New babies and clothes

New babies and clothes

October 22nd, 2011, 6:55 pm #1

Okay, so I have told my mom not to go crazy buying stuff for little bean until we see what I get for my shower. It is not till early December. But there are some sales on line and I am like, well maybe I should get a few things - just a couple of sets. Because what if I don't receive anything at the shower and do I want to wait till the last minute till I am just about to give birth and bean has no outfits for the hearty winter?? I think I am just being silly. I mean there are always sales...

bigboy
bigboy

October 22nd, 2011, 7:25 pm #2

you will probably get a TON of stuff. people give you clothes in addition to other stuff...sometimes they dont buy stuff off your registery bc they want to buy clothes! there probably isnt a need but let your mom have some fun : ) and if you want to buy stuff too go ahead...before or after, it really dosnt matter bc baby clothes are so cheap!
i cant remember everything before my son but im pretty sure i didnt buy anything (myself) until after he was here. i bought two halo sleep sacks...those werent on my register and arent typically "fun" for people to buy anyways but they were lifesavers for sure.

bigboy
bigboy

October 22nd, 2011, 7:26 pm #3

ps - i feel stupid for telling you earlier to change your name. obviously i just thought you were a different person each time based on "newbie". now i know that everyone knows you as "newbie" and you are the same poster!! : ) sorry!!!

October 22nd, 2011, 7:27 pm #4

Okay, so I have told my mom not to go crazy buying stuff for little bean until we see what I get for my shower. It is not till early December. But there are some sales on line and I am like, well maybe I should get a few things - just a couple of sets. Because what if I don't receive anything at the shower and do I want to wait till the last minute till I am just about to give birth and bean has no outfits for the hearty winter?? I think I am just being silly. I mean there are always sales...
it's really fun to buy stuff yourself for your bean

especially when it's on sale. I used to buy for the following year is things were cute or special. I have kept a lot of these clothing, they often symbolized that age/stage and brings me back if I happen to see one. I have friends who make quilts with their treasured baby clothings or receiving blankets, I may do that one day but I am having trouble with the thought of cutting them up.

My one piece of advice is be sure to buy for 6mos and 12mos too. and heck, you can always wait because you'll "need" an excuse to go out with your wee bean and going to the mall is one way to distract you and your bean. And if this mall happens to have a lot of seniors, it's almost like a civic duty to show off your bean to them.

Another piece of advice: not knowing how long or big your little will be, try to choose foot-less pjs if they exist. I think it's tricky to find those for NB size but my little guy was rather long and I had to either ditch the outfit or cut the toes off to have him in it longer than a week. That's when I went for two pieces. Besides, once the drooling starts, you'll be changing the shirt often unless you remembered to put a bib on.

My babies (I had two) tend to be big, my #1 weighed 9lb 5oz at 41wks gest and my #2 weighed 8lb 13oz at 30wks gest. I never thought to ask my mother how much her babies weighed because she had two sets of twins BUT I had forgotten that my middle brother was a singleton (my IQ plummeted when I was pg LOL) and he was 9lbs so I should have been prepared for big. I was 5lbs, my twin was 7lbs.
(how did I turn this into me-me-me?? lol)

I remember feeling distressed when my DS was a NB because his clothing was too loose, even at NB size. Then a week passed and boom, he fit in all of them. Then another week passed and boom, he was out of them. But I still remember feeling sad that nothing fit him just right. --I was a rather emotional new mom, for a solid 3mos.

so, yeah, go nuts, have fun and as long as you don't regret spending it'll be fine. I am sure there are guide lines for how many of each item. But this would depend on if baby spits up a lot, has large poops that get out the diaper (up the back is especially "fun"). Some weeks/moths saw more laundry that others.

remind me when your baby will be born?

oh and you know that you can keep the receipts and return the stuff if by some chance you get it at your shower. I doubt it but you never know. Plus many people give gift receipts now.

jm

October 22nd, 2011, 8:27 pm #5

a lot of clothing. It is just to darn cute. I bought from NB to 12 mo...and told DH that I did not want to be a slave to the washer. I find two online sites pretty good, but naturally hit or miss day to day, they are zulily and mini social. I've found mini social to have some nice brands I have not heard of and then also scour their sites for sales. I think I have to stop now...as I have not had a shower yet and don't want to over stuff the closet!
Have fun! I am in the swing of the nursery now...my glider is coming in on Tuesday and the crib is in the room. Lots of fun!

sch1star
sch1star

October 23rd, 2011, 2:56 am #6

I think you have the right idea to not totally stock up, but by all means don't pass on something adorable/on sale etc. You will get tons of lovely stuff as gifts but it's hard to tell exactly what. I got a million socks and blankets, and lots of outerwear and photo op outfits, but I still needed basics like onesies.

One piece of advice I've tried to heed is not to get too much of any one thing till baby is born - he may be big and skip the nb size, or he may hate swaddling, etc.

Don't forget to buy lots of hangers, and those size dividers you can hang in the closet! Have fun!

October 23rd, 2011, 3:07 am #7

If you see something you love, buy it

One thing I've found at showers is that sometimes people get you some clothing that may not be your taste. (Not being ungrateful here, but the stuff I didn't really like didn't get worn...). You'll always need clothes, so have fun!

Hugs,
Meg

October 23rd, 2011, 12:58 pm #8

ps - i feel stupid for telling you earlier to change your name. obviously i just thought you were a different person each time based on "newbie". now i know that everyone knows you as "newbie" and you are the same poster!! : ) sorry!!!
No worries!

October 23rd, 2011, 1:02 pm #9

I guess the one good thing that has to keep me in check is since I am a new englander, I need fleece in the winter and tank tops shortly there after. I am due in early February. I think I will definitely be someone who buys a year out. I just need to see if the bean is a little portly/average/small.

bigboy
bigboy

October 23rd, 2011, 1:38 pm #10

sometimes they are small at first but they chunk up pretty fast! ; )