
That can freeze: chili, soups etc. That is usually one meal a week. Mondays are usually meatless in our house and ties are a leftover from the weekend. I strive for a crock pot a week. And we'll sometimes grill up several
Proteins on the weekend and add to salads etc. Same thing with hard boiled eggs and veggies cut up. Let me know if there is any other things you are interested in. Send me an email as well: RLHouck2002 at yahoo dot com.

Bethpky
Bethpky

November 23rd, 2011, 7:41 pm #10

I'll definitely e-mail you this weekend. This plan sounds great.

Time management has never been my strong suit, so I need all the help/advice I can get. I feel like my life is running me and that I'm not running my life.