OB and P4 issues... Need to vent... (m/c ment in passing)

OB and P4 issues... Need to vent... (m/c ment in passing)

Erin
Erin

July 25th, 2012, 8:21 pm #1

Hope you all don't mind me venting a bit... I had an issue over the weekend where I had a pain in the middle of my pelvis and some weird urinary symptoms. I called the on-call service and was told to call back if I didn't receive a call back in 20mins. I waited 45mins... No call. Had Dr. paged again and waited another 45mins... No call. Then I called back 30mins later and spoke to the call center manager. The doctor then called back, a full 2 hours after I originally called. Not acceptable to me. Turns out this was a doctor from another practice that was covering my practice's call. She was clueless, wanted me to leave urine but didn't know if the hospital's lab was open and when I confided in her that I'd worked really hard to get this pg so m/c was on my mind, her response was: "You're 14wks, right? Well, if you're miscarrying, there's nothing we can do about it, so it doesn't really matter". Um, what?! I was incredulous. But my DH and I went into the hospital to find the lab closed and went up to the OB floor. The doc had left no info about me coming in, wasn't there and couldn't even be reached by phone when a second-time mom came in in what appeared to be very active labor. I obviously left really uncomfortable with this other practice.

So, on Monday, I called my NP at the practice and relayed my concern about this other doctor and this other practice and asked how often they took my practice's call. She was a little cagey about it and said the practice manager would have to give me a call. She finally did today and told me that they have decided to move to a 50% call schedule with the other practice to save money, meaning that you now have a 50/50 chance of delivering with your own practice. So now I'm scrambling to find another OB/midwife. Really not fun.

As a bonus, I've been trying to go off my P4 and got down to 0.25cc PIO every night, but my P4 keeps going down and today was only 30.9 (which seems really low at this stage?). I'm not going to be able to find another practice that will keep monitoring me, so now I'll have to keep taking it in the dark. Ugh.

Sorry for the long vent- I'm just really frustrated. Thanks for listening...

Teresa
Teresa

July 25th, 2012, 9:37 pm #2

Ugh! Where to begin.

Ok, first things first..are you feeling better, physically? Did you ever wind up seeing a dr or the nurse about what was bothering you initially? What did they say?

Agreed, that's WAY too long a wait time to get a call back. I would've been upset about that!

It is very frustrating to hear "if you are miscarrying there's nothing we can do about it" (as well as it being an insensitive thing to say), especially when, to your point, you have gone through so much to get here. Sometimes they are so blunt. I was told this, (in a nicer way than you were)- at around 11 weeks when we had to call the Dr over the weekend because I was having horrible cramping (turned out to be nothing) and still, hearing those words hurt, even though I knew the reality was that if I was miscarrying, they really couldn't do much.

I think I'm confused in that, if they are giving you a 50/50 chance of delivering with your practice or theirs..shouldn't they have you see the OBs at the other practice? That seems strange to me that they wouldn't. Maybe I'm missing something? I know at my practice there are 5 doctors and I have to see all of them at one point or another. It sounds like you would feel better finding a new practice. Still, you have time and if you're going to feel more comfortable then it's for the best.

As for the P4, I will say this. I was less than thrilled a few weeks ago when my reading came back at 38 which I was told was "normal". I decided with that number, I wasn't comfortable weaning (this was taken at 13w)

Since I have spent WAY too much time stressing about this F*^%$ng P4, and have tried to ask Drs questions about it and have received no support from them with my staying on, weaning off and testing me for it "at this point in pregnancy", (they test but with the eye roll and I'm over it) Therefore, I have made the decision for myself that I AM staying on it. I'm not going to ask for blood tests, I am staying on it and that's that!

I am 15w2d and SO much of this pregnancy I have spent worrying about weaning off P4 and test results- it makes me sad. I refuse to spend one more day worrying about coming off progesterone.
Since it can't hurt, I'm MUCH more relaxed staying on it and that's the end of it. I'll probably tell my dr when I see her again (I've been having appointments with the other drs in the practice and it hasn't come up yet, the one time it did, the dr said I didn't need to be on it past 12 weeks, you know, stop cold turkey, the whole drill) Or I might keep it to myself.

