Last post of the night for me...saw a video during Childbirth class

Last post of the night for me...saw a video during Childbirth class

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

August 10th, 2011, 4:29 am #1

Last night was our first (of 4) childbirth classes.

They showed a birthing video. They showed various women as examples during various stages of labor. For the delivery example, they showed a woman who gave birth while on her hands and knees. There was a sort of very low collective sigh, breath-taking in the room.

At the end of the video the instructor asked if there were any questions. HELLO????? of course, there are questions. I immediately asked "is it common to give birth while on all fours???" I've never seen such a thing and the rest of the couples murmured in agreement and were thankful for my question because they were thinking the same thing.

The instructor said that it's NOT common and she wasn't sure why the video would focus on delivery in such a way. The lady in the video was delivering in a regular hospital so it wasn't like some homebirthing kinda thing. There was medical staff involved and the like. Anyone else heard of this?

The other thing, I have to say I was like an immature 16 year old boy watching this video!! Some of the scene set-ups were just out of control hilarious to me!!! In one shot there's a lady leaning on a birthing ball, on all fours, rocking back and forth making these sounds that to me sounded totally sexual and one of her birthing partners is kneeling directly behind her. In another scene the woman is on all fours on the hospital bed, nude from the waste up (only wearing underwear) and her partner is directly behind her rubbing her lower back/butt while she's moaning away.

Has anyone seen this video?? Again, I know I'm probably being immature with this but I just couldn't help but think this was a bit of a non-traditional video. Is all this stuff normal?? I just didn't imagine labor with me in just undies rocking in a bed on all fours and DH rubbing my butt.

August 10th, 2011, 3:21 pm #2

I have not been to a child birth class yet, but did get a chuckle.
It is funny, but I was just watching a TV show (on BBC) and they showed a woman giving birth on all fours- not showing, showing it, but you could tell she was giving birth on all fours. All I could think was, boy, if this is how it goes down, I have a lot to learn. So I am glad to hear it came up in a class and might be atypical.
I fear being like the 16 yr old too...but worried, I may be covering my eyes! And good grief, I hope I am not in a room with only 16 yr olds!

August 10th, 2011, 3:40 pm #3

They showed a birthing video. They showed various women as examples during various stages of labor. For the delivery example, they showed a woman who gave birth while on her hands and knees. There was a sort of very low collective sigh, breath-taking in the room.

At the end of the video the instructor asked if there were any questions. HELLO????? of course, there are questions. I immediately asked "is it common to give birth while on all fours???" I've never seen such a thing and the rest of the couples murmured in agreement and were thankful for my question because they were thinking the same thing.

The instructor said that it's NOT common and she wasn't sure why the video would focus on delivery in such a way. The lady in the video was delivering in a regular hospital so it wasn't like some homebirthing kinda thing. There was medical staff involved and the like. Anyone else heard of this?

The other thing, I have to say I was like an immature 16 year old boy watching this video!! Some of the scene set-ups were just out of control hilarious to me!!! In one shot there's a lady leaning on a birthing ball, on all fours, rocking back and forth making these sounds that to me sounded totally sexual and one of her birthing partners is kneeling directly behind her. In another scene the woman is on all fours on the hospital bed, nude from the waste up (only wearing underwear) and her partner is directly behind her rubbing her lower back/butt while she's moaning away.

Has anyone seen this video?? Again, I know I'm probably being immature with this but I just couldn't help but think this was a bit of a non-traditional video. Is all this stuff normal?? I just didn't imagine labor with me in just undies rocking in a bed on all fours and DH rubbing my butt.
that particular video, but I've seen lots. I used to watch those shows on TLC that followed PG couples in their last month of PG to the birth. I just couldn't get over how some of these women gave birth! I mean, to each her own, who am I to judge? But I saw births on all fours, crouching, in the tub, in the ocean, you name it. What got me was how open these couples were about it. I mean, I guess if you agree to have a show film you giving birth you'd have to be. But wow. Some of these couples let EVERYONE in the room. Parents, friends, friends of friends, the mailman (kidding on that one). But what really got me was the kids. Young ones or older ones. And the mother would be SCREAMING, totally nude, on all fours or whatever position, and the kids were just sitting there watching, seemingly unphased.

