peanut butter....can we eat it?

peanut butter....can we eat it?

November 21st, 2011, 4:29 pm #1

Now with this business that Kate Middleton may be pg and rumors arising because she would not eat peanut butter.....I ask- am I the only person that has not heard of this? Does eating peanut butter while pg increase the possibility that our LO might have a nut allergy?
I'll admit, if I am on the go....a rice cake with peanut butter or almond butter is a grab and go.
What do you think?

Tanya
Tanya

November 21st, 2011, 4:53 pm #2

I asked my OB and he said that it was fine, it is an old wives tale

MargieD
MargieD

November 21st, 2011, 5:22 pm #3

Now with this business that Kate Middleton may be pg and rumors arising because she would not eat peanut butter.....I ask- am I the only person that has not heard of this? Does eating peanut butter while pg increase the possibility that our LO might have a nut allergy?
I'll admit, if I am on the go....a rice cake with peanut butter or almond butter is a grab and go.
What do you think?
And quite honestly - there was nothing I really stayed away from (except for the usual seafood no-nos but I didn't/don't care for seafood)... since I had nausea for 4 months, I ate what I could tolerate...

DD is 2 years old and loves peanut butter. Eats them by the spoonfuls and also loves roasted peanuts. Crazy girl...

My nephew gets a little sick after eating a LOT of peanuts, but his father / my BIL is somewhat allergic - so that's probably genetic. Other nephew is fine.

November 21st, 2011, 6:24 pm #4

What do you think?
you should stay away in the third-tri. Who knows, maybe it is an old wives tale...

But, I know someone who said she was obsessed with peanut butter during her PG, ate it religiously every day. Her DD has a severe peanut allergy and she blames herself. Maybe no correlation, but I'd probably wonder about it if I'd overdone it, too.

Hugs,
Meg

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

November 21st, 2011, 8:02 pm #5

What do you think?
I did hear about the Kate Middleton peanut thing and thinking that I didn't know about that. I really don't recall being told to lay off the peanuts.

Btw, interesting piece of trivia! I just saw a segment on TV recently where it was noted that peanuts are not nuts - they are considered legumes.

Kristen
Kristen

November 21st, 2011, 10:24 pm #6

What do you think?
I ate a ton of PB early in my first pg - throughout the first and second tri, but I didn't really crave it in the 3rd, so not so much then. But after, I also nursed my DS and continued to eat it then.. I had no idea. He is 22 months now and I still haven't given him PB, so I couldn't say if it had an affect or not. I think if you have a family history of peanut allergies, you would want to be cautious, but my OB and lactation consultants said not to worry about it. So, i didn't (sort of)...

November 21st, 2011, 10:54 pm #7

What do you think?
Thanks everyone..
and Mrs A, that is a funny bit of trivia. It is nice to see you have time to peek on the boards.
We'll have to get you to let us know what baby likes and dislikes...I am in the buying phase and can not get over the abundance of 'stuff'.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

November 22nd, 2011, 5:29 am #8

yes I have feedback on the insanity of baby "stuff".

November 22nd, 2011, 6:13 pm #9

What do you think?
is to stay away as a nursing mom because it does go through the milk and too much can cause sensitivity/allergy. That's what I heard.

as a pg woman, go ahead. Honey is ok to eat too (a friend cautioned me against honey while I was pg so I googled it) with honey, it's a baby under 1 who can't eat honey because it may have botulism in it and their guts aren't equipped for fighting that just yet.

jm

November 23rd, 2011, 12:59 am #10

Had not heard of the honey one too!