Help: incapacitating nausea

Help: incapacitating nausea

Laura
Laura

June 4th, 2012, 1:53 pm #1

My nausea is so much worse than with my first child. I can hardly stand to be awake, but I have a child to take care of so I can't just lie around. All of my normal remedies are not working: ginger ale, ginger chews, eating constantly, drinking water constantly, none of it works. EatIng makes me feel worse and even makes my stomach HURT. Did anyone get mess from their OB? Did they work?

Erin
Erin

June 4th, 2012, 2:31 pm #2

But a close of friend of mine had incapacitating nausea and vomiting during her pregnancy and her OB gave her Zofran. It was the only way she could function and she ended up taking for a while since the n/v unfortunately continued well into her 2nd trimester. Her son is 4mos now and beautiful and healthy btw! If it's really bad, I think it's better to get treated. So sorry you're feeling so badly .

mel
mel

June 4th, 2012, 3:31 pm #3

My nausea is so much worse than with my first child. I can hardly stand to be awake, but I have a child to take care of so I can't just lie around. All of my normal remedies are not working: ginger ale, ginger chews, eating constantly, drinking water constantly, none of it works. EatIng makes me feel worse and even makes my stomach HURT. Did anyone get mess from their OB? Did they work?
I can totally sympathize, as it was also much worse for me this time around. The only way I got reprieve from the nausea was to sleep, which wasn't always an option, especially since I work full time and have a 3.5yo to care for.

My RE, OB and my acu all suggested Vit B6 and Unisom. I would take 1/2 unisom and B6 at night, b/c I couldn't function on it during the day. I would still take the B6 though 2x more per day. I was still nauseous and throwing up with this combo, but I feared it would have been much worse had I not been taking it, so I continued to take it up until about week 15. Some people swear by this combo though.

I was on an all carb diet for a few months, as that was all I could handle. Water even became a chore to try and drink, and it was a real struggle for a few months. As much as you are able to, try to snack to keep some food in your stomach. I also was always sucking on hard candies (prego pops) or life savers, even ice cubes.

Sorry you are dealing with it and I hope you are able to get some relief.

June 4th, 2012, 3:34 pm #4

I had severe m/s with my two prior PGs, too, but nothing like with my third. Nothing worked, I couldn't leave the house. The only thing that helped was Zofran. And with the Zofran came severe constipation, but it was better than the constant puking. I'd only take a half of the Zofran so the constipation wouldn't be as bad, and that still helped a ton.

Hugs to you. I know how miserable it is to feel like that. ((((()))))

Meg

June 4th, 2012, 4:26 pm #5

My nausea with my first pg was debilitating - for 3 months. Nothing helped - all the things you mentioned plus wrist bands, unisom, the prescription Zofran. One day around week 22 I just felt better and from then on it was OK. I only gained 17 pounds the entire pregnancy because I couldn't eat for 4 months! My OB said my constipation was contributing to the nausea so make sure you're keeping that under control. The only good thing about it is it's reassuring because you know the babe's OK in there. Good luck to you - I hope you feel better....

Sarah

jkl
jkl

June 4th, 2012, 6:20 pm #6

I'm having the same problem, this pregnancy is so much worse than previous ones. I have the same problem with eating, it make me feel better temporarily but then I feel worse. Also, water tastes really bad to me even though I used to drink water all the time pre-pregnancy. I am not throwing up though so not sure I would be a candidate for the drugs. Just sucks feeling crappy all the time.

Glad to hear others had the same problems with subsequent pregnancies, I'm 10 weeks so I'm hoping I will start feeling better soon.

Your stomach may be hurting may be because food is not moving through it (P4 slows this down). That's why it is recommended to have small meals with lots of carbs that are easier to digest. I take metamucil actually to keep things moving and combat constipation. I need to try the B6 thing.

jkl

Teresa
Teresa

June 4th, 2012, 6:44 pm #7

I'm not puking but I am queasy all day and all night. Sometimes it wakes me up 3 am. I try to take small bites of dry toast and suck on ginger candies. But it doesn't always work. I take alot of deep breaths and make sure I have access to fresh air, sometimes that helps. I'm sorry, it's an awful feeling. I hope it passes, some days I have it some days I don't. Hugs!

Alli
Alli

June 4th, 2012, 7:33 pm #8

I still had low grade nausea but didn't vomit with it. Can't hurt to try. That's one way I knew I was m/c this round. I had horrible nausea for 2 days then nothing when the cramping started.

And I hear ya about other kids. I asked DH how in h*ll I could take care of triplets with that nausea!!

June 4th, 2012, 9:20 pm #9

and in fact, since then, it makes me feel a little sick if I drink a ginger tea. Even cookies. yikes because I love the taste of ginger.

My nausea wasn't bad enough to make me puke but it was uncomfortable so I took some vitamin B6 and that helped a lot. Didn't eliminate the nausea but helped. In my case, it hit hard when my blood sugar was low.

I'd go see the OB for help. My Dr would have given me some diclectin (sp??)

good luck, it's really hard when there's a young one to take care of too. I found my second pg harder because of that and because my body was 4.5yrs older too. ugh.
Maybe you are carrying a girl

hugs
jm

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

anna
anna

June 4th, 2012, 10:58 pm #10

I am sorry, I don't have much advice, but what helped me was carbohydrates, wheat bread was my bff. All i ate for first trim was veg wrap. Because meat and chicken would make me feel worse.