Infants and antibiotics?

Infants and antibiotics?

ALM
ALM

July 1st, 2012, 4:01 am #1

Good Evening Ladies,

Well, it was bound to happen: my baby has gotten sick. I took him into the emergency Saturday clinic and fortunately his pediatrician was on duty. My guy had a cold (bad sniffles, that I knew) and an ear infection, so they prescribed antibiotics.

I really don't like the idea of giving such a young baby (4 months) antibiotics. The Doc said I could watch him and then maybe not end up having to give them to him. Well, my poor guy started crying and screaming all the way home and was just so stopped up that I went ahead and filled the prescription and he started on them this afternoon. I was so afraid the bad sniffles were going to turn into an upper respiratory infection, and he's so small.

Right now he's konked out and I can tell that he's less congested already after 2 doses of antibiotics. Still, it feels kind of creepy.

Anyone else have experience with this?

THANKS!
ALM

Laura
Laura

July 1st, 2012, 4:37 am #2

You don't want to take the chance that he gets so congested he can't breathe. My friend is an ER doc and she is very aware of antibiotic resistance and does not Rx them lightly and says she does know any dr that does. Anyway, it's not really overuse of antibiotics that have led to resistance, it's misuse (either taking them when you're not sick or not finishing a prescription when you are given one).

If they helped, it was obviously a bacterial infection and you were right to give them to him. You probably already know this but you must finish the entire prescription even if he is doing better. You don't want to kill off 95% of the bacteria, only to have the other 5% (and the strongest) continue to proliferate.

You're doin great! I hope he gets better soon!

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

July 1st, 2012, 5:10 pm #3

Good Evening Ladies,

Well, it was bound to happen: my baby has gotten sick. I took him into the emergency Saturday clinic and fortunately his pediatrician was on duty. My guy had a cold (bad sniffles, that I knew) and an ear infection, so they prescribed antibiotics.

I really don't like the idea of giving such a young baby (4 months) antibiotics. The Doc said I could watch him and then maybe not end up having to give them to him. Well, my poor guy started crying and screaming all the way home and was just so stopped up that I went ahead and filled the prescription and he started on them this afternoon. I was so afraid the bad sniffles were going to turn into an upper respiratory infection, and he's so small.

Right now he's konked out and I can tell that he's less congested already after 2 doses of antibiotics. Still, it feels kind of creepy.

THANKS!
ALM
i agree, you did the right thing. you might look into giving your DS probiotics, which is supposed to help counter the negatives of the antibiotics and keep the right balance of intestinal flora. i assume at 4 months he isn't yet on solids, but yogurt is also good to eat when on antibiotics. i hope he is feeling better! and remember, these things are usually harder on the parents then on the kid. they are so resilient! but still, its hard. hang in there, mom!

July 2nd, 2012, 6:04 pm #4

Good Evening Ladies,

THANKS!
ALM
Mine had a course because of something- I cant even remember! These were the hard core antibiotics too. You did the right thing. Yes they are abused, but we never need to go back to the days when kids died with brain abscesses or had hearing loss from ear infections.

Do you have Baby 411? She is very conservative with her approaches and has lots of common sense advice on everything.
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

ZakiaZ
ZakiaZ

July 3rd, 2012, 2:57 am #5

Good Evening Ladies,

THANKS!
ALM
I'm glad you gave him the meds. It's sometimes tough to get over our "don't wants" and deal with our babies immediate needs. The time between when we get the meds and decide to give the meds can cause our lo's so much suffering. But your baby is doing better now and will be alright. And maybe he's konked out because it's what his body needs to do to heal and not necessarily because the meds did it.

Good for you for giving him the meds and hope baby mends soon.

Z.

Wren
Wren

July 3rd, 2012, 5:09 am #6

Good Evening Ladies,

THANKS!
ALM
I hesitate with antibiotics as well. But my son had a double ear infection and we decided to go
Ahead with them. It was the first and so far only time we gave them and I'm glad we did. What helped clear his infection up even faster was adding garlic oil in his ears. You can find that a health food stores. Just a drop or so and he was better so much faster than it would have usually taken.

ALM
ALM

July 4th, 2012, 7:21 pm #7

You don't want to take the chance that he gets so congested he can't breathe. My friend is an ER doc and she is very aware of antibiotic resistance and does not Rx them lightly and says she does know any dr that does. Anyway, it's not really overuse of antibiotics that have led to resistance, it's misuse (either taking them when you're not sick or not finishing a prescription when you are given one).

If they helped, it was obviously a bacterial infection and you were right to give them to him. You probably already know this but you must finish the entire prescription even if he is doing better. You don't want to kill off 95% of the bacteria, only to have the other 5% (and the strongest) continue to proliferate.

You're doin great! I hope he gets better soon!
He is doing much better! My understanding is that a cold causes an ear infection in infants b/c of the way their passages are aligned at this age. He has definitely improved over the past several days! Thank goodness!

ALM
ALM

July 4th, 2012, 7:23 pm #8

i agree, you did the right thing. you might look into giving your DS probiotics, which is supposed to help counter the negatives of the antibiotics and keep the right balance of intestinal flora. i assume at 4 months he isn't yet on solids, but yogurt is also good to eat when on antibiotics. i hope he is feeling better! and remember, these things are usually harder on the parents then on the kid. they are so resilient! but still, its hard. hang in there, mom!
Thank you Broodyhen,

I will look into the probiotics. I had started putting a bit of rice cereal in his bottle (less than 1 whole teaspoon), a couple of times a day, but I am now going to stop that and hold off a bit. Maybe another month. Solids are at least 2 months away.....

Thanks for the info on the probiotics, and I'll take a look around for them as well as talk to his doctor.

Happy 4th!

ALM
ALM

July 4th, 2012, 7:25 pm #9

Mine had a course because of something- I cant even remember! These were the hard core antibiotics too. You did the right thing. Yes they are abused, but we never need to go back to the days when kids died with brain abscesses or had hearing loss from ear infections.

Do you have Baby 411? She is very conservative with her approaches and has lots of common sense advice on everything.
Thanks Alli - I am glad I gave him the prescriptions. I do have Baby 411, but honestly most of the time I don't even have time to open up a book. I know you can relate with 3!! I'm going to search for a website that gives updates on baby development month by month, kind of like the "What to expect when expecting" books.....

I hope you and your brood are doing great!

ALM
ALM

July 4th, 2012, 7:27 pm #10

I'm glad you gave him the meds. It's sometimes tough to get over our "don't wants" and deal with our babies immediate needs. The time between when we get the meds and decide to give the meds can cause our lo's so much suffering. But your baby is doing better now and will be alright. And maybe he's konked out because it's what his body needs to do to heal and not necessarily because the meds did it.

Good for you for giving him the meds and hope baby mends soon.

Z.
Thanks Z. I had planned on waiting and watching, but by the time we were coming home from the docs it was obvious he was in pain, so I filled the prescription immediately. Thank God I brought him in! I think I caught it in the nick of time....he's sleeping now.....and doing much better.

I hope you are well!