Prenatal vitamins

Prenatal vitamins

June 26th, 2011, 1:18 pm #1

Hi ladies,

Do you think there is a big difference b/w over the counter and prescription prenatal vitamins? I am taking over the counter and did not even think to ask about prescription.
If anyone has any experience or has read up on studies, any advice is greatly appreciated?

MargieD
MargieD

June 26th, 2011, 1:26 pm #2

They give free prenatal vitamins. You do need a prescription, though. You can simply call the nurse and have them call it in....

For those who don't know - Meijer is kinda like Walmart, but nicer and have stores in the Midwest.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 26th, 2011, 3:09 pm #3

Hi ladies,

Do you think there is a big difference b/w over the counter and prescription prenatal vitamins? I am taking over the counter and did not even think to ask about prescription.
If anyone has any experience or has read up on studies, any advice is greatly appreciated?
only because I get them free if they are generic and I use my mail-order RX benefit. So I figure why pay OTC prices when I can save money.

I know some of the ladies on the boards like the Stuart vits which are OTC.
http://www.stuartprenatal.com/
As you can see, the Rx version is Duet.

I use PR Natal, which used to be called Pruet, which is the generic version of Duet.

If you do use OTC, whether Stuart or some other kind, try to inclde a DHA capsule. The one I used to use was Expecta made by Enfamil.

Look into your prescriptions benefits; you may be able to get prenatal vitamins for free altogether.

anonymous
anonymous

June 26th, 2011, 3:12 pm #4

http://www.preferaob.com/preferaob-dha.html

But I stuck with the free one.

sch1star
sch1star

June 27th, 2011, 12:05 am #5

Hi ladies,

- some have less folic acid than others, in particular, but what I was going to say is that they're not all created equal when it comes to size, frequency, and taste (no ladies I am not talking about that!! sheesh! )

Especially those of you who are headed into possible ms, just an FYI. I wouldn't get a bunch of bottles of anything you haven't seen (think horse pills), smelled, or have to take three times a day.

I got to the point where just looking at a PNV made me gag. I had to be on chewables for awhile, till I got over the hump!

ZakiaZ
ZakiaZ

June 27th, 2011, 3:09 pm #6

Hi ladies,

She had sent me some very useful info about this. She is neutral and represents no one. Her job is to research every thing about the supps. out there and report back on quality, content, etc. She highly recommended Opti-Natal which I took, years before getting pg., throughout both pgs. and still take it today.

It has a WICKED combo of B vits. and you take 6 pills throughout the day so there is very little or no wastage since your body can only absorb so much at one time. It is NOT the best to take a one a day vitamin.

The only thing is that I had to take extra iron and folic acid on top of it but after the first tri, I didn't need the extra folic acid.

Materna is one of the worst on the market. Your body can only absorb about 5% of the nutrient content.

Presc. is not necessarily better than over the counter. Matarna costs about 50 bucks for a one month supply. It's EXPENSIVE! The main advantage to prescription is that it may be covered by some drug plans but I was looking for the absolute best and I could afford it AND was available where I'm located so that was my choice.

Z.

June 28th, 2011, 6:55 pm #7

Hi ladies,

My OB told me it was the same the only difference was sometimes the amount of Folic Acid was less in the OTC ones.
So make sure if you're taking OTC vitamins that they have at least 800mg of Folic Acid.

I buy mine from Amazon and suplement with some more Folic Acid, to get to 1200 and with DHA.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029O ... os_product
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F0RA34

These are the ones I take and I took the same ones with my first baby.

08/01/2007 TTC#1
09/26/2007 BFP
12/08/2007 m/c at 10 1/2 weeks (D&C)
1/18/2008 TTC#1 again
2/20/2008 BFP
10/22/2008 DS #1 - Sebastian is born
11/2009 TTC#2
04/2010 Referred to RE
05/2010 Fermara cycle #1
06/2010 BFP - chemical pregnancy
06/2010 CD3 - FSH 20.7 (First time I've heard of FSH)
06/2010 Fermara cycle #2
07/06/2010 AMH results in 0.10
07/12/2010 BFP - Chemical Pregnancy #2
02/13/2011 TTC with Dr. Milki in CA.
03/11/2011 BFN
03/12/2011 Decided to not cycle or TTC anymore.
04/26/2011 Missed my period by 4 days, tested and got a BFP
05/15/2011 6w4d - Saw baby and heartbeat
05/23/2011 7w5d - Baby is doing great
06/28/2011 13w1d - Baby is growing like weed, almost out of the first trimester!