new to forum - 36 yo, FSH 58, less than 5% pregnancy chance

new to forum - 36 yo, FSH 58, less than 5% pregnancy chance

January 26th, 2011, 7:11 pm #1

Haven't had my period in five months, so went to see a RE yesterday thinking amenorrhea was due to exercise (training for marathons). Shocking diagnosis that I may be in premature menopause as my FSH is at 58. Shocking because I turned 36 only four days ago. Was told I have a less than 5% chance of conceiving a baby on my own and if I wanted to get pregnant again (have a 2yo girl) I would have to resort to a donor egg. Completely devastated and not sure how to handle this new information. I can't accept the diagnosis of menopause at 36 and was prescribed birth control pills to get hormones and menstruation back, but given little hope for another natural pregnancy. Would welcome any thoughts, comments or insight.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 26th, 2011, 7:28 pm #2

If you have not had your period in 5 months, how did your fsh get tested? it sounds like your RE has jumped to too many conclusions without having nearly enough information. also if you have a two year old daughter you would be very unlikely to go into menopause soon after, usually there is a window of 10 years where a woman still gets her period but is not longer actually fertile. there is a thing called premature ovarian failure, which strikes women suddenly and is quite rare. even then, women have been known to get pg. afterwards.

so sorry you are going through this, but this diagnosis seems to have a lot of potential flaws. how much do you train? there are many causes for not having a period for 5 months other than premature ovarian failure.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 26th, 2011, 7:30 pm #3

the fsh levels count on days 2-3 of your period. an fsh of 58 on those days is very high (though some women have gotten pg. with numbers like that and even higher) - but if it wasn't even tested on these days then I don't know what it means at all.

January 26th, 2011, 7:58 pm #4

If you have not had your period in 5 months, how did your fsh get tested? it sounds like your RE has jumped to too many conclusions without having nearly enough information. also if you have a two year old daughter you would be very unlikely to go into menopause soon after, usually there is a window of 10 years where a woman still gets her period but is not longer actually fertile. there is a thing called premature ovarian failure, which strikes women suddenly and is quite rare. even then, women have been known to get pg. afterwards.

so sorry you are going through this, but this diagnosis seems to have a lot of potential flaws. how much do you train? there are many causes for not having a period for 5 months other than premature ovarian failure.
thanks for your response. blood test was done to test hormone levels and that was the FSH reading...not sure how accurate these readings are when period is absent, since as you said it is normally done day 2-3 of cycle.
I train 3-4 days a week, averaging 20-40 miles a week. Originally, RE thought it was due to exercise, until he saw my FSH levels and then was convinced exercise played no role in this. Did an ultrasound and said thin lining of the uterus and small ovaries was consistent with menopause given high FSH levels.
Not prepared to give up hope yet. A little nervous to go on BC pills, but if that will help me, then I'll do it.
Thanks!

January 26th, 2011, 8:21 pm #5

Haven't had my period in five months, so went to see a RE yesterday thinking amenorrhea was due to exercise (training for marathons). Shocking diagnosis that I may be in premature menopause as my FSH is at 58. Shocking because I turned 36 only four days ago. Was told I have a less than 5% chance of conceiving a baby on my own and if I wanted to get pregnant again (have a 2yo girl) I would have to resort to a donor egg. Completely devastated and not sure how to handle this new information. I can't accept the diagnosis of menopause at 36 and was prescribed birth control pills to get hormones and menstruation back, but given little hope for another natural pregnancy. Would welcome any thoughts, comments or insight.
I'm 37 and my FSH is 20. I have a 17 mos old through IVF. Back then - my RE thought I had problems because of endomentriosis (msp?). I went back for #2 and my RE took bloodwork and he gave me 2% chance of conceiving again with my own eggs (naturally or IVF). He recommended donor eggs ALTHOUGH he admitted that my FSH was "probably" (yeah right) elevated when I had DD.

It is very upsetting to me that we have proven fertility and for some reason, our REs have written us off - especially when not so much time has passed since DD.

Anyway - I have decided to get another opinion with Dr. Check in New Jersey. If you check his website - he works with out-of-town patients.

I think - for us who have gotten pregnant before - it's harder to deal with. We can say or think things like - "Well - I got pregnant before." Or in my case - "This doctor helped us. There's no one better." After reading the posts on the boards, I realized that I had to "break up" with my RE and find another one. What we thought we knew - based on prior experiences - may not be true anymore. There might be some things you might have to try or do differently to get pregnant again....

January 26th, 2011, 9:41 pm #6

thanks for your response. blood test was done to test hormone levels and that was the FSH reading...not sure how accurate these readings are when period is absent, since as you said it is normally done day 2-3 of cycle.
I train 3-4 days a week, averaging 20-40 miles a week. Originally, RE thought it was due to exercise, until he saw my FSH levels and then was convinced exercise played no role in this. Did an ultrasound and said thin lining of the uterus and small ovaries was consistent with menopause given high FSH levels.
Not prepared to give up hope yet. A little nervous to go on BC pills, but if that will help me, then I'll do it.
Thanks!
Did you have an antral follicle count ultrasound? That may offer some more of the picture.
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 26th, 2011, 10:29 pm #7

Thanks!
hi Mel,

I am the anon who wrote about the fsh. I understand there is this method of going on BCP, but acupuncture and herbs have been known to really help people's cycles go back on track. This happened to a friend of mine.

If you look through the archives or ask around maybe other women will tell you about their personal experiences with this.

Here are some books I would like to recommend to you:

Inconceivable, by Julia Indichova (she has a website called the fertile heart, you can go there and find out more about her today), She had her first daughter when she was about 39 or 40, then had a high fsh reading and was told she'd never be able to have another. Then she got a very high fsh reading (and hers WAS on day 3), but at some point she decided to ignore what the doctors were telling her. She had her second daughter when she was 44. Her methods do not work for everyone of course and her book is painful to read for people who have no children and have been trying for years, but it sounds like a good match for you.

other books: Randine Lewis is the author, I think it's called the fertility cure

Is Your Body Baby Friendly? by Alan Beer

what your doctor may not tell you about premenopause by Dr. John Lee (don't get scared, 'premenopause can last for 15 years)

It's My Ovaries, Stupid! (forgot the author's name but she's an MD)

The Tao of Fertility

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 26th, 2011, 10:38 pm #8

randine lewis's book is called "The Infertility Cure"

Also: I don't strongly recommend the Tao of Fertility. It is not out of the box enough, but I do recommend finding and excellent practitioner of Traditional Chinese Acupuncture.

January 26th, 2011, 10:46 pm #9

Thank you so much! It looks like I'm headed to the book store.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 26th, 2011, 11:13 pm #10

As I was looking at amazon to double check the titles I found another one:

Making Babies: A Proven 3-Month Program for Maximum Fertility [Hardcover]

(as you can see I used the 'cut & paste' feature and the 'hardcover' stayed in).

A lot of them have the look inside this book feature on amazon and also some of them can be previewed on googlebooks.

this is a very, very complex field PLEASE do not rely too heavily on anything your particular RE has said! there is far, far better information from the collective wisdom of the women on this board.