Honest opinions on baby registry item

Honest opinions on baby registry item

JulesM
JulesM

September 29th, 2011, 1:10 am #1

My sister and I have picked out invitations for my shower. Both she and my mom want to get them printed asap so they can see the colors in person (since it's an on-line company) so they can plan the shower theme based on how they look. I have registered at Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby but I am also considering adding my newborn photographer to the invite too. Is this cheesy? My sister says "no", my mom says "I don't know"... I just want some other opinions. The photographer is pretty expensive, I'll be spending over $1000 for the session and photos. They actually sent me registry cards to put in shower invites when I booked with them, so I am thinking that it's a common thing, but don't want people thinking it's inappropriate.

I know this is not a major life crisis but I would love some honest feedback from you guys. They want to order the invites this week so I need to make this decision.

TIA!!

ALM
ALM

September 29th, 2011, 1:52 am #2

Good Evening Jules!

Let me first clarify that I understand your question: You are paying $1000 for photographer and as part of your registry folks could purchase parts of that $1000 for you? Like a gift card of sorts? Am I understanding this right?

If I'm totally honest, my first knee jerk reaction is "no". That said, I'm just past 16 weeks with my 1st and haven't been to a shower in ages (all my friends had kids years ago!) so I'm not sure what's 'normal'. I can say that as part of my shower I was thinking about putting in an option of a pregnancy massage, but something made me think it wasn't quite appropriate. I know it's not the same, but it's a similar "intangible".

I guess the reason I think "no" potentially is that folks typically want to buy something for the baby that is tangible. Something they can see the baby use or wear - it makes them feel part of the experience and is fun to shop for. I think that's part of the reason so many purchase baby clothes versus items directly from the list - because they're so fun to shop for!

Hopefully others will chime in with more insight and experience. Anyhow, whatever you decide I'm sure will be fine. That's just my $0.02. Good Luck!!

Bethpky
Bethpky

September 29th, 2011, 2:27 am #3

My sister and I have picked out invitations for my shower. Both she and my mom want to get them printed asap so they can see the colors in person (since it's an on-line company) so they can plan the shower theme based on how they look. I have registered at Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby but I am also considering adding my newborn photographer to the invite too. Is this cheesy? My sister says "no", my mom says "I don't know"... I just want some other opinions. The photographer is pretty expensive, I'll be spending over $1000 for the session and photos. They actually sent me registry cards to put in shower invites when I booked with them, so I am thinking that it's a common thing, but don't want people thinking it's inappropriate.

I know this is not a major life crisis but I would love some honest feedback from you guys. They want to order the invites this week so I need to make this decision.

TIA!!
I asked shower hosts not to put registries on invitations but to inform guest of my registries (Target and Babies R Us) if anyone asked. One of my co-workers asked me what I'd like as a group gift from some of my co-workers. I told her a gift certificate to a local photographer, so that's what she told my other co-workers. Also, don't bother registering for a crib bedding set! I bought a nice one and ending up only using the bedskirt. Babies can't have bumper pads or heavy blankets in the bed, so a bedding set a complete waste of money in my opinion.

How are you feeling, Jules? Can you believe the big day is getting closer?!

I go back to work part-time on Friday which should be an experience! My Mom will be watching Spencer a couple of days a week until he starts daycare.

Maru
Maru

September 29th, 2011, 4:03 am #4

TIA!!
I'd say maybe no?

I'd probably find it weird if you sent me an invitation with that.

Maybe if it was your second and you didn't have to buy any baby items that would be more likely, but people want to buy baby things.

And know that even though you register people will buy you RANDOM things they think you need, which made me CRAZY!

I did two registries too, BRU and Amazon and I had them both on the invitation, so two is fine, it makes it easier for people to go to the store that is closer to them.

JulesM
JulesM

September 29th, 2011, 7:20 am #5

Good Evening Jules!

Let me first clarify that I understand your question: You are paying $1000 for photographer and as part of your registry folks could purchase parts of that $1000 for you? Like a gift card of sorts? Am I understanding this right?

