my head is going to fall off my shoulders - Cooper just called with today's P4

my head is going to fall off my shoulders - Cooper just called with today's P4

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 27th, 2011, 7:40 pm #1

Two weeks ago my P4 came back at 20 something after stopping the last of P4 support. Cooper re-started me on 200 mg of Prometrium per day for a week. Upon retest it went back up to 57.6. Cooper then said stop and re-test in a week. That re-test was today. P4 went back down to 21.

Dr. Check's recommendation is remaining on 200 mg of Prometrium through 36 weeks. No more retesting - just stay on the P4 until then.

I asked if this was just a Cooper thing or was Dr. Check specifically requesting this for me. She said it was a combo of both. Cooper thing based on experience with ladies and losses and pre-term labor and specific to me based on my history of 2 losses (although early losses), i.e. Dr. Check specifically was consulted on re: today's results and recommendation.

I told her the controversy with my OB and she recommended that I set up a callback with Dr. Check. She did also reassure me that there are no risks with continuing the support.

DH is on board with me staying on the meds. I just don't see how I could not continue. I would die and I would kill if I allowed myself to be convinced to do otherwise and something terrible happened.

The downside in all of this is that Dr Check is jam-packed until May 10. And that is the day that I see my OB again (level 2 u/s is on May 5 and done with peri). But since the callback won't happen until the evening I won't have the benefit of CHeck's call for my OB visit. Unless I change my OB visit. Maybe I'll do that.

Grad
Grad

April 27th, 2011, 8:00 pm #2

Hi Mrs. A! Not sure what your controversy is with your OB, I just drift through this site from time to time. But after a failed IVF with Check (one of many failures overall) I demanded the highest freakin' dosage of P4 Check would prescribe. It turned out to be 2 200mg tabs, three suppositories and an injection every day. My bloodwork showed P4 above 65 at times. I don't have a history of MC and he did not prescribe P4 as long as he prescribed yours, I think I finished up around 20 weeks.

I don't believe P4 has any impact short- or long-term on your health, as Check has said. One of my high-risk OB's said that being on P4 at all after eight weeks when the placenta takes over and certainly the amount I was on was "plain stupid," but I ignored him. If your OB isn't checking bloods, he wouldn't know if you continued to take the P4.

In the end, my placenta crapped out on me and I had to deliver a few weeks early as my amniotic fluid got too low. Did the P4 help keep it going as long as possible? Perhaps.

You'll be fine no matter what. Cheers!

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

April 27th, 2011, 8:17 pm #3

Two weeks ago my P4 came back at 20 something after stopping the last of P4 support. Cooper re-started me on 200 mg of Prometrium per day for a week. Upon retest it went back up to 57.6. Cooper then said stop and re-test in a week. That re-test was today. P4 went back down to 21.

Dr. Check's recommendation is remaining on 200 mg of Prometrium through 36 weeks. No more retesting - just stay on the P4 until then.

I asked if this was just a Cooper thing or was Dr. Check specifically requesting this for me. She said it was a combo of both. Cooper thing based on experience with ladies and losses and pre-term labor and specific to me based on my history of 2 losses (although early losses), i.e. Dr. Check specifically was consulted on re: today's results and recommendation.

I told her the controversy with my OB and she recommended that I set up a callback with Dr. Check. She did also reassure me that there are no risks with continuing the support.

DH is on board with me staying on the meds. I just don't see how I could not continue. I would die and I would kill if I allowed myself to be convinced to do otherwise and something terrible happened.

The downside in all of this is that Dr Check is jam-packed until May 10. And that is the day that I see my OB again (level 2 u/s is on May 5 and done with peri). But since the callback won't happen until the evening I won't have the benefit of CHeck's call for my OB visit. Unless I change my OB visit. Maybe I'll do that.
I just wanted to say that I would probably do the same as you if in your shoes. Its too bad that the Check consults can't be sooner, but in any case, I hope he puts your mind to ease about how to proceed. I hope all continues to go well with you and your LO.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 27th, 2011, 8:22 pm #4

Hi Mrs. A! Not sure what your controversy is with your OB, I just drift through this site from time to time. But after a failed IVF with Check (one of many failures overall) I demanded the highest freakin' dosage of P4 Check would prescribe. It turned out to be 2 200mg tabs, three suppositories and an injection every day. My bloodwork showed P4 above 65 at times. I don't have a history of MC and he did not prescribe P4 as long as he prescribed yours, I think I finished up around 20 weeks.

I don't believe P4 has any impact short- or long-term on your health, as Check has said. One of my high-risk OB's said that being on P4 at all after eight weeks when the placenta takes over and certainly the amount I was on was "plain stupid," but I ignored him. If your OB isn't checking bloods, he wouldn't know if you continued to take the P4.

