Formula

Formula

November 12th, 2011, 7:57 pm #1

For those of you who did not breast feed or wound up supplementing, what brand did you use? I know the hospital probably sends you home with one particular brand. I just started to look at pricing for when the bean does arrive. I wanted to be prepared to stock up at certain stores when I know the pricing is right. I looked at 3 brands, Enfamil, similac and Gerber good start. From what I read and have heard on boards, Enfamil and similac are pretty much the same thing. B/w those 2 and Gerber, the key difference is lactose was the first ingredient in Enfamil/Similac but Gerber's was a whey protein.
So many freaking decisions! ahghhg

November 12th, 2011, 8:06 pm #2

Enfamil Enfacare because the ped gave us samples! Similac Neosure was used in our NICU. Its like Follistim and Gonal-F, diffeent drug but same result. Then moved on to Gentlease when they were old enough to get off the preemie formula.

We use Target's Up and Up Sensitive now because it really is the same darn thing as Enfamil Gentlease. We save TONS of money as my babies go through a gallon of formula a day. Im not sure what we would have done with a singleton, but I can tell you our ped said the generics are fine too.

It will be trial and error because your LO may not tolerate one or the other. We went to Gentlease and then the Up & Up gentle because one of the girls had horrible gas and constipation with the normal formulas.

bigboy
bigboy

November 12th, 2011, 9:00 pm #3

For those of you who did not breast feed or wound up supplementing, what brand did you use? I know the hospital probably sends you home with one particular brand. I just started to look at pricing for when the bean does arrive. I wanted to be prepared to stock up at certain stores when I know the pricing is right. I looked at 3 brands, Enfamil, similac and Gerber good start. From what I read and have heard on boards, Enfamil and similac are pretty much the same thing. B/w those 2 and Gerber, the key difference is lactose was the first ingredient in Enfamil/Similac but Gerber's was a whey protein.
i had to stop breastfeeding at 4.5 months bc my son developed a milk protein intolerance....because of that, the only formula we could use was the Simulac Alimentum. it was REALLY expensive but we had no other choice. my son thrived on it though. we switched from it around 10 months and just used regular Simulac. worked fine. my pedi didnt really recommend one over the other in general...

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

November 13th, 2011, 2:51 am #4

did have to supplement a little bit during the first week while my milk supply established itself. I supplemented with what the hospital gave me which was Similac Advanced Shield. They gave me the pre-mixed newborn bottles. I took home enough stock that I never had to buy any.

I wouldn't recommend stocking up too much ahead of time until you know that your baby will tolerate the particular brand you've selected. Much like bottles, formula can be tricky and it'll be trial and error.

One other thing, I don't know if it was just me but I got plenty of FREE powder formula in the mail! I must have signed up for something somewhere I guess or my name was sold off a list because both Similac and Enfamil found me! Similac sent me a container of Advanced Shield powder and also Sensitive Tummy. Enfamil sent me 2 containers of Newborn. I've yet to use them but have held on to them in case of an emergency. But I'll probably end up donating them to local food bank.

Whitney
Whitney

November 13th, 2011, 3:23 am #5

If I would have not breastfeed and didnt have to supplement with Similac NeoSure I would have used Gerber Good Start Gentle formula. Thats if my twins would have tolerated it. It is 100% whey proteins that are broken down to be easy to digest. So what that means is it helps with spit-up, fussiness and gas due to whole protein intolerance, but is still milk based. I would stock up, but be careful if you buy Similac or Enfamil and would need to return it because you are changing formulas or have left over. These formulas are WIC items and if you buy from an approved WIC suppler you can not return them or exchange them without a receipt. So make sure you keep your receipt. Good luck with your decision.

PhoebeMass
PhoebeMass

November 13th, 2011, 4:15 am #6

Sorry, only have a quick second. I did a ton of research into this with our DD. All formulas have exact same make up as mandated by federal law. There are only 2 producers of formula outside of the very boutique brands...which still have to have same 'formula'. A Gentle Ease type is formulated a smidge differently for gas issues but, again, the same basic formula. All else is marketing and playing on brand name guilt. I started with Similac because we had tons and tons of samples given by ob/gyn office then shifted to Target brand. Had we had gas issues I would have stayed with Similac gentle ease. Bottom line. Don't feel like you must go brand name unless you want to. All formulas are essentially the same due to strict regulations.

November 13th, 2011, 2:42 pm #7

Hi ladies, thanks for all the info. Sometimes my posts are not so eloquant in what I am trying to get across. I haven't decided what formula or even diapers I will use until the bean gets here. But the consumer/shopper in me is doing a little recon work before he gets here. For my on sanity, I want to know who has the best prices pre coupon for both diapers and formula. For instance whether there is a big difference b/w the supermarket, Walmart, CVS' and bulk stores. I always see the deals in the paper and b/w all the size packages it can be hard to distinguish if your truly getting a good deal or not.

As for formula, these marketers really do a number on us thru the years. I can totally see myself falling in to the name brand trap.

Alli
Alli

November 13th, 2011, 3:29 pm #8

For diapers, wipes, and diaper genie refills. Cheapest and depending on what state you live in, tax free. Name brand formula is cheapest at Walmart, Costco, and Sams. Target and Walmart have their own generics you can only buy there- Target is Up and Up, Walmart is Parents Choice. Stay away from a CVS or Walgreens. At least a few dollars more. A lot of mutiples moms I know get formula off of eBay. Caveat emptor of course!

bigboy
bigboy

November 13th, 2011, 4:25 pm #9

Hi ladies, thanks for all the info. Sometimes my posts are not so eloquant in what I am trying to get across. I haven't decided what formula or even diapers I will use until the bean gets here. But the consumer/shopper in me is doing a little recon work before he gets here. For my on sanity, I want to know who has the best prices pre coupon for both diapers and formula. For instance whether there is a big difference b/w the supermarket, Walmart, CVS' and bulk stores. I always see the deals in the paper and b/w all the size packages it can be hard to distinguish if your truly getting a good deal or not.

As for formula, these marketers really do a number on us thru the years. I can totally see myself falling in to the name brand trap.
i got the pampers newborn sensitive....i had heard from several people that those were the best for new babies. i had good luck with pampers. at around age 1, i switched to the target brand diapers and i have to say, they are so much cheaper and for us, the work great.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

November 13th, 2011, 5:54 pm #10

they offer free 1-2 day shipping on orders over $49. Where I'm at my order gets here next day. So convenient to be able to order from comfort of home and get it delivered to my doorstep. They have great pricing and I save on hassle of dealing with going into a store. They also have sister sites wag.com for pets and soap.com for household stuff. You can combine your orders across all 3.

They are also part of Continental/United Mileage Plus Shopping so you can earn miles too.

https://www.mileageplusshopping.com/Bab ... _28___.htm