Food

Food

June 28th, 2011, 11:02 pm #1

I am still very early in to being pregant, a little past seven weeks. I have noticed strong reactions to not wanting meat like grilled chicken when I would usually love to have this for lunch. I am being drawn to carbs big time. I am a lunch bringer too. It is hard to come up with healthier lunches knowing no sandwhich meats.

What if anything are you adverse to and what are you putting in its place?

Rebekah
Rebekah

June 29th, 2011, 1:55 am #2

Newbie - I struggled with food aversions hugely for the first 12 weeks. I woke up one day and all aversions were gone. Since I could not be in the same room as cooked eggs I just avoided all locations of it. I had a strong reaction to a local grocery store and still - 3 yrs later cannot walk in there (LOL). So for 12 weeks I basically ate:
cool ranch doritos
green grapes
clementines
At least the grapes and oranges were healthy! There was a theory to the chips though. I started to be able to eat other things if I ate them first - so maybe give that a try. I was also able to eat 1/2 peanut butter sandwich if I just swallowed small pieces whole. Good luck and try the chips as an appetizer!

sch1star
sch1star

June 29th, 2011, 1:55 am #3

I am still very early in to being pregant, a little past seven weeks. I have noticed strong reactions to not wanting meat like grilled chicken when I would usually love to have this for lunch. I am being drawn to carbs big time. I am a lunch bringer too. It is hard to come up