p4 levels (sorry for so many posts on this subject)

p4 levels (sorry for so many posts on this subject)

smrc
smrc

June 20th, 2012, 8:49 pm #1

I have hit the 15W mark and as of last Thurs C.ooper had me discontinue my p4 support (which was down to crinone 1x day at that point). I did a p4 check today and it is at 33.5 (down from a range of mid-40s to mid-60s). C.ooper told me NOT to be concerned, that a dip is normal, and to recheck in one week, but so hard not to be worried or want to go back on.

I will search for old threads, since I know others have been in the same boat, but any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks and can't wait until the time comes that I finally feel secure about this pg (never? ).

SMRC

Erin
Erin

June 20th, 2012, 9:16 pm #2

I posted recently about the P4 that went down to 31.9. I'm 9.5wks and still on P4 (so not the same as you) but my P4 yesterday (one week after the lower reading) was 63.5. I did increase my P4 a little (from 1cc to 1.25cc) but I don't think it's possible that the 0.25cc would cause it to double. A couple of RNs (the one at the RE and another at the OBs office) keep trying to remind me that P4 is a "pulsatile" hormone, meaning that it is released in bursts, so you could check it now or in a few hours and the levels would be different. Given that, and how experienced and famously conservative Cooper is about P4, I honestly would not worry (or more honestly, I would really try not to worry- seems an impossible task these days!). Hope that helps a little. Congrats on being solidly in the 2nd trimester- that's so great!!!

anna
anna

June 20th, 2012, 11:01 pm #3

I have hit the 15W mark and as of last Thurs C.ooper had me discontinue my p4 support (which was down to crinone 1x day at that point). I did a p4 check today and it is at 33.5 (down from a range of mid-40s to mid-60s). C.ooper told me NOT to be concerned, that a dip is normal, and to recheck in one week, but so hard not to be worried or want to go back on.

I will search for old threads, since I know others have been in the same boat, but any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks and can't wait until the time comes that I finally feel secure about this pg (never? ).

SMRC
the exact same thing happen to me, with the same #s as yours!!!! thats what they did for me in summary

around week 16, P4= 70---> stop support
blood week in a week, p4=35
Blood work in a week or so, P4=30
Blood work in a week or so, P4=28

after the last blood work i was asked to take one prometruim per night (same as what i was doing till week 16) till the end of week 36. I am 24 weeks prg today and I havent checked my p4 in the past 3 weeks, I will check my p4 again tomorrow and we shall see what happens. I am planning to stay on p4 support till the end but still do blood work to make sure it doesnt go down that much.

smrc
smrc

June 21st, 2012, 12:57 am #4

I posted recently about the P4 that went down to 31.9. I'm 9.5wks and still on P4 (so not the same as you) but my P4 yesterday (one week after the lower reading) was 63.5. I did increase my P4 a little (from 1cc to 1.25cc) but I don't think it's possible that the 0.25cc would cause it to double. A couple of RNs (the one at the RE and another at the OBs office) keep trying to remind me that P4 is a "pulsatile" hormone, meaning that it is released in bursts, so you could check it now or in a few hours and the levels would be different. Given that, and how experienced and famously conservative Cooper is about P4, I honestly would not worry (or more honestly, I would really try not to worry- seems an impossible task these days!). Hope that helps a little. Congrats on being solidly in the 2nd trimester- that's so great!!!
for chiming in so quickly and I remembered your experience and read your past post when I ran a search of old threads - so thanks. I do remember that the level fluctuates and I guess the good news is 33 is not THAT low (and C.ooper was ok with it) and I will go back in again for another check in another 3-4 days. If it keeps going down, then I think I will have real cause for concern.

Thanks again for your post!

smrc
smrc

June 21st, 2012, 12:59 am #5

the exact same thing happen to me, with the same #s as yours!!!! thats what they did for me in summary

around week 16, P4= 70---> stop support
blood week in a week, p4=35
Blood work in a week or so, P4=30
Blood work in a week or so, P4=28

after the last blood work i was asked to take one prometruim per night (same as what i was doing till week 16) till the end of week 36. I am 24 weeks prg today and I havent checked my p4 in the past 3 weeks, I will check my p4 again tomorrow and we shall see what happens. I am planning to stay on p4 support till the end but still do blood work to make sure it doesnt go down that much.
this is oddly similar!!!?? I feel so much better after seeing your numbers all laid out (and knowing that your pg has still progressed well). It looks like I should only really get concerned (and think about going back on p4 support) if those numbers keep going down. I was told to wait one week to re-test, but may go back on Sat or Mon, just to see where things are. Thanks again.

anna
anna

June 21st, 2012, 1:15 am #6

Last week I had a phone consult with dr. check because I was freaked out, he wasnt very concern. I asked him if my placenta doesnt make P4 does it mean it doesnt make food for baby as well and he said its not relevant and I asked him what happens if I dont take p4 and he said, maybe you will be fine maybe you go to preterm labor so why risk it better take something that doesnt hurt the baby and support the prg. So after all p4 of 30 is not that bad and my OBGYn and the high risk dr that I went and see both thought its irrelevant but I dont want to risk any thing. I am a little scared that my P4 is low buy my baby is all happy and kicking me and that assures e that I am headed in the right direction. You will be fine dont worry.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 21st, 2012, 3:24 pm #7

SMRC
On my drive in to work last week I saw a sign up by the church I pass; it read "DONT'WORRY, PRAY."

I thought how simple yet so true. We don't accomplish anything by worrying but with prayer lots can be possible - certainly more productive than worrying.

When I was pregnant I prayed every single night. There was literally just one night that I didn't pray. Praying helped ease my worrying. Don't get me wrong - I still worried. But I tried my best to bottle those worries during the day and release them in prayer at night before bed.

I owe you an email back but the problem is that at work I don't have access to personal email. Aaargh. And these days it's not the easiest to get on the computer at home at night!

You're going to be fine with your P4 because you're monitoring it. It's going to be ok. I promise!!

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

June 21st, 2012, 6:24 pm #8

SMRC
Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

All I can say is that I am thinking about you and sending my prayers and best wishes. You are where I want to be in a few months!

smrc
smrc

June 22nd, 2012, 12:06 pm #9

and thinking of you and always keeping my fingers crossed for you! If I can be of any help (except on issues involving p4 ) let me know. SMRC

smrc
smrc

June 22nd, 2012, 12:15 pm #10

On my drive in to work last week I saw a sign up by the church I pass; it read "DONT'WORRY, PRAY."

I thought how simple yet so true. We don't accomplish anything by worrying but with prayer lots can be possible - certainly more productive than worrying.

When I was pregnant I prayed every single night. There was literally just one night that I didn't pray. Praying helped ease my worrying. Don't get me wrong - I still worried. But I tried my best to bottle those worries during the day and release them in prayer at night before bed.

I owe you an email back but the problem is that at work I don't have access to personal email. Aaargh. And these days it's not the easiest to get on the computer at home at night!

You're going to be fine with your P4 because you're monitoring it. It's going to be ok. I promise!!
All we can do is monitor and the rest is really out of our hands to a large extent! The worrying is probably my attempt to try to keep some control over this (totally uncontrollable) process! I said LOTS of prayers during the first few weeks of this PG and will start again.

And then get that p4 rechecked next week.

Thanks for your wise post. Hope work is going OK!