? for Mom's: When did you add cereal to bm or formula?

? for Mom's: When did you add cereal to bm or formula?

ALM
ALM

June 17th, 2012, 9:32 pm #1

Hi Ladies,

I've been SO crazy busy that I haven't had time to post, but I've got a question:

When did you add cereal to your baby's formula or breast milk? My 3 month old just drank 9 oz of formula and within 10 minutes was sucking on his hands again and getting fussy like he's hungry.

He's just past 3 months, and I'm trying to wait as long as possible before adding in the rice cereal. He's drinking formula b/c my milk production was so low I had to give up the b'fing project.

I know that ideally it's 6 months, but my SIL just said she did it at 3, and my sis did it at 4, and others have chimed in to say they did it sooner and that it's better than giving the baby more milk than his stomach can handle and having him get a tummy ache and/or spit up too much.

Anyone ever heard of boiling rice and then discarding it but using the water to make infant formula?

Thanks in advance for your wise input Ladies. HAPPY DAD'S DAY

Laura
Laura

June 17th, 2012, 11:10 pm #2

3 mo sounds a bit early to need solids. Your LO is probably going through a growth spurt. It's ok to feed whenever they're hungry. I've never heard of using rice milk to mix the formula; it's pure starch so I would thnk it would make your LO really gassy. Maybe add an extra scoop of formula to the bottle if you can't seem to fill 'er up enough.

JulesM
JulesM

June 18th, 2012, 12:56 am #3

Hi Ladies,

I've been SO crazy busy that I haven't had time to post, but I've got a question:

When did you add cereal to your baby's formula or breast milk? My 3 month old just drank 9 oz of formula and within 10 minutes was sucking on his hands again and getting fussy like he's hungry.

He's just past 3 months, and I'm trying to wait as long as possible before adding in the rice cereal. He's drinking formula b/c my milk production was so low I had to give up the b'fing project.

I know that ideally it's 6 months, but my SIL just said she did it at 3, and my sis did it at 4, and others have chimed in to say they did it sooner and that it's better than giving the baby more milk than his stomach can handle and having him get a tummy ache and/or spit up too much.

Anyone ever heard of boiling rice and then discarding it but using the water to make infant formula?

I am waiting until 6 months to start solids but my pedi said it was fine to start cereal at 4 months. I have several friends who started at 4 months but usually more to get them use to solids than to actual feed them/replace as a meal. I never heard of adding rice water to formula. Sorry, I'm not too much of help

MargieD
MargieD

June 18th, 2012, 1:40 am #4

Hi Ladies,

I can't remember exactly when I started DD on cereal, but about 4 months sounds about right. BUT... my DD was wearing 12 mos clothes at 4 months - so she was off the charts in height / weight (and was going through one growth spurt after another!).

I started off with watered down cereal - to make sure that she could eat/drink it. In fact - she didn't take it well the first time so I held off and tried again later.

Take your cues from your son... he will tell you if he's ready for cereal.

BTW - when I was complaining how much DD was eating and all that in the beginning, my dad would tell me that I was the same way as a baby. In fact, he was telling me that they put cereal in a bottle and fed me that. They kept saying that my ped kept telling them to do that because I was "starving." I wasn't brave enough to do that with DD - because I'd heard horror stories about babies not being able to eat cereal from a bottle - so I spoonfed watered down cereal to DD until I knew she could swallow.

Hmmm... is it possible he could be teething? Maybe give him a teething object and see how he responds to that?

June 18th, 2012, 2:41 am #5

Hi Ladies,

there is something about 3s and growth spurts.

3mos, 6mos, 9mos, 12mos etc. It's eerie LOL

I'd hold off on solids until he's showing real signs of wanting your food. Like watching with rapt attention as you eat--maybe even drooling as my DS did. and trying to reach for it.

I think it's ok to give him a bit more formula if you feel he's still hungry but if he's chewing on his hand and not crying for more food, it could be his teeth (they start teething months before the teeth are visible under the gums, that's what all that drool is about)

Try playing with him, doing the tummy time, distracting him and if he fusses for more food then you know you covered the basics and go ahead and give him more.
But adding solids before his system is ready can cause trouble sometimes. Google, I forget the fine details now but it can have effects that don't seem related but it's been suggested that early food intro can cause the body's immune system to react in odd ways (really, I can't remember, it's been too long)

These growth spurts cause so much worry and insecurities. As a nursing mom, it causes the mom to suspect a decrease in supply--which in a way it is but only because baby now needs a bit more so will nurse every hour until production is up. So for a formula fed baby, it makes sense that sometimes they'll ask for more when they just had some; just as a nursing babe would.
I know with formula there are guide lines but if you feel he wants more, make up a half bottle, make sure he's sitting up so he controls the flow and let him at it. He can self regulate better than an adult can (oh, how I wish I could self regulate where sugar is concerned. lol) as long as he's not reclined while he drinks because then he can't control the flow, it just pours into him.

sorry the bf didn't work out for you. It can be very hard and so many things go against you. I know all too well. Formula is a wonderful tool.

keep us posted and you can also ask this on the playgroup bb

for the record: my DS started solids at 5&1/2mos, after I took a babyfood making class (for the diversion, really, but I ended up learning a bunch about textures and when to increase them etc)--during the class, he was trying to grab my spoon as I was tasting the samples the teacher was making. It was funny and the teacher used him as a "when baby is ready signs". lol. I was waiting for exactly 6mos.
For DD, she was 5mos. She was so ready, at the second or third day, she stopped spitting the food out and stopped drooling too because she learned how to swallow! and now she's the pickiest 4yo, making me go grey prematurely. lol

I wish I'd had a couple of babies before my babies came so that I could know everything and be more relaxed by the time they came. LOL does that make sense??? I sound nuts. I just wish I knew back then that "my best" was good enough instead of figuring it out in hindsight.

Juliemam

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 18th, 2012, 5:06 pm #6

Hi Ladies,

and used water to tide them over.

June 18th, 2012, 8:38 pm #7

Hi Ladies,

Our DD wasn't until 5+ mos and I did a "white out" as long as possible - just started with veggies/fruit. I didn't want her first food to be a refined carb. And then it only lasted 3 months or so, more for the texture than anything else. That said, if you go with a veggie or fruit I would wait a little longer since their tummies are so little!

ALM
ALM

June 19th, 2012, 1:03 am #8

Hi Ladies,

I've increased his bottle to 8 oz of formula. He's 3 months, 1 week, so I am going to do my best to hold out to at least 4 months.....I gave him a teething toy am attempting to scarf down so food, but he keeps dropping it and getting pissed off! My little man really knows how to let me know his likes and dislikes . He is my love!