new here--slowing HGC

new here--slowing HGC

May 25th, 2012, 7:06 pm #1

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and could use some advice. I'm 38, and finally pregnant after 8 IUIs (the max my insurance will cover). Everything was looking good: the first HCG was 322, and two days later it was 814. But after another 2 days it's only 1185 (a 68% rise, instead of doubling). My nurse says this may mean a miscarriage. I've just gone from jubilant to terrified, and I don't know how worried I should be.

Any advice? Is this way off of normal?

I'm on Crinone (progesterone supplement), and wanted my doctor to check my progesterone level to see whether I'm absorbing it correctly, but he says there's no need and the test is unreliable anyway b/c of the Crinone.

Any advice appreciated. . .

Best,
Katherine

May 25th, 2012, 7:13 pm #2

Oops--I meant slowing hcg

Erin
Erin

May 25th, 2012, 8:07 pm #3

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and could use some advice. I'm 38, and finally pregnant after 8 IUIs (the max my insurance will cover). Everything was looking good: the first HCG was 322, and two days later it was 814. But after another 2 days it's only 1185 (a 68% rise, instead of doubling). My nurse says this may mean a miscarriage. I've just gone from jubilant to terrified, and I don't know how worried I should be.

I'm on Crinone (progesterone supplement), and wanted my doctor to check my progesterone level to see whether I'm absorbing it correctly, but he says there's no need and the test is unreliable anyway b/c of the Crinone.

Best,
Katherine
Hi Katherine- First, congratulations! I am new to all this myself so I can't comment too much on the hcg (although my recollection is that it can be normal for the doubling time to slow somewhat after you reach 1000- hopefully folks with more experience will chime in) but as for the progesterone- I think that it's important to get that checked asap. It's true that you can't measure the full effect in the blood, but if your progesterone was say 9, I would definitely want to supplement further, vs. if it was say 30. It's your pregnancy and there's no harm in testing your progesterone (or even in adding PIO if need be) so I would push back on your RE. Just some advice from another newbie... Wishing you luck and congratulations again.

MargieD
MargieD

May 25th, 2012, 8:31 pm #4

Hi everyone,

Best,
Katherine
This was a factor for me, too...

No real advice, but hope all goes well... it can be pure h*ll waiting and wondering...

Teresa
Teresa

May 25th, 2012, 8:49 pm #5

Hi everyone,

Best,
Katherine
Congratulations on your pregnancy, and wishing you the best. I think Erin and Margie are right.

Don't lose hope and keep taking the progesterone. It's so important. Really make sure you are heard when it comes to what you want- meaning make no apologies in insisting your OB monitor your progesterone. It's too important to ignore and it's your pregnancy.

Keep us updated. Rooting for you!

mel
mel

May 25th, 2012, 9:09 pm #6

Hi everyone,

Best,
Katherine
Congrats on your pregnancy!

From what I have learned, hcg doubling time can be anywhere from 30-72 hours, so even though your last number didn't double, it still may have been within that timeframe. Also, once the number goes above 1,000, then the doubling time slows.

I know this can be so stressful and the waiting is torture, but keep taking your progesterone and see what the next beta shows.

Wishing you good luck!

May 26th, 2012, 1:06 am #7

Hi everyone,

Best,
Katherine
happy to have you here.
I don't have any useful advice for you. Sorry.

Hang in there (yeah, easy for ME to say, eh??), I've seen slow moving betas and low betas (not that yours is low, just sayin') that result in successful pgs.

hugs
jm

May 26th, 2012, 8:04 am #8

Hi everyone,

Best,
Katherine
Some helpful tools for you to take a look at:
http://www.babymed.com/tools/hcg-calculator
http://www.betabase.info/index.php
Good luck!!

Hadas
Hadas

May 27th, 2012, 1:14 am #9

Hi everyone,

Best,
Katherine
Hi,
First of all, congratulations!

When I was pregnant with my DD, I had the same thing sort of happen to me. I don't think I'll ever forget those first beta numbers!

They were: 221 (great), 639 (great), 737 (oh crap!)

I was so devastated that day, and the nurse who called me (it was a Sunday) couldn't tell me much... she just said it could work out just like it could not work out, we just had to wait an see. A few days later, we were in the 1200 range and then 2100 range and all was good.

When I finally went in for my 6 week u/s and everything looked great, I asked my RE about the betas and he said, "They're just numbers..." I don't know if he truly meant that or knew he was able to say that because things were fine after all, but my point is that numbers do weird things sometimes. That's all I learned from my experience, but I wanted to share if only to reassure you that everything could still be fine.

Best of luck,
Hadas