Obgyn care- how often do you go for u/s?

Obgyn care- how often do you go for u/s?

Kelly
Kelly

May 16th, 2011, 2:53 pm #1

I have been spoiled by my RE having u/s scan done every week until 10weeks and now it's going to be once a month but that i don't mind. I found out they only check the heart beat and send me another place for a full scan. Is this normal? How can the office not have an u/s machine?

Dee
Dee

May 16th, 2011, 3:35 pm #2

has an ultrasound machine, and a sonographer that works there full time. It depends on which OB you see, I guess.

gone_fshn
gone_fshn

May 16th, 2011, 7:20 pm #3

I have been spoiled by my RE having u/s scan done every week until 10weeks and now it's going to be once a month but that i don't mind. I found out they only check the heart beat and send me another place for a full scan. Is this normal? How can the office not have an u/s machine?
After I was released to my OB I had three u/s done at the perinatologist's office which had a 3D machine: 1) 12 weeks (as part of NT scan); 2) 20 weeks; 3) 28 weeks - follow up to check my placenta (looked low at 20 weeks, though by 28 weeks moved up). It was definitely an adjustment as I was also quite spoiled by biweekly u/s at my RE!

In addition I had a regular u/s at OB at 37 weeks, and will likely have one this week to check baby's position.

HTH!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

May 16th, 2011, 8:45 pm #4

My old (and just fired) OB only did u/s like gone_fshn described. One at first pre-natal visit, then at 12 weeks (as part of NT scan); 20 weeks (level 2/anatomy scan); 3) 28 weeks (growth check) and then whatever would be called for from that point to delivery. He has a regular u/s machine but refers out to the perinatologist for the milestone u/s I mentioned above. He uses a handheld doppler to check h/b at my scheduled visits.

My new OB says that because I am advanced maternal age, have a history of infertility, 2 losses (although early ones), and have been experiencing low progesterone, that that automatically "qualifies" me for one monthly u/s. His office has 3/D u/s machines.

Kelly
Kelly

May 16th, 2011, 9:20 pm #5

Thanks for the info. At 12 weeks i had to go to perinotologist too and I will need to schedule one for 20 weeks. I am just so bummed that the ob's office doesnt have an in house machine. That is just so odd to me and i have to drive out further for perintologist office.