Bottom line for me: I lost 4 pregnancies and I was never on P4, this one I'm on it and knock wood, the baby is thriving...Coincidence? Well, no way am I chancing it. Nope- I am SOOOO not taking ANY chances... and now there's no more stress... w/that anyway . You have to do what's best for you, be it stay on, or monitor/wean slowly and patiently. I hope you can come to a decision where you'll feel confident in your choice. You have to do whats best for YOU, as well as eliminate as much stress as you can!

I'm really sorry your having to go through this...it stinks!I hope you're able to find a more "with it" and sensitive practice!

July 25th, 2012, 11:05 pm #3

Hope you all don't mind me venting a bit... I had an issue over the weekend where I had a pain in the middle of my pelvis and some weird urinary symptoms. I called the on-call service and was told to call back if I didn't receive a call back in 20mins. I waited 45mins... No call. Had Dr. paged again and waited another 45mins... No call. Then I called back 30mins later and spoke to the call center manager. The doctor then called back, a full 2 hours after I originally called. Not acceptable to me. Turns out this was a doctor from another practice that was covering my practice's call. She was clueless, wanted me to leave urine but didn't know if the hospital's lab was open and when I confided in her that I'd worked really hard to get this pg so m/c was on my mind, her response was: "You're 14wks, right? Well, if you're miscarrying, there's nothing we can do about it, so it doesn't really matter". Um, what?! I was incredulous. But my DH and I went into the hospital to find the lab closed and went up to the OB floor. The doc had left no info about me coming in, wasn't there and couldn't even be reached by phone when a second-time mom came in in what appeared to be very active labor. I obviously left really uncomfortable with this other practice.

So, on Monday, I called my NP at the practice and relayed my concern about this other doctor and this other practice and asked how often they took my practice's call. She was a little cagey about it and said the practice manager would have to give me a call. She finally did today and told me that they have decided to move to a 50% call schedule with the other practice to save money, meaning that you now have a 50/50 chance of delivering with your own practice. So now I'm scrambling to find another OB/midwife. Really not fun.

As a bonus, I've been trying to go off my P4 and got down to 0.25cc PIO every night, but my P4 keeps going down and today was only 30.9 (which seems really low at this stage?). I'm not going to be able to find another practice that will keep monitoring me, so now I'll have to keep taking it in the dark. Ugh.

Sorry to hear the on call doctor's response. That's just rude. I mean yes, she is not looking at your chart or history in front of her but you were upfront about your journey to get here. So, a little compassion?

It is very common to share after hours with another practice. In fact many practices that deliver at the same hospital do this. Your chance of delivering with another practice (at least in my hospital) was only if you delivered in the middle of the night. So that overnight shift is shared among 10 doctors instead of 5. Otherwise you would get a doctor from your practice.

When it comes to delivering your baby, bedside manners is not one in the same with safe and effective delivery. Just remember that.

I had met 4 of the 5 doctors in my practice and met the final one at 37 weeks. And she was kind of a weirdo. I mean just strange, quirky, and abrupt. I didn't dislike her but she was not my first choice. I went into labor in the middle of the very same night and guess who was on call all day the following day? Quirky, odd doctor. Though you don't nearly interact with the doctors that much -- just at the end. And literally she told me at 8:30pm if I delivered my baby before 9pm she would give me her leftover Chinese food. Strange. Of course I hadn't eaten all day so it sort of sounded good. You know though? She's was a blessing in disguise. The hospital was short staffed due to an abundance of people who just delivered so it was just the nurse and my husband holding each leg and the doctor guiding the baby. The monitors never picked up the fact that the cord was wrapped around Avery's neck twice. And with amazing surgical precision (my husband watched) she halted the pushing and made several snips in like 2 sec. Awesome. I make all my GYN appts with her. She's still strange. But always tells me I will have another kid in some way

July 25th, 2012, 11:43 pm #4

Just to let you know, I went thru something similar with doctors who just don't have a sensitive bone in their bodies about m/c and the struggle and goal of a healthy pregnancy after years of pain. I had a m/c prior at approx 12 weeks and approximately the same time last year I thought it was happening again. Got a line similar to yours when I called doctor on duty. You bet your sweet bippy that I went to the emergency room wasn't going to sick back and just do nothing.
I can tell you that same witchy doctor didn't deliver my lo, but I encountered her on my last day at the hospital and wound up writing to the President of the hospital b/c of her.

