Good News - MaterniT21 (child ment'd)

Good News - MaterniT21 (child ment'd)

Liz Portland OR
Liz Portland OR

August 30th, 2012, 10:08 pm #1

Hello ladies -
my genetic counselor just called and my MaterniT21 test was negative.

And they now can determine gender & it looks like they found the Y chromosome - so we are having a boy.
I have never been hung up on gender preference - my mantra everyday is a healthy baby, pls both now & with my only other pregnancy.
My 6 yo son will be happy - right now he's in that "No Girlz Allowed" stage.
I am 14 weeks and we have not told him - only my husband & sister know.
In addition I just started a new job in June and I must have already been pregnant starting in May but I had no idea since we were no trying & I gave up....
I am worried to tell them. Luckily in Oregon our FMLA is valid after 6 months of employment vs most states where it kicks in after a year....
this will help with maternity leave.

Because of my age 42 - I am still debating a amnio...
yes the MaterniT21 test results are great indicators, my 1st tri screen was 1 in 801 for Downs - 1 in 1000 for Tri 13 + 18
however I am still neurotic & would like to be sure.

I have to debate the amnio & the mc rate.
A lot of serious thinking....
L

Gym girl
Gym girl

August 31st, 2012, 2:22 am #2

That's great news!! Do they typically advise doing an amnio after the Materniti21 or are the results pretty accurate? I've heard that there may be false positives but haven't heard if there may be false negatives.

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do!

Teresa
Teresa

August 31st, 2012, 12:11 pm #3

Hello ladies -

And they now can determine gender & it looks like they found the Y chromosome - so we are having a boy.
I have never been hung up on gender preference - my mantra everyday is a healthy baby, pls both now & with my only other pregnancy.
In addition I just started a new job in June and I must have already been pregnant starting in May but I had no idea since we were no trying & I gave up....
I am worried to tell them. Luckily in Oregon our FMLA is valid after 6 months of employment vs most states where it kicks in after a year....

yes the MaterniT21 test results are great indicators, my 1st tri screen was 1 in 801 for Downs - 1 in 1000 for Tri 13 + 18

L
Well first, congratulations on your NEGATIVE results. I hope you feel more relieved with them.

I have to say, I'm surprised that you wrote that now they can determine the gender from this test. As you may (or not) recall, I had the MaterniT21 test not too long ago. We had asked our GC if the babys gender would be able to be determined and were told no. Since we also had to call Sequenom about a few things, I asked the question directly to them, and was told no way. In fact, I was also transfered to their lab and they unequivocally told me absolutely not. They said while the technology is there, they do not use it, as it's too new and there is still significant FDA oversight due to the novelty of this test for anything other than detecting Trisomies 13 and 18 and DS.

In any case, congrats on team blue

Your numbers were great. It's pretty uncommon to get a negative MaterniT21 test and then have a DS baby but you have to do what's right for you as far as deciding to do an amnio. Good luck.

jkl
jkl

August 31st, 2012, 4:14 pm #4

There is a lot of controversy about this test in regards to gender, because there is some evidence that in certain ethnic cultures they will for example abort the girls if they find out early enough. So there is some debate if people should find out that early. I sort of agree, and hope these testing services won't tell people, as it is not that important to find out that early, particularly if it means that these horrible practices could be avoided.

Glad to hear the good news Liz!

jkl

mel
mel

August 31st, 2012, 9:22 pm #5

Hello ladies -

L
Great news on the results of your Materniti21 test and hooray for Team Blue!!! Good luck on your decision regarding an amnio.

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

September 1st, 2012, 5:29 am #6

Hello ladies -

L
great news, liz