Patch vs flare protocol ... Success stories?

Patch vs flare protocol ... Success stories?

Molly
Molly

September 5th, 2011, 12:05 am #1

Hello,

Looking for some positive stories...

I am 41. I have done 2 flare protocols. I was a low responder, with just a few follies that made it to retrieval each time.

Will be starting patch protool very soon.

I am interested in hearing from people who have done both protocols to learn about potentially different responses and results you may have had between the 2 protocols.

Thank you,
M

JulesM
JulesM

September 5th, 2011, 12:29 pm #2

I can't remember the exact dose I did on the flare protocol but I know it was high dose gonal f and maybe repronex. Anyway I responded pretty decent, got 8 eggs, 7 of which fertilized and my E2 was over 2000 at ER but I only had one of those embryos make it to a day 3 transfer and ended in a BFN. I did patch protocol twice. The first time I was with an RE who had minimal experience with EPP and I feel my monitoring was pretty off. I did respond pretty well, had 3 out of 7 embryos make it to ET but only one was decent. I ended up w/ a BFP which ended in early m/c.
My last cycle which lead me to my current pregnancy was also EPP... with a new RE wwho had a lot of experience with the protocol. I was on 300 of gonal F and 300 menapur daily and added ganirelix when my e2 reach over 300. I stimmed 14 or 15 days and she let my follies get pretty big... had several in the 20s. I ended up with 15!!! eggs, all fertlized, did a day 3 transfer of (2) 7 cell and (1) 8 cell, tested positive at home 9dpo.
let me know if you have any other questions.
BTW: I am 38 and highest FSH 13.5

Molly
Molly

September 5th, 2011, 4:01 pm #3

Sounds like you had a much stronger response to patch. That is great to have so many ollies and to ALL fertilize. Did you freeze the rest?

How old were you at time of conception?

I am about to start ptch protocol, i am in the pre- cycle phase, checking for surge. 10 days later i will dd patches, and the next day ganirelix. I am not sure why ganirelix this cycle since there would be no danger of ovultion.

anonymous
anonymous

September 5th, 2011, 4:05 pm #4

I can't remember the exact dose I did on the flare protocol but I know it was high dose gonal f and maybe repronex. Anyway I responded pretty decent, got 8 eggs, 7 of which fertilized and my E2 was over 2000 at ER but I only had one of those embryos make it to a day 3 transfer and ended in a BFN. I did patch protocol twice. The first time I was with an RE who had minimal experience with EPP and I feel my monitoring was pretty off. I did respond pretty well, had 3 out of 7 embryos make it to ET but only one was decent. I ended up w/ a BFP which ended in early m/c.
My last cycle which lead me to my current pregnancy was also EPP... with a new RE wwho had a lot of experience with the protocol. I was on 300 of gonal F and 300 menapur daily and added ganirelix when my e2 reach over 300. I stimmed 14 or 15 days and she let my follies get pretty big... had several in the 20s. I ended up with 15!!! eggs, all fertlized, did a day 3 transfer of (2) 7 cell and (1) 8 cell, tested positive at home 9dpo.
let me know if you have any other questions.
BTW: I am 38 and highest FSH 13.5
What size follie is deemed mature for retrieval purposes? What is the largest before its overcooked ( if you know hat i mean)?

I belive my last RE said 15mm was mature, but they didn like to the bigger ones to get too big. As i start new cycle, i am trying to balance expectations.

M

Molly
Molly

September 5th, 2011, 4:06 pm #5

That was me not anon above

JulesM
JulesM

September 5th, 2011, 4:35 pm #6

Sounds like you had a much stronger response to patch. That is great to have so many ollies and to ALL fertilize. Did you freeze the rest?

How old were you at time of conception?

I am about to start ptch protocol, i am in the pre- cycle phase, checking for surge. 10 days later i will dd patches, and the next day ganirelix. I am not sure why ganirelix this cycle since there would be no danger of ovultion.
Which was upsetting at the time... but I got what I set out for so in the end, couldn't be happier. I was 38 and almost 5 months at conception.
I also did as you are doing, the patch starting 10 days after surge and ganirelix x 3 days starting the day after the 1st patch placed.
Good Luck!!!

JulesM
JulesM

September 5th, 2011, 4:39 pm #7

What size follie is deemed mature for retrieval purposes? What is the largest before its overcooked ( if you know hat i mean)?

I belive my last RE said 15mm was mature, but they didn like to the bigger ones to get too big. As i start new cycle, i am trying to balance expectations.

M
This is were my new RE differed from my previous (and most other REs, I believe). Most say when the widest measurement is 18mm it is mature but my new RE added up the length and width of the follies and when they measured a total of 36mm she called them mature. For example, most follicles aren't perfectly round, most are kind of squished. So I would have a follie measuring 24x12 or 26x10 or 19x17mm... does that make sense? I strongly believe that is why I got so many mature eggs, she didn't just go in when one side measured 18mm.

Molly
Molly

September 5th, 2011, 6:22 pm #8

Which was upsetting at the time... but I got what I set out for so in the end, couldn't be happier. I was 38 and almost 5 months at conception.
I also did as you are doing, the patch starting 10 days after surge and ganirelix x 3 days starting the day after the 1st patch placed.
Good Luck!!!
Thank you, you made me hopeful!

Molly
Molly

September 5th, 2011, 6:25 pm #9

This is were my new RE differed from my previous (and most other REs, I believe). Most say when the widest measurement is 18mm it is mature but my new RE added up the length and width of the follies and when they measured a total of 36mm she called them mature. For example, most follicles aren't perfectly round, most are kind of squished. So I would have a follie measuring 24x12 or 26x10 or 19x17mm... does that make sense? I strongly believe that is why I got so many mature eggs, she didn't just go in when one side measured 18mm.
Thanks again... Any idea what is too big?

JulesM
JulesM

September 5th, 2011, 7:38 pm #10

I was petrified mine would be too big but they ended up fertilizing so I'm really not sure. Good luck and fingers crossed for you on this protocol!