If that were my kids they'd be terrified. They don't even like it when I get teary watching a movie, never mind hollering in pain.

Like I said, I'm not judging anyone else who births in this way. Such a personal experience for everyone. But for me...just DH and I will be there. Others can wait nearby and come in immediately after if all is well.

As for position, at one point with DS#1, I had to try and push on my side because his head was putting too much pressure on my posterior vena cava artery while I was pushing on my back, and I kept passing out. That was the most unique position I was in.

Hugs,
Meg

August 10th, 2011, 3:52 pm #4

I hope you remember this humour when you are labouring, it'll make labour amusing in moments

and birthing on all fours is actually great and if it can be done somewhat standing is better but by the time it's time to push, the woman is exhausted in some cases. In the old days when birthing was done with midwives, there were other women helping and they'd support the birthing mom.
Gravity helps deliver the baby (hence the phrase catching the baby lol) and although I'd have liked to be up on vertical, there was no way, I was too exhausted and in pain then the epidural was given (I had gone in wanting a natural birth and since the birthing mom is queen, she gets what she wants so I begged for the drugs lol. didn't matter, ended in a c-sec anyways)

A girlfriend told me about a method of surrender and release and I wish I'd had that floating in my brain before the birth but oh well.

You'll probably have a hospital tour. Ask the nurses if alternate positions are allowed when it comes time to push. Being on your back is only to accommodate the dr to be able to see what is going on. At least that is what I was told. The epi was too strong to allow me to move at all. I had asked about a walking epi but my hospital didn't allow that, I wonder if they do now.

and remember, during labour you are queen. You don't want so and so in the room? send them out. You don't like that massage, end it. You need your hips compressed direct DH to do that. This is the last time you'll reign supreme because after that the baby is king/queen
I hired a Doula to help us (Doulas are great for the DHs because they coach him to help you if he needs it and of course helps you too) but our DS was born during the SARS epidemic and the hospitals were closed to all except essentials. 2 wks later they allowed Doulas to be included. ha.

We found birth class amusing too. our instructor had an old fashioned way of pronouncing technical words. Centimeter sounded like sohnti-meters. there were others but this was 8yrs ago so I forget now.

jm

August 10th, 2011, 4:53 pm #5

http://www.hulu.com/watch/239646/saturd ... hing-class
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

anonymous
anonymous

August 10th, 2011, 6:40 pm #6

TOO FUNNY!!!!!!! (NT)

August 10th, 2011, 11:22 pm #7

Birthing class was amusing for us at times as well. I'm not sure you would call the video you describe as the norm . . . but to each his own right? We (DH and I) think the birthing class prepares you for maybe more extreme circumstances? That was our experience. During class we "simulated" a birth where there was like 10 people in the room so the mother to be would not be alarmed during the event. In actuality, we had one nurse and doctor besides my husband the WHOLE time. And I had a regular run of the mill birth. Mine was very quiet and serene. We were laughing and joking up til the moment I delivered. Really, it was alot of sitting around and waiting for us and about 15 min of activity. Everyone's story is different though. My doctor (the final one in the practice I had just met the night before was a strange bird) told me she'd give me her leftover chinese food if I pushed out the baby before 9pm (it was 8:45pm at the time). I was successful but no chinese food!! I did actually panic when I saw who the doctor on call was that day - she was certainly weird but excellent skills. You just never know! ps I had no birth plan but I know alot of ladies do. Though our nurse told us they mostly chuckle behind the station at the 3 pagers that people bring. We had 2 requests: a) when they offer the epidural the answer is yes regardless of what I say in the moment - this was DH's one and only job (he passed) and b) we held off on the vaccines until our second or third ped appt (we had to sign a waiver for this).

No doubt yours will be a normal but memorable experience!

August 11th, 2011, 1:18 pm #8

this site won't show outside the US.

August 11th, 2011, 5:28 pm #9

Boo. Its Saturday night live and they protect their copyright like crazy.

well bad quality but here!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0sRSA8ZcIc
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

Maru
Maru

August 11th, 2011, 9:58 pm #10

And this is why I didn't do and will not do childbirth classes!