In the end, my placenta crapped out on me and I had to deliver a few weeks early as my amniotic fluid got too low. Did the P4 help keep it going as long as possible? Perhaps.

You'll be fine no matter what. Cheers!
is not even worth repeating, it's so stupid. Suffice it to say that like most OBs, and even the high risk one you mention, he feels that taking P4 this late in the game (19 weeks this coming Thursday) is unnecessary. And no - he doesn't check P4. He's never checked except once and that was weeks and weeks ago and whatever the results, they were irrelevant from the perspective that I was souped up on tons of Cooper-prescribed P4 at the time.

He asked me just yesterday about whether I was on the Prometrium still and I said no that Cooper had me on a 1 week hiatus based on last week's results. I left it at that. If he asks me again at the next visit I will just have to point blank tell him "if I followed your orders and stopped the P4 and my baby died, your wife will have to come visit you at the morgue. Do you think she's up for that?" Harsh but enough already.

The nurse told me that if my P4 had come back in the 30s they could have lived with that. But 21 is just too low for them.

Thanks for responding!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 27th, 2011, 8:28 pm #5

I just wanted to say that I would probably do the same as you if in your shoes. Its too bad that the Check consults can't be sooner, but in any case, I hope he puts your mind to ease about how to proceed. I hope all continues to go well with you and your LO.
it's bad enough when you're dealing with REs with opposing views/philosophies. But now to still be dealing with this once you're actually PG is even more frustrating. But I have to have faith that Cooper is doing right by me. I know that my OB doesn't mean to intentionally harm me, but I also can't allow myself to be his experiment either. Not when the risk is so high.

What is going on with you?? How are you doing these days?? Are you preparing for a FET??

There's another Dee on this board and everyone once in a while when the name pops up I thik it's you! I hope to see the DeeinNYC here very soon!

Shipin
Shipin

April 27th, 2011, 8:47 pm #6

Asking ur OB to talk to dr check directly ? Given that ur OB will be taking care of u for the rest of the pg it would be good if he can be kept in loop for p4. May be a direct discussion between them would convince ur ob for the need of p4support. I know dr check will be open for this discussion.

Bethpky
Bethpky

April 27th, 2011, 11:33 pm #7

stay on the progesterone and not discuss the matter with my OB. But that's me.

Dr. Check hasn't steered you wrong. If he wants you to stay on the P4, do it.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 27th, 2011, 11:45 pm #8

and I feel even more strongly about following the recommendation after confirming that Dr. Check himself has made this recommendation after personally reviewing my file. (Subsequent to my post above I had another conversation with Cooper which further re-confirmed this.)

I don't think they're playing games with me here. (not that anyone here is suggesting that!). But I say that because they were confident in my E2 levels and monitored my levels through the crossover to placenta and everything looked great there in their eyes. I was never placed on any estrogen support like some ladies receive. It's just been this P4 that's been the pesky one.

I'm staying on the support! Case closed lawyer!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

April 27th, 2011, 11:49 pm #9

Asking ur OB to talk to dr check directly ? Given that ur OB will be taking care of u for the rest of the pg it would be good if he can be kept in loop for p4. May be a direct discussion between them would convince ur ob for the need of p4support. I know dr check will be open for this discussion.
"I'm going to call down there." But to my knowledge never has. If he feels that strongly about it I think he should be calling down there. He's "threatened" to "call down there" since my very first visit with him at 5W6D. Cooper already has him on file as my OB so he can call down there whenever he wants without needing further permission from me.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

April 28th, 2011, 12:49 am #10

it's bad enough when you're dealing with REs with opposing views/philosophies. But now to still be dealing with this once you're actually PG is even more frustrating. But I have to have faith that Cooper is doing right by me. I know that my OB doesn't mean to intentionally harm me, but I also can't allow myself to be his experiment either. Not when the risk is so high.

What is going on with you?? How are you doing these days?? Are you preparing for a FET??

There's another Dee on this board and everyone once in a while when the name pops up I thik it's you! I hope to see the DeeinNYC here very soon!
Hi,

You are so sweet to think of me!! Maybe the other Dee will bring me luck and back on this board AFM, my beta numbers went down to below 2 so I am now just waiting for my first AF. I am to begin a natural FET as soon as AF comes...seems very simple...I don't even go in until CD 9!! No shots, drugs, etc except Folgard and prenatals before transfer (possible HCG trigger)...so...I'm looking forward to an easy cycle. Honestly however, I don't feel all that confident in the embies I am transfering...one (5) cell and two (10) cells, but hey...you never know.

Anyway...I am a believer in going with your first mind so to speak so I think you are doing the right thing by continuing the P4. I'm sure everything will work out just fine.