NT results

NT results

JulesM
JulesM

June 28th, 2011, 6:29 pm #1

I was planning on skipping the screening and going right to a CVS but since everything has been looking really good so far we decided to do the NT scan... if results were good we would do the blood wok and then possible amnio given our risks. If the NT scan did not look good we would do the CVS that day. Well... NT scan today was 1.9mm and I am measuring 12.2wks, CRL is 56.6. I am within their normal range of 0-2.4mm. I am very relieved! At first I was a bit worried because I read that at 11wks NT should be less than 2, I am 11w3d but since I am measuring almost a week ahead I feel good about my results. We decided to have the blood work and I will have those results on Friday. I am still leaning towards having an amnio since DH and I really want to know yes or no... but if my results look great I may change my mind. I just feel like I cannot grasp the fact that I will have a perfectly healthy baby... is that normal??

They did not mention anything about a nasal bone.. but I clearly see a nose... are the 2 related?? Also the little guy was VERY active! It was jumping and kicking about. At one point it seemed to put it's entire palm up against the US and we saw a distinct hand, all five little fingers.

Oh, also the HR was 141, it was 182 2 weeks ago... that's normal to drop like that, right??

June 28th, 2011, 6:34 pm #2

Jules,

We also did the NT scan first before deciding whether to do a CVS or Amnio.

My results were good, I think 1.2 mm and the probabilities they gave me were 1 in 1,360 for Down Syndrome.

But my blood results the PAPP-A was 0.92 and they want to see it over 1, with Sebastian it was 2.6 so that has me a bit worried.

We're not sure whether we should do the Amnio or not yet, I want to wait to talk to my Dr. at my 15 weeks appointment, and maybe see how the second blood tests come back before making a decision.

Somehow I'm really afraid of having come this far and then having an Amnio and having a mc

Hope the blood results come back great and that you don't have to worry about a thing!

-MARU

08/01/2007 TTC#1
09/26/2007 BFP
12/08/2007 m/c at 10 1/2 weeks (D&C)
1/18/2008 TTC#1 again
2/20/2008 BFP
10/22/2008 DS #1 - Sebastian is born
11/2009 TTC#2
04/2010 Referred to RE
05/2010 Fermara cycle #1
06/2010 BFP - chemical pregnancy
06/2010 CD3 - FSH 20.7 (First time I've heard of FSH)
06/2010 Fermara cycle #2
07/06/2010 AMH results in 0.10
07/12/2010 BFP - Chemical Pregnancy #2
02/13/2011 TTC with Dr. Milki in CA.
03/11/2011 BFN
03/12/2011 Decided to not cycle or TTC anymore.
04/26/2011 Missed my period by 4 days, tested and got a BFP
05/15/2011 6w4d - Saw baby and heartbeat
05/23/2011 7w5d - Baby is doing great
06/28/2011 13w1d - Baby is growing like weed, almost out of the first trimester!

JulesM
JulesM

June 28th, 2011, 6:45 pm #3

I know how you feel. In a way, that is why I wanted to skip the screenings because they put so much unnecessary worry into us. I thought the CVS would bypass the "possibility" fear but when I saw that the risk my clinic gave me for m/c was 1:100 with CVS and 1:400 with amnio I just felt waiting a few more weeks for the amnio was the right choice. I haven't done any research yet on normal blood levels but I can understand your fears. Good luck with you decision and keep me posted if you are comfortable doing so.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 28th, 2011, 6:58 pm #4

I was planning on skipping the screening and going right to a CVS but since everything has been looking really good so far we decided to do the NT scan... if results were good we would do the blood wok and then possible amnio given our risks. If the NT scan did not look good we would do the CVS that day. Well... NT scan today was 1.9mm and I am measuring 12.2wks, CRL is 56.6. I am within their normal range of 0-2.4mm. I am very relieved! At first I was a bit worried because I read that at 11wks NT should be less than 2, I am 11w3d but since I am measuring almost a week ahead I feel good about my results. We decided to have the blood work and I will have those results on Friday. I am still leaning towards having an amnio since DH and I really want to know yes or no... but if my results look great I may change my mind. I just feel like I cannot grasp the fact that I will have a perfectly healthy baby... is that normal??

