freaking out right now

freaking out right now

bigboy
bigboy

October 17th, 2011, 6:19 pm #1

okay so i got my thyroid checked last week. i HAD TO CALL and ASK what it was. and the nurse said "oh there is a note for you to go to the endocrinologist". to make a long story short i demanded to speak to the doctor who said that my TSH was .19. which is hyperactive but he was saying "borderline" but my T4 was normal - or normal to him which is 1.5. so then i called back later to get the # for the endocrinologist and she told me that it is 0.019!!!! that is super hyperactive. i told her what the OB said and asked her to double check and she said that "he must have read it wrong" and i said "well could you like TELL HIM?? that's a big difference". im so mad right now and pissed off. hyperactive is NOT good and pregnancy. wtf? i had to request it and i had to call and get the results. i called my old RE bc i know at least he will call me back. i know this sh*t isnt good for the pregancy and that i could miscarry bc of this!! this seems like an emergency situation and no one seems to give a flying f*ck. im so pissed of right now. im now calling my old doctors to see what it was this spring bc it was "normal" then. not that that helps my situation now, but i still want to know the number.

October 17th, 2011, 6:48 pm #2

Then things are very likely okay. Hcg has stimulating effects on the thyroid. You probably have high levels of it, judging by your severe ms. Since your hcg is stimming the thyroid to normal levels, your pituitary doesn't have to send out very much tsh. Your high hcg is most likely falsely suppressing your tsh number. I assume you had you thyroid tested when you were ttc and it was normal?

If t4 is good, I wouldn't freak out. I know it's scary, but I think things are better than you are fearing they are.

bigboy
bigboy

October 17th, 2011, 6:59 pm #3

.019 just seems dramatically low. ive seen different ranges of "normal" for the T4...but it seems that .8-2.0 seems to be the norm. he said my 1.5 was on the higher end of normal but still normal. im just really frustrated bc the doctor says one thing then the nurse says another saying that "he must have read it wrong" like it is no big deal. and i had to call and get the damn results. why wouldnt he tell me what you just told me???? that would have made me feel a hell of a lot better.
i had my thyroid checked in march by my internal med doctor, who said it was "fine". - i didnt ask for the number bc at the time i was focused on other stuff that could be wrong. but he is a really good internal med doc so if it was .019 or close to that he would have flagged it. i also had it tested by an RE in may, who wants the thyroid under 1.0. i was in his office as he was looking at all of my levels, that was when he told me i had the elevated fsh but everything else was "fine". again, i didnt ask for the number bc again, this time was focused on the FSH.
so i asked for my thyroid to be tested again last week, simply bc i never got the actual number, the OB couldnt find anything in the records transfer, and i just wanted to be sure.

bigboy
bigboy

October 17th, 2011, 7:01 pm #4

..also the reason im so anal about getting it checked is bc hypoactive thyroid runs heavily in my family - grandma, mom and sister- not hyperactive though, so i wasnt expecting that.

October 17th, 2011, 7:18 pm #5

okay so i got my thyroid checked last week. i HAD TO CALL and ASK what it was. and the nurse said "oh there is a note for you to go to the endocrinologist". to make a long story short i demanded to speak to the doctor who said that my TSH was .19. which is hyperactive but he was saying "borderline" but my T4 was normal - or normal to him which is 1.5. so then i called back later to get the # for the endocrinologist and she told me that it is 0.019!!!! that is super hyperactive. i told her what the OB said and asked her to double check and she said that "he must have read it wrong" and i said "well could you like TELL HIM?? that's a big difference". im so mad right now and pissed off. hyperactive is NOT good and pregnancy. wtf? i had to request it and i had to call and get the results. i called my old RE bc i know at least he will call me back. i know this sh*t isnt good for the pregancy and that i could miscarry bc of this!! this seems like an emergency situation and no one seems to give a flying f*ck. im so pissed of right now. im now calling my old doctors to see what it was this spring bc it was "normal" then. not that that helps my situation now, but i still want to know the number.
I'd be totally steamed at this Dr....who is this? A MFM? Or RE? Whoever it is, they are dropping the ball and you should definitely get in to an endocrinologist like yesterday.

A couple weeks ago I had a nurse tell me my thyroid was normal...and I had to ask for the number and found out it was 3.05. If you compare that to a couple months ago when I was ttc, it was 1.84...to me, that seems like a large fluctuation and not "normal". So obviously, we can't take nurses words for it. Or Dr's for that matter!

