Nursing bra or tank recommendations

Nursing bra or tank recommendations

JulesM
JulesM

November 16th, 2011, 7:37 pm #1

I want to have a few of these for the hospital and just don't know where to begin. I know a lot of people say to wait until your milk comes in before buying because you won't know your size, but I know I am going to want to have a few before then. I am leaning towards tanks with shelf bras but figured I would check with you girls to see what you liked. TIA!

Alli
Alli

November 16th, 2011, 7:43 pm #2

But if you plan to pump, get one of those bras that holds the attachments in!

mel
mel

November 16th, 2011, 7:51 pm #3

I want to have a few of these for the hospital and just don't know where to begin. I know a lot of people say to wait until your milk comes in before buying because you won't know your size, but I know I am going to want to have a few before then. I am leaning towards tanks with shelf bras but figured I would check with you girls to see what you liked. TIA!
Before my DD was born, I did buy 2 nursing bras to have on hand, and I think I may have gotten them a cup size bigger??? I can't remember exactly what brand they were, but comfort is key. Also, I did buy nursing tanks after she was born and was a favorite purchase of mine, so I definitely recommend it.There is a great store, only in Southern California, but you can order online: www.pumpstation.com
It is a store that beyond good shopping, also has a ton of resources for everything breastfeeding related.
Good luck!

Kristen
Kristen

November 16th, 2011, 8:17 pm #4

I like the Motherhood cross over bras. They are just pullovers, no underwire and have a criss cross front. They don't provide enough support for everyday, but are very comfy and perfect for those first weeks home (when you are constantly nursing). I think they provide more support than the Medela. They're about $15 - 20.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

November 16th, 2011, 8:27 pm #5

I bought all my nursing bras at Destination Maternity and I've been fine with them. I had a store credit for Babies R Us and used part of it to purchase a Medela sleeping nursing bra and I like that one too.

I was just at Target last week and bought a nursing sleep tank for around $20-25.

What I also use for daytime at home and nightime are shelf bras.

Btw, don't forget to get the breast pads! My pick is the Nuk Disposable Pads but there are several brands out there. There are also the washable ones too.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

November 16th, 2011, 8:30 pm #6

But if you plan to pump, get one of those bras that holds the attachments in!
to do with the nursing bras which holds the pump flanges in place. It worked for me and I returned the Medela one. One of the moms in the new mom group I go to also suggested cutting out holes in an old sports bra and using that as an option.

Hadas
Hadas

November 16th, 2011, 8:45 pm #7

I found the cotton nursing tank tops from Target super comfortable and inexpensive. They also have bras, but since I was home a lot in the beginning, I just went with the tanks most of the time.

JulesM
JulesM

November 16th, 2011, 10:15 pm #8

I appreciate all your recommendations. This stuff gets me me so confused.

sch1star
sch1star

November 16th, 2011, 10:19 pm #9

Most of what I read said to plan on 1 cup and 1 band size increase with milk in, but since that's still a rule of thumb, for the hospital I decided to go just with sleep bras and tanks since they are S/M/L.

NB, there are different types of nursing bras! I found the partial drop cup kind (that has a second layer for your nipple area to pop out) drove me crazy. The second layer is meant for support I think, which I may just not really need as I've barely edged into a C so far. It was definitely worth trying a few on, the last thing you need is to be uncomfortable!

I noticed the last time I was at Target that they are carrying an Ingrid and Isabel-designed line. My I and I things are some of the most comfy I own.

Fwiw too, I did a BF class, and the instructor said that for a little while, most women find it much easier not to try and manage the special clothing since nursing is challenging enough on its own. So if you don't feel your wardrobe is complete yet, that may be perfectly fine for you!

Maru
Maru

November 17th, 2011, 3:08 am #10

I got a pair of this type which I used for the nights because you just move it down, no need to latch unlatch anything and they are very comfy to sleep in
http://www.lactationconnection.com/detail.aspx?ID=345

not the same brand but the same style.

i got a pair in size M which was easier than having to choose a cup size and then once i was breastfeeding and i knew my size i bought the ones for the day.

but for the first couple of weeks since i didnt leave the house much i would just use these