They did not mention anything about a nasal bone.. but I clearly see a nose... are the 2 related?? Also the little guy was VERY active! It was jumping and kicking about. At one point it seemed to put it's entire palm up against the US and we saw a distinct hand, all five little fingers.

Oh, also the HR was 141, it was 182 2 weeks ago... that's normal to drop like that, right??
everyone is different Jules but for me, I just couldn't bring myself to do a CVS or amnio. I'd met with the genetic counselor beforehand and that helped to wrap my head around things a bit. Once I did the NT scan (did mine at 12 weeks) I felt really good. As for the nasal bone. Seeing the nose profile is not the same as seeing the nasal bone. The nasal bone is seen as these little white markings within that little nose tip profile you see.

Although they didn't mention to you about the nasal bone they very well may have still looked for this; check the u/s report that goes to the OB, if they saw one it will be stated there.

Don't worry about the h/b! For one, it fluctuates and two, the overall h/b range startes "stabilizing" from the high ranges you saw through midway through the first tri.

You may not be able to grasp you have a normal baby cooking in there but you have to start getting used to that idea.

Btw, has anyone told you that your risks are calculated based on your age at delivery, not your age at conception? That's important to know...even though I conceived 2 months after my 39th, I am due to deliver 1 month before my 40th. So my risks were pushed off to that higher group. You can't catch a break!

JulesM
JulesM

June 28th, 2011, 7:07 pm #5

I have a copy of the report and no mention of a nasal bone. The US girl and then the doctor kept saying everything looks perfect so I just have to for once believe them. I just found out today that they look at age at birth rather than conception... I'll have just turned 39 at my due date... figures!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 28th, 2011, 7:24 pm #6

really. Just ask your OB about it next time if you want to feel better. I know I was a freak about seeing it. But while we did see something we didn't get a 100% clear view so I guess to some extent you could say it was "inconclusive". But I didn't care. I looked at things in totality and everything as a whole pointed to good things.

P.S. - I know I'm totally full of "it" to tell you "don't worry". Just look at the attached post. But I really do hope you won't. Or at least cut back some on the worrying.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/264844/m ... od+%28-%29

June 28th, 2011, 8:01 pm #7

Hi Jules, First congratulations on your progress and recent NT results.
I pop over from the PG DE board, as there is always very helpful info on this site.
I seem to be 3 weeks behind you and have followed some of your progress. I noticed your earlier convo with Lindy regarding CVS and Amnio- so thanks!
Well, that's all- just wanted to introduce myself and will keep my eye out for your progress.
Best- karma

sch1star
sch1star

June 28th, 2011, 8:14 pm #8

What a great sign on the nuchal measurement - I know I was so relieved! Where did you have the scan done? I ask b/c from karma's post it seems you might be in Boston - I had mine done by a BWH peri, and they told me they no longer take a nasal bone into account in the eval. Like Mrs A said, it's probably still noted in the report, but they told me it's just too variable especially by ethnicity, and caused a lot of unnecessary worry in cases where it was not present. So if you call or review your report and there is one, good for you but if not, don't panic.

We too struggled with whether to do any further screening. My hormone profile was slightly off as well, though still in normal range. Ultimately we decided that for us the risks outweighed the benefits. However, it's very personal. If you feel that the worry of not knowing for certain will affect your pregnancy, an amnio may be the right thing for you. In any case I think it's smart of you to consider amnio vs. CVS and to wait and talk with your OB. Do you have your revised risk ratios? That may help too.

Meantime I hope you can feel good about the reassuring info you have so far!

sch1star
sch1star

June 28th, 2011, 8:16 pm #9

Sorry - just reread and saw it was only today, of course you don't have revised ratios yet!

Also, I had a heart rate drop of the same type at the same time. Totally normal.

JulesM
JulesM

June 28th, 2011, 9:06 pm #10

Hi Jules, First congratulations on your progress and recent NT results.
I pop over from the PG DE board, as there is always very helpful info on this site.
I seem to be 3 weeks behind you and have followed some of your progress. I noticed your earlier convo with Lindy regarding CVS and Amnio- so thanks!
Well, that's all- just wanted to introduce myself and will keep my eye out for your progress.
Best- karma
I'll be monitoring your progress on DE board and here whenever you post! It's great to watch others progress through this stressful time. Are you also at BWH?