Best of luck

mel
mel

July 25th, 2012, 11:52 pm #5

It's amazing how some doctors really have no tact or proper bedside manner. That is really frustrating and totally unacceptable that you had to wait that long for a call back.

My OB was not the one to deliver my DD and I knew that going in that would likely be the case, as it would be whomever the dr on call was, and there are so many doctors in the practice that I wouldn't know who they were. I was actually okay with this, because I was very comfortable with the hospital. (Continuously in the top 10 hospitals in the US and best in my region.) More importantly for me was the care I received leading up to the birth and not the delivery itself.

While this wasn't a good experience for you, on the bright side, it is early enough for you to research doctors and hospitals that you ARE comfortable with and make the switch, if needed.

Vent away!!! I hope you are feeling better now though from what you initially were calling about.

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

July 26th, 2012, 6:08 am #6

first, i hope you are feeling better and that the original issue is resolved? did you figure out what was going on? it is just incredible and unacceptable to have to deal with such bullsh*t when you have a real life, sensitive medical situation affecting your pregnancy. how can docs not get that? for a doc to add stress to a stressful medical situation is just messed up. plain and simple. "it doesn't really matter"? really? that is a shocking and terrible thing to say. sorry you have to deal with this. undeniably an unnecessary stress, but hopefully you can just take your time and find a new practice without a lot of headache. better to know sooner than later, i guess. hang in there, erin!

oh, and on the P4, i can't remember where, but i've read on these boards that you can order your own blood work. i'll try to see if i can find the link, but if so, you can test your P4 as much as you like!

Erin
Erin

July 26th, 2012, 2:10 pm #7

I'm sorry- I should have mentioned that the symptoms got better by nighttime and my urine culture (which I finally convinced the labor nurse to take) was negative, so it was not a UTI. I'm actually having the pain (like a dull ache, not crampy) in my lower pelvis again, and I think ultimately it's probably just round ligament pain. I understand if there's not anything medically that they do if I was miscarrying, but the extremely cold, removed response immediately after I said how hard I'd worked for this pg, AND after I waited 2hrs for a call-back was all more than I could take. And watching that poor woman come in in labor with this insensitive doc that doesn't seem to answer pages or phone calls while she's ON CALL was also too much (that was the other part that concerned me Rebekah- I agree that sensitivity level doesn't always predict skill level, but ideally I'd really like both!). Broodyhen- I don't get how they don't "get it" either. Bul#&it is a good word for it .

Newbie- I'm so sorry you had to deal with that too. If I had had a higher level of concern, I would have marched into the ER too. Good for you for writing that letter! Mel- I think the one issue for me is that c-section rates vary highly between practices w/in the same hospital (this practice is actually based out of another hospital too... doesn't make sense to me...). I really want to avoid a c-section if at all possible for a couple of reasons, so that makes things more complicated. Two hours for a callback I agree is totally not okay.

My understanding with the call situation is that they're now doing 50/50 call period- not just overnights and weekends. They were just doing every other weekend, but now are switching to 50/50 coverage, and no Teresa, it doesn't make sense to me either. Others in the office said it didn't make sense to them either, but I think it's essentially a short-sighted financial decision. The thing that stinks is that I really liked my practice, but the delivery is really "it" so the risk of having these other people deliver me feels like too big a risk. At least that's my thinking now.