Hang in there, I'm sure everything will be ok, just get in to an endo and tell them how important this is to you!

TTC: Since Nov. 2006
Diagnosis: Ovarian Dysfunction & PCOS
28 Years Old
cd3 FSH 16.8
cd10 FSH 13.6
7 Unmonitored Cycles of Clomid
3 Unmonitored Cycles of Letrozole
Positive CCCT
TAB for cysts
1st Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed BDing - 5 mature follies - BFN
TAB for cysts
2nd Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 4 mature follies in play - BFN
3rd Cycle of 150 iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 2 follies - BFN
1st Cycle of Gonal F - 1 follie & cyst on right - BFN
TAB for a cycle
2nd Cycle of Gonal F = BFP!!!!!
11dpo Beta=27.9
14dpo Beta=120
16dpo Beta=210
18dpo Beta=429
21dpo Beta=1064
5w6d - baby measuring 3mm, h/b 101
6w6d - baby measuring 6mm, h/b 126
7w6d - baby 18mm, h/b 171, measuring ahead at 8w2d! RE noticed enlarged yolk sac so keeping a close eye on that
8w6d - baby 2.52cm with h/b of 174
9w5d - baby 3.22cm with h/b of 180 measuring 10w1d
10w6d - baby 4.34cmcm with h/b of 174 measuring 11w1d
12w u/s showed baby at 11.2cm with h/b of 162 - unfortunately, that evening I suffered a horrible m/c of a chromosomally NORMAL girl.... RIP my angel girl...you were loved....

Gonal F with Timed Intercourse-2WW
First cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse since m/c - BFN
2nd Cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse - BFN
TAB for a month on bcp's
3rd Cycle of Gonal F - BFP
-11dpo beta=14.9
-14dpo beta=45.7
-16dpo beta=140
-18dpo beta=366
u/s at 6w1d showed heart-rate of 114!!!!
u/s at 7w1d showed heart-rate of 141!!!!
u/s at 8w showed heart-rate of 179
u/s at 9w showed 2 SCH's, h/r of 197
u/s at 10w showed h/r of 175
u/s at 11w showed h/r of 180
u/s at 12 w showed h/r of 188
12w2d...m/c'd baby at home, lost too much blood, had to have emergency D&C...severely anemic....baby was a chromosomally normal boy
-developed a blood clot in leg 1 1/2 wks post D&C...saw a hematologist and had testing done and everything came back normal, will still treat me with Lovenex on next pregnancy

-First cycle since m/c....Gonal F, triggered with 8 mature follies, T/I - BFP!
-13dpo beta 106, progesterone 21.4
-15dpo beta 260, progesterone 12.2
-16dpo beta 411, progesterone 16
-20dpo beta 845, progesterone 19 (went in for u/s to rule out ectopic, couldn't see anything yet, but lining was thick)
-22dpo beta 1158, progesterone 18
-24dpo beta 1655, progesterone 20
-5w?? u/s showed 2 sacs...one measuring 4w0d, the other measuring 5w1d....possibly vanishing twin???
-6w u/s showed TWINS! 2 h/r's....121, 119. both measuring 6w1d! SCH 1cm
-At 7w pg, tested positive for lupus anticoagulant, on lovenox to treat it, TSH was 2.55
-7w2d u/s showed 2 babies measuring 7w4d & 7w3d, h/r's 158 & 153! SCH 2cm
-8w1d u/s showed 2 babies measuring 8w3d & 8w2d, h/r's 185 & 179! SCH 3cm
-10w2d u/s showed we lost baby A measuring 9w1d and had no h/r...baby B measured 10w1d with a h/r of 180...praying for Baby B to hang on, SCH gone, started thyroid med
-11w1d u/s showed Baby B measuring right on track, h/r of 174
-12w1d had a red bleeding episode & u/s showed Baby B measuring 1 day ahead and a h/r of 168, bleeding likely caused by Baby A's passing
-13w1d had some red spotting & u/s showed Baby B measuring 2 days behind and h/r of 157
-14w...baby measured 14w3d...and I suffered a horrible, very sudden miscarriage...another angel baby...that makes 4.
Saw Dr Mary Stephenson at U of Chicago for recurrent pregnancy loss....dx with Lupus Anticoagluant and Incompetent Cervix, will be treated with lovenox
5-25-11 - Had a Transabdominal Cerclage placed by Dr Haney at U of Chicago

