More on plugged ducts.......

More on plugged ducts.......

May 3rd, 2012, 9:34 pm #1

I am really having a hard time with these.
I am pumping every 5 1/2 hrs for 15 mins on the lowest setting of my pump. This is down from every 4-5 hours for 30 mins on the highest setting. I gradually decreased over 2 weeks to the 15 mins.
Now I am having to soak in a hot bath and 'pop' these awful ducts both in the morning and evening. I also apply heat as I pump, take lecithin capsules 2x a day and ordered the sage tea online. Having to work out the plugged ducts is really making me nauseous as I seem to have one or two each pumping session....I don't think this is normal??
I contacted a LC I worked with earlier and she is getting me info on someone who can drain lymphs?? I am going to look into it, as it is getting really bad.

Any other suggestions? I know I just recently posted about this, but any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance- karma

Sara H
Sara H

May 3rd, 2012, 11:23 pm #2

I know this sounds insane but I actually had a infected milk duct gland when I was 15! Very very rare in a non-lactating women but there I was! HURT LIKE CRAZY! I was sick for three weeks.(Since it had no way to drain.)

I really think you need to see a dr. for some meds at this point. I am really anti anti-biotics but if this is not getting better this might be the time.

Good luck and feel better, OK?
Hugs,
Sara H

MargieD
MargieD

May 4th, 2012, 12:44 am #3

I am pumping every 5 1/2 hrs for 15 mins on the lowest setting of my pump. This is down from every 4-5 hours for 30 mins on the highest setting. I gradually decreased over 2 weeks to the 15 mins.
Now I am having to soak in a hot bath and 'pop' these awful ducts both in the morning and evening. I also apply heat as I pump, take lecithin capsules 2x a day and ordered the sage tea online. Having to work out the plugged ducts is really making me nauseous as I seem to have one or two each pumping session....I don't think this is normal??
I contacted a LC I worked with earlier and she is getting me info on someone who can drain lymphs?? I am going to look into it, as it is getting really bad.

Any other suggestions? I know I just recently posted about this, but any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance- karma
Going from 30 minutes on the highest setting to 15 minutes on the lowest setting in two weeks is rather quick.

When I was pumping - I was pumping 20 minutes every 3-4 hours, except at night time. It took me almost two months to completely wean.

I never changed the settings on my machine when weaning.

Maybe try 15 minutes on the highest setting?

I mean - no offense... but no wonder you are having plugged milk ducts...

(P.S. Trust me - I know what a PAIN it is to pump all the time and I know how much you want to be done with it!! )

Laura
Laura

May 4th, 2012, 1:28 am #4

Thanks in advance- karma
Now, is your LO basically done with BFing? If so, then it might be time to look into OTC antihistamines that help dry your milk up. I weaned at 13 months bc of my allergies and I needed my meds. DS took a bottle fine so I basically weaned him in one day. I also started BCP and my milk was gone in 1 week.

May 4th, 2012, 2:30 am #5

I know this sounds insane but I actually had a infected milk duct gland when I was 15! Very very rare in a non-lactating women but there I was! HURT LIKE CRAZY! I was sick for three weeks.(Since it had no way to drain.)

I really think you need to see a dr. for some meds at this point. I am really anti anti-biotics but if this is not getting better this might be the time.

Good luck and feel better, OK?
Hugs,
Sara H
That does sound unusual, how difficult.
I will contact the dr tomorrow...it is painful ; (
I hope you are doing well!

May 4th, 2012, 2:33 am #6

Going from 30 minutes on the highest setting to 15 minutes on the lowest setting in two weeks is rather quick.

When I was pumping - I was pumping 20 minutes every 3-4 hours, except at night time. It took me almost two months to completely wean.

I never changed the settings on my machine when weaning.

Maybe try 15 minutes on the highest setting?

I mean - no offense... but no wonder you are having plugged milk ducts...

(P.S. Trust me - I know what a PAIN it is to pump all the time and I know how much you want to be done with it!! )
I thought I was actually taking it slow, as I hear some folks wean in one week, or even days.
I was initially told to cut back from 30 mins to 10 mins and thought it sounded a little drastic, so I took it in 5 min increments.
I am going to call and head to the dr tomorrow...and hopefully have a better plan.
Thx for your input!

May 4th, 2012, 7:44 am #7

Now, is your LO basically done with BFing? If so, then it might be time to look into OTC antihistamines that help dry your milk up. I weaned at 13 months bc of my allergies and I needed my meds. DS took a bottle fine so I basically weaned him in one day. I also started BCP and my milk was gone in 1 week.
Yes- my LO is done BFing, so this sounds like something I may ask about with my OB.
Good to know it worked in one week!

MargieD
MargieD

May 4th, 2012, 9:30 am #8

I thought I was actually taking it slow, as I hear some folks wean in one week, or even days.
I was initially told to cut back from 30 mins to 10 mins and thought it sounded a little drastic, so I took it in 5 min increments.
I am going to call and head to the dr tomorrow...and hopefully have a better plan.
Thx for your input!
I could be totally wrong - but if you make a lot of milk - it might be longer to wean. In my case - I was pumping enough to feed DD AND to freeze a couple of bags a day. It would have been hard to for me to wean that quickly. I was thinking about this after your post - it might have not taken me an entire 2 months but it did take me a couple of weeks.

Also - I think there's a difference between weaning from pumping and weaning from BFing. When you're weaning from BFing - you're already in the process of weaning because the LO is eating more and "drinking" less - so the woman's body must have been prepared to wean completely. When you're pumping - there's no tapering off, etc., so you have to do the tapering off for your body. Also - consider - you not only took it in 5 minute increments - but you adjusted the speed as well.

Anyway - I could be totally wrong... :/

Hope you find some relief soon....

May 4th, 2012, 11:08 am #9

Thanks in advance- karma
in that case, I'd stop cold turkey and go see Dr for anti-biotics if the blocked ducts keeps being blocked.

cabbage leves are for engorgement so I think you are past that stage, right?

google anti-galactagogues.

Mint is one, start drinking mint tea all day. Sage is another herb and parsley too.

Eat things that will get your estrogen up, like tofu/soya.

Sorry your ducts are doing this to you Hope this is all done by this time next week.

hug
jm

Sara H
Sara H

May 4th, 2012, 2:27 pm #10

That does sound unusual, how difficult.
I will contact the dr tomorrow...it is painful ; (
I hope you are doing well!
What do you tell people, when you are 15???

I just said I had a chest infection...

Anyway, my totally sympathies!

See what the dr. says and feel better!

Gentle, non-boob crushing hugs!
Sara H