Thanks so much for listening and commenting- it helps a lot. Hope all of you are doing well!

jkl
jkl

July 26th, 2012, 2:37 pm #8

I would stay away from practices with only 1 or 2 doctors, my practice has like 7 or 8. Of course then you often end up with doctors that you don't know anyway so it is a hazard that is hard to avoid. I have met most of the doctors in my practice and like most of them. I also agree with the post above that sometimes the warm and fuzzy doctors are not as technically good as the other ones. Also, at delivery time the nurse does all the real work, my doc just showed up right before the baby came out. I think the most important thing is to be at a good hospital (with a NICU), usually good doctors and nurses are associated with good hospitals.

Sorry about that comment about m/c, that is kind of shocking. Good luck on finding a good practice!

jkl

July 26th, 2012, 3:58 pm #9

That whole situation of not calling would PISS ME OFF! You don't need that b/s! And if you were "miscarrying" at 14w, sometimes there are things that can be done! Some women's cervix prematurely dilates and they have to get an emergency cerclage placed to prevent going in to labor! So there! That's something they should check on! WTH....seriously, that's so fricken infuriating that that Dr said that to you!

The fact is, if you're talking to a Dr who doesn't know you and doesn't know your case, it SUCKS. When I was having strange "cramps" at 36w pg, i called my on call number and spoke to a midwife who told me it was just constipation and told me to go get milk of magnesia...so I did and then the next morning I had red blood. Called again and the same midwife said, "oh probably just irritation" ...ok, so I waited an hour and had more blood, called again and she said (almost bitchily) "oh just come in". Well guess what lady...I WAS IN LABOR! What a B for just brushing off all my concerns. Luckily by the time I got to the hospital MY Dr was on call and he was ready to do the c-section right then and there. He took my contractions a lot more seriously then this midwife who didn't know me.

So it's hard to find a practice that you trust all the Dr's, it really is. But just discuss with your Dr at your next appointment how you deal with needing to call and speak with someone who doesn't know your case.

Also, I was on progesterone until 30 weeks pg, that's how long it took for my body to start making its own.

TTC: Since Nov. 2006
Diagnosis: Ovarian Dysfunction & PCOS
28 Years Old
cd3 FSH 16.8
cd10 FSH 13.6
7 Unmonitored Cycles of Clomid
3 Unmonitored Cycles of Letrozole
Positive CCCT
TAB for cysts
1st Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed BDing - 5 mature follies - BFN
TAB for cysts
2nd Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 4 mature follies in play - BFN
3rd Cycle of 150 iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 2 follies - BFN
1st Cycle of Gonal F - 1 follie & cyst on right - BFN
TAB for a cycle
2nd Cycle of Gonal F = BFP!!!!!
11dpo Beta=27.9
14dpo Beta=120
16dpo Beta=210
18dpo Beta=429
21dpo Beta=1064
5w6d - baby measuring 3mm, h/b 101
6w6d - baby measuring 6mm, h/b 126
7w6d - baby 18mm, h/b 171, measuring ahead at 8w2d! RE noticed enlarged yolk sac so keeping a close eye on that
8w6d - baby 2.52cm with h/b of 174
9w5d - baby 3.22cm with h/b of 180 measuring 10w1d
10w6d - baby 4.34cmcm with h/b of 174 measuring 11w1d
12w u/s showed baby at 11.2cm with h/b of 162 - unfortunately, that evening I suffered a horrible m/c of a chromosomally NORMAL girl.... RIP my angel girl...you were loved....

Gonal F with Timed Intercourse-2WW
First cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse since m/c - BFN
2nd Cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse - BFN
TAB for a month on bcp's
3rd Cycle of Gonal F - BFP
-11dpo beta=14.9
-14dpo beta=45.7
-16dpo beta=140
-18dpo beta=366
u/s at 6w1d showed heart-rate of 114!!!!
u/s at 7w1d showed heart-rate of 141!!!!
u/s at 8w showed heart-rate of 179
u/s at 9w showed 2 SCH's, h/r of 197
u/s at 10w showed h/r of 175
u/s at 11w showed h/r of 180
u/s at 12 w showed h/r of 188
12w2d...m/c'd baby at home, lost too much blood, had to have emergency D&C...severely anemic....baby was a chromosomally normal boy
-developed a blood clot in leg 1 1/2 wks post D&C...saw a hematologist and had testing done and everything came back normal, will still treat me with Lovenex on next pregnancy