Gonal F with Timed Intercourse (self medicated/unmonitored) BFN
Gonal F with Timed Intercourse: 7 follies in play - BFP at 10dpo!!!
12dpo hcg level 80.5, progesterone 16.8
14dpo hcg level 295, progesterone 18
6w3d u/s showed 1 baby with a h/r of 120, measuring 6w4d
7w3d u/s showed baby with h/r of 160, measuring 7w3d
7w5d u/s showed a possibility of TWINS! Baby A (the original) measured 8w, h/r 167...Baby B, hiding in the upper uterus measured 6w6d, h/r 176...time will tell if Baby B will make it
TTC: Since Nov. 2006
Diagnosis: Ovarian Dysfunction & PCOS
26 Years Old
cd3 FSH 16.8
cd10 FSH 13.6
7 Unmonitored Cycles of Clomid
3 Unmonitored Cycles of Letrozole
Positive CCCT
TAB for cysts
1st Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed BDing - 5 mature follies - BFN
TAB for cysts
2nd Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 4 mature follies in play - BFN
3rd Cycle of 150 iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 2 follies - BFN
1st Cycle of Gonal F - 1 follie & cyst on right - BFN
TAB for a cycle
2nd Cycle of Gonal F = BFP!!!!!
11dpo Beta=27.9
14dpo Beta=120
16dpo Beta=210
18dpo Beta=429
21dpo Beta=1064
5w6d - baby measuring 3mm, h/b 101
6w6d - baby measuring 6mm, h/b 126
7w6d - baby 18mm, h/b 171, measuring ahead at 8w2d! RE noticed enlarged yolk sac so keeping a close eye on that
8w6d - baby 2.52cm with h/b of 174
9w5d - baby 3.22cm with h/b of 180 measuring 10w1d
10w6d - baby 4.34cmcm with h/b of 174 measuring 11w1d
12w u/s showed baby at 11.2cm with h/b of 162 - unfortunately, that evening I suffered a horrible m/c of a chromosomally NORMAL girl.... RIP my angel girl...you were loved....

First cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse since m/c - BFN
2nd Cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse - BFN
TAB for a month on bcp's
3rd Cycle of Gonal F - BFP
-11dpo beta=14.9
-14dpo beta=45.7
-16dpo beta=140
-18dpo beta=366
u/s at 6w1d showed heart-rate of 114!!!!
u/s at 7w1d showed heart-rate of 141!!!!
u/s at 8w showed heart-rate of 179
u/s at 9w showed 2 SCH's, h/r of 197
u/s at 10w showed h/r of 175
u/s at 11w showed h/r of 180
u/s at 12 w showed h/r of 188
12w2d...m/c'd baby at home, lost too much blood, had to have emergency D&C...severely anemic....baby was a chromosomally normal boy
-developed a blood clot in leg 1 1/2 wks post D&C...saw a hematologist and had testing done and everything came back normal, will still treat me with Lovenex on next pregnancy

bigboy
bigboy

October 17th, 2011, 7:32 pm #6

well i feel a lot better now....bc i just talked to my RE downtown (the one that i went to to get pregnant - he is amazing). and he said that the TSH of.019 was a littl baffling but once i told him that my T4 was 1.5 he said that was totally normal. then he said that he wasnt even worried about it and to just have it rechecked next month....didnt even think i needed to go see him. he said things similar to what ekk88 said above - that bc i have twins i have higher levels of hcg and nausea and that contributes to the thyroid being "hyper". he said they are more concerned with those on the "hypo" end and not "hyper" especially if the T4 is normal. i feel so much better. i dont know what i would do without him. it would have been really nice for the nurse(but no one expects mountains to be moved here) or my doctor to tell me these things. instead of just getting the information wrong and acting blase about it.
he's not an MFM or RE is an OB that has experience with women coming from IF and multiples. they send you to an MFM at 20 weeks (for some earlier). and they deliver at a really good hospital that has a good NiCu. im not in love with this doctor though...and ill be glad when i start rotating through the practice, (there are 5).

October 17th, 2011, 7:34 pm #7

..also the reason im so anal about getting it checked is bc hypoactive thyroid runs heavily in my family - grandma, mom and sister- not hyperactive though, so i wasnt expecting that.
http://thyroid.about.com/od/hormonepreg ... emesis.htm

I think it gives a good explanation. I found another one that called the condition a "sheep in wolf's clothing", implying it looks scarier than it really is.

I've been surprised myself at what docs and nurses don't know about things.

bigboy
bigboy

October 17th, 2011, 8:29 pm #8

thanks!