If I'm totally honest, my first knee jerk reaction is "no". That said, I'm just past 16 weeks with my 1st and haven't been to a shower in ages (all my friends had kids years ago!) so I'm not sure what's 'normal'. I can say that as part of my shower I was thinking about putting in an option of a pregnancy massage, but something made me think it wasn't quite appropriate. I know it's not the same, but it's a similar "intangible".

I guess the reason I think "no" potentially is that folks typically want to buy something for the baby that is tangible. Something they can see the baby use or wear - it makes them feel part of the experience and is fun to shop for. I think that's part of the reason so many purchase baby clothes versus items directly from the list - because they're so fun to shop for!

Hopefully others will chime in with more insight and experience. Anyhow, whatever you decide I'm sure will be fine. That's just my $0.02. Good Luck!!
Not the whole amount. Thank you for chiming in... I needed this type of feedback. And what you said totally makes sense, people do prefer tangible gifts. I'm going to tell them to leave it off the registry.

JulesM
JulesM

September 29th, 2011, 7:26 am #6

I asked shower hosts not to put registries on invitations but to inform guest of my registries (Target and Babies R Us) if anyone asked. One of my co-workers asked me what I'd like as a group gift from some of my co-workers. I told her a gift certificate to a local photographer, so that's what she told my other co-workers. Also, don't bother registering for a crib bedding set! I bought a nice one and ending up only using the bedskirt. Babies can't have bumper pads or heavy blankets in the bed, so a bedding set a complete waste of money in my opinion.

How are you feeling, Jules? Can you believe the big day is getting closer?!

I go back to work part-time on Friday which should be an experience! My Mom will be watching Spencer a couple of days a week until he starts daycare.
I'm going to leave it off.... this is the feedback I was looking for. And thanks for the info on the bedding set!
Oh, it must be so hard to have to think about going back to work after having such precious time with your little guy. It will be good to have your mom there to start with, I think it will make leaving him for a few days a bit easier.
I'm feeling really good, but HUGE! haha. I cannot believe I'm more than half way there!!

JulesM
JulesM

September 29th, 2011, 7:31 am #7

I'd say maybe no?

I'd probably find it weird if you sent me an invitation with that.

Maybe if it was your second and you didn't have to buy any baby items that would be more likely, but people want to buy baby things.

And know that even though you register people will buy you RANDOM things they think you need, which made me CRAZY!

I did two registries too, BRU and Amazon and I had them both on the invitation, so two is fine, it makes it easier for people to go to the store that is closer to them.
Just what I wanted to hear. I couldn't decided if I would think it weird or not if I got an invite with that on it, so I am so glad to hear this type of feedback BEFORE getting these things printed. I hear you about the random things.... it was the same way with my wedding.
I was hesitant to post such a frivolous question, but now I am glad I did! Thanks for your feedback!

September 29th, 2011, 1:35 pm #8

TIA!!
Maybe it's gaining in popularity, though, not sure. I think it's a good idea, but I definitely think people in our families would be put off by it.

Lots of people register at two places. My favorites are BRU and Pottery Barn Kids.

Hugs, and have fun at your shower!!

Meg

lucy999
lucy999

September 29th, 2011, 1:43 pm #9

TIA!!
add stuff to your registry and have people buy what they want. Some people may still send you money and stuff or gift cards but let it be there choice. We just did 3 showers in my family. I would not tell people to add to a 1000 picture deal. It seems excessive. Those kinds of stuff are things you and hubby do for yourselves. Just my humble opinion.

JulesM
JulesM

September 29th, 2011, 2:03 pm #10

TIA!!
I don't know if it's a new thing or what, but it got me thinking of doing it when the studio mentioned it. With the welcome package they sent out the registry cards... which were very nice, but I obviously had some doubts and that's why I came to you guys. I am soo glad I did!

Funny, I was out walking with a friend last night and she was telling me she has an engagement party to go to on Fri. On the invites it actually said "in lue of gifts, the couple could benefit in money towards their honeymoon"... or wording similar to that. I was in shock that someone would request cash... especially at an engagement party!! I would HATE for people to think that about me!