Hospital Bag?? What did you include?

Hospital Bag?? What did you include?

ALM
ALM

February 2nd, 2012, 12:55 am #1

Good Evening Ladies,

I'm getting my lists checked off to get ready for this Baby. I'm meeting a 2nd pediatrician this week, getting references for childcare, lining up a grooming appointment for my dog, had 1 of 2 baby showers, got the hospital birthing ward tour this weekend. Oh, the list goes on! Still have to look into Doula and Baby nurse. Oh, and install baby carseat and have that inspected.

So, the hospital bag: Is it a mini-suitcase or more like a diaper bag? Won't the hospital have toiletries or will I need those? I know for sure I need a wear-home outfit for me and baby. What else? I've taken an infant care and an infant CPR but am going to skip the actual birthing classes.

What did you put in your elusive Hospital Bag, and was it a bag or a small suitcase?

THANKS!!

February 2nd, 2012, 1:25 am #2

My water broke before I completely packed my bag so I forgot a few items but here was my go-to list:

* camera
* pillow
* baby outfits to accomodate 2 sizes
* carseat + manual (just in case - I had to adjust the straps and had a v-8 moment)
* extra duffle bag to bring home hospital mesh underware, pads etc.
* throw away underware (though I wore the mesh, a little too long I suppose)
* YOUR OWN BOTTLE OF COLACE. Note it's in caps. That's because they kept forgetting to bring it to me and I severely needed it. LOL
* Comfy post pg clothes to wear in the hospital + a going home outfit (I forgot the former so I lounged in their gown & robe the whole time
* Slippers/socks
* Magazine if you might be in early stages of labor for a long time like myself.
* Phone/charger
* Bathing suit - I swear it was mentioned in the baby care class if you wanted to take a long shower - though it was pretty funny because the nurses chuckled a bit when I asked. Yeah didn't happen.
* If you plan to BF - any BF stuff - though the nurses are really helpful.

I ate 2 breakfasts before I left the house which is a good thing since I didn't eat again til the next day!

This is so exciting! Best of Luck

Sara H
Sara H

February 2nd, 2012, 1:27 am #3

Good Evening Ladies,

I'm getting my lists checked off to get ready for this Baby. I'm meeting a 2nd pediatrician this week, getting references for childcare, lining up a grooming appointment for my dog, had 1 of 2 baby showers, got the hospital birthing ward tour this weekend. Oh, the list goes on! Still have to look into Doula and Baby nurse. Oh, and install baby carseat and have that inspected.

So, the hospital bag: Is it a mini-suitcase or more like a diaper bag? Won't the hospital have toiletries or will I need those? I know for sure I need a wear-home outfit for me and baby. What else? I've taken an infant care and an infant CPR but am going to skip the actual birthing classes.

What did you put in your elusive Hospital Bag, and was it a bag or a small suitcase?

THANKS!!
hospital experience.

Maternity wards are better but there are lots of bugs in hospitals. So, I would suggest a bag that is either hard sided so you can wipe it down with anti-bacterial wipes after being in the room or on the floor or a soft bag that you are comfortable throwing into the wash.

Also, to whatever list you have, add wipes and have who ever is with you wipe everything they can thing of in the room,especially the phone, nurse call button and tv remote, the most commonly missed items.

I don't mean to sound paranoid but my mother is a president of a "Patients Safely Rights" group in CT. We have way too much experience with this!

Other than that: I have no idea yet, fuzzy slippers are no-slip and that, more importantly, make you smile?
I'll take notes from your post for August!

Good luck!
Sara H

Laura
Laura

February 2nd, 2012, 1:28 am #4

Good Evening Ladies,

THANKS!!
Yes, they have them, but bring your own travel-sized stuff and a toothbrush bc their stuff is not great. Read their policy on scents, most hospitals want stuff to be unscented. Also bring sandals for the shower.

Hmm...I didn't get to pack a real bag bc I had a preemie, but here's stuff I made DH run back and forth to bring. A small suitcase is probably all you need.

1. Your own pillow and warm pajamas/sweats. I was freezing in those hospital gowns
2. Your own nursing bra and underwear...several changes
3. Slippers...you get these socks with non-slip soles, but they aren't warm
4. iPod/music player and dock
5. Headband/hairties
6. Going-home outfit for baby
7. If you're planning on bf, a nursing pillow (boppy/breastfriend)
8. Again, if you're planning on bf, bring your pump accessories so the LC can show you how to pump. Not all hospitals will give them out. Also investing in a few microwave-sterilizer bags would be useful.
9. Sleeping bag for DH

Laura
Laura

February 2nd, 2012, 1:34 am #5

Stuff that's easy to sneak and digest. You're not supposed to eat once you're admitted until you have the baby. That could be 24 hours, which is insane bc they have to treat everyone like they'll be intubated for an emergency C-section and will choke on their own vomit during intubation. Power bars, jello cups, crackers, bottled water. I didn't chow down or anything but there were certainly times that I knew I needed to eat to get through it. A few bites at a time and never in front of the nurse.

MargieD
MargieD

February 2nd, 2012, 2:20 am #6

Good Evening Ladies,

THANKS!!
Bring something to do!!

Labor was very slow for me... I was bored out of my mind most of the day....

You will want to bring various activites to break up the monotary and if you're hoping to go natural - you'll want things that will distract you.

sch1star
sch1star

February 2nd, 2012, 10:25 am #7

So excited for you! Lots of good ideas already here.

Not just your own pillow but your own blanket will be worth a million. Even if it's just a throw. And same for anyone rooming in with you.

A little makeup and/or jewelry to make you feel more human during photos

If you are bf - nipple soothies and lanolin. Baby will want to suck a lot and those first days take adjustment.

Nursing bras, at least a sleep bra, and a comfy or nursing nightie.

Don't forget you will still look about 6 mo pg when you leave. Pack something maternity!

February 2nd, 2012, 4:05 pm #8

Good Evening Ladies,

THANKS!!
Definitely a small suitcase. I would think a bag would work if you have a larger duffle bags where you can really stuff things in.
My hospital mentions they do provide the basic toiletries - soap, toothbrush and toothpaste.
They mentioned they don't include hair dryers in the rooms so this might be a big thing for you and something to look in to.
I brought an outfit for my husband too just in case, can never go wrong with having some clean undies.
Like pp mentioned, 2 outfits for bean just in case b/c of size proportion.
I made sure to bring my own shampoo and conditioner, brush and hair accessories (elastics for pony tails or those ones that go around your head). I did bring my flat iron too if I decide to be non lazy.
I brought some nice lotion b/c I am a dork and align scents with special times.
A lot of my other stuff is similar to what other people mentioned. I wanted to pack some candy suckers but can't find this flavor. I fully plan on sending the hubby on grab and go missions once I am there if I want fresh fruit/yougart and stuff like that.

Wish you the best.

February 3rd, 2012, 12:11 am #9

Good Evening Ladies,

THANKS!!
Just make sure you pack the basics. I did not have my basics bag packed and DH brought along everything and anything...surprised the dog's leash wasn't included!!
My biggest bit of advice, bring a nice night gown or comfy yoga clothes to feel human in after a post delivery shower. Bring your toiletries again, so you feel like yourself. My induction/delivery was such a whirlwind, that I wore their gown. And my water breaking was messy...so I didn't care that I was getting hospital clothes messy.
DH was constantly sent out on little trips. Starbucks, car seat install...etc - my DH needed a little 'out of room time'. I was fine getting an extra nap in.
Best to you!!

ALM
ALM

February 4th, 2012, 9:52 pm #10

My water broke before I completely packed my bag so I forgot a few items but here was my go-to list:

* camera
* pillow
* baby outfits to accomodate 2 sizes
* carseat + manual (just in case - I had to adjust the straps and had a v-8 moment)
* extra duffle bag to bring home hospital mesh underware, pads etc.
* throw away underware (though I wore the mesh, a little too long I suppose)
* YOUR OWN BOTTLE OF COLACE. Note it's in caps. That's because they kept forgetting to bring it to me and I severely needed it. LOL
* Comfy post pg clothes to wear in the hospital + a going home outfit (I forgot the former so I lounged in their gown & robe the whole time
* Slippers/socks
* Magazine if you might be in early stages of labor for a long time like myself.
* Phone/charger
* Bathing suit - I swear it was mentioned in the baby care class if you wanted to take a long shower - though it was pretty funny because the nurses chuckled a bit when I asked. Yeah didn't happen.
* If you plan to BF - any BF stuff - though the nurses are really helpful.

I ate 2 breakfasts before I left the house which is a good thing since I didn't eat again til the next day!

This is so exciting! Best of Luck
Thanks Rebekah. Great list, but I think I'll skip the swimsuit . That is terrifying that your water broke and you had to go on the fly. I was reading last night in WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN EXPECTING the section about "Emergency Home Birth Alone". Are you kidding me? Made me feel I'm also getting a car service lined up just in case I can't get hold of a family member when the time comes. I yi yi.

Yes, exciting, and terrifying at the same time!