-First cycle since m/c....Gonal F, triggered with 8 mature follies, T/I - BFP!
-13dpo beta 106, progesterone 21.4
-15dpo beta 260, progesterone 12.2
-16dpo beta 411, progesterone 16
-20dpo beta 845, progesterone 19 (went in for u/s to rule out ectopic, couldn't see anything yet, but lining was thick)
-22dpo beta 1158, progesterone 18
-24dpo beta 1655, progesterone 20
-5w?? u/s showed 2 sacs...one measuring 4w0d, the other measuring 5w1d....possibly vanishing twin???
-6w u/s showed TWINS! 2 h/r's....121, 119. both measuring 6w1d! SCH 1cm
-At 7w pg, tested positive for lupus anticoagulant, on lovenox to treat it, TSH was 2.55
-7w2d u/s showed 2 babies measuring 7w4d & 7w3d, h/r's 158 & 153! SCH 2cm
-8w1d u/s showed 2 babies measuring 8w3d & 8w2d, h/r's 185 & 179! SCH 3cm
-10w2d u/s showed we lost baby A measuring 9w1d and had no h/r...baby B measured 10w1d with a h/r of 180...praying for Baby B to hang on, SCH gone, started thyroid med
-11w1d u/s showed Baby B measuring right on track, h/r of 174
-12w1d had a red bleeding episode & u/s showed Baby B measuring 1 day ahead and a h/r of 168, bleeding likely caused by Baby A's passing
-13w1d had some red spotting & u/s showed Baby B measuring 2 days behind and h/r of 157
-14w...baby measured 14w3d...and I suffered a horrible, very sudden miscarriage...another angel baby...that makes 4.
Saw Dr Mary Stephenson at U of Chicago for recurrent pregnancy loss....dx with Lupus Anticoagluant and Incompetent Cervix, will be treated with lovenox
5-25-11 - Had a Transabdominal Cerclage placed by Dr Haney at U of Chicago

Gonal F with Timed Intercourse (self medicated/unmonitored) BFN
Gonal F with Timed Intercourse: 7 follies in play - BFP at 10dpo!!!
12dpo hcg level 80.5, progesterone 16.8
14dpo hcg level 295, progesterone 18
6w3d u/s showed 1 baby with a h/r of 120, measuring 6w4d
7w3d u/s showed baby with h/r of 160, measuring 7w3d
7w5d u/s showed a possibility of TWINS! Baby A (the original) measured 8w, h/r 167...Baby B, hiding in the upper uterus measured 6w6d, h/r 176...time will tell if Baby B will make it
8w4d u/s showed Baby A doing well measuring 8w4d and h/r of 185....Baby B measured 7w3d and no h/r detected My 5 angels better help me out through the rest of all this
9w5d u/s showed Baby A measring 9w5d, h/r 188
10w5d u/s showed Baby A measuring good, h/r 175
11w3d u/s shoed Baby A measuring 11w4d, h/r 169
12w6d u/s showed Baby A measuring 13w2d, h/r of 167
13w5d u/s showed Baby A measuring 13w6d, h/r of 156
15w5d u/s showed Baby Girl measuring about a week ahead! h/r 164
17w4d u/s showed Baby Girl with a h/r of 156, cervix measuring 5cm+
19w4d, u/s showed Baby Girl with a h/r of 151, cervix measuring 5cm
23w4d, u/s showed Baby Girl with h/r of 149, cervix measuring 5cm. Baby weighed 1lb 14oz and is in the 80th percentile...her belly in the 97th....talked a little big about GD
27w4d, u/s showed Baby Girl with h/r of 151, cervix measuring 5cm...baby weighed 3lb 4oz, 87th percentile, pass GD test!
29w4d u/s showed Baby Girl with h/r of 148, cervix 5cm
31w4d u/s showed Baby Girl with h/r of 129, cervix 5cm and weight is 5lb 5oz! BIG GIRL!!!
35+ weeks and counting!
Started contracting at 36w, had c-section at 36w2d, Welcome to the world Baby Lorelei, 6lb 11oz and perfectly healthy!!!!
TTC: Since Nov. 2006
Diagnosis: Ovarian Dysfunction & PCOS
26 Years Old
cd3 FSH 16.8
cd10 FSH 13.6
7 Unmonitored Cycles of Clomid
3 Unmonitored Cycles of Letrozole
Positive CCCT
TAB for cysts
1st Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed BDing - 5 mature follies - BFN
TAB for cysts
2nd Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 4 mature follies in play - BFN
3rd Cycle of 150 iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 2 follies - BFN
1st Cycle of Gonal F - 1 follie & cyst on right - BFN
TAB for a cycle
2nd Cycle of Gonal F = BFP!!!!!
11dpo Beta=27.9
14dpo Beta=120
16dpo Beta=210
18dpo Beta=429
21dpo Beta=1064
5w6d - baby measuring 3mm, h/b 101
6w6d - baby measuring 6mm, h/b 126
7w6d - baby 18mm, h/b 171, measuring ahead at 8w2d! RE noticed enlarged yolk sac so keeping a close eye on that
8w6d - baby 2.52cm with h/b of 174
9w5d - baby 3.22cm with h/b of 180 measuring 10w1d
10w6d - baby 4.34cmcm with h/b of 174 measuring 11w1d
12w u/s showed baby at 11.2cm with h/b of 162 - unfortunately, that evening I suffered a horrible m/c of a chromosomally NORMAL girl.... RIP my angel girl...you were loved....

First cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse since m/c - BFN
2nd Cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse - BFN
TAB for a month on bcp's
3rd Cycle of Gonal F - BFP
-11dpo beta=14.9
-14dpo beta=45.7
-16dpo beta=140
-18dpo beta=366
u/s at 6w1d showed heart-rate of 114!!!!
u/s at 7w1d showed heart-rate of 141!!!!
u/s at 8w showed heart-rate of 179
u/s at 9w showed 2 SCH's, h/r of 197
u/s at 10w showed h/r of 175
u/s at 11w showed h/r of 180
u/s at 12 w showed h/r of 188
12w2d...m/c'd baby at home, lost too much blood, had to have emergency D&C...severely anemic....baby was a chromosomally normal boy
-developed a blood clot in leg 1 1/2 wks post D&C...saw a hematologist and had testing done and everything came back normal, will still treat me with Lovenex on next pregnancy

Erin
Erin

July 26th, 2012, 5:16 pm #10

I would stay away from practices with only 1 or 2 doctors, my practice has like 7 or 8. Of course then you often end up with doctors that you don't know anyway so it is a hazard that is hard to avoid. I have met most of the doctors in my practice and like most of them. I also agree with the post above that sometimes the warm and fuzzy doctors are not as technically good as the other ones. Also, at delivery time the nurse does all the real work, my doc just showed up right before the baby came out. I think the most important thing is to be at a good hospital (with a NICU), usually good doctors and nurses are associated with good hospitals.

Sorry about that comment about m/c, that is kind of shocking. Good luck on finding a good practice!

jkl
And then there are 4 more doctors in this other practice. That's 4 doctors that you will never see or meet until delivery. The thing about just choosing a hospital is that c-section rates vary widely by practice even w/in a hospital, as most practices have a sort of philosophy they broadly follow (of course keeping in mind individual situations, etc). Because of both my health history (many abdominal surgeries) and my personal philosophy, I want a natural childbirth if at all possible. If it's not possible/safe and I have to have a c-section, that's fine, but I think different doctors have very different thresholds for steering you towards or away from a c-section sooner rather than later. In MA, we have lots of good hospitals, so that's not really too much of a concern here fortunately.

Thanks so much- I'm still a little overwhelmed but hopefully I'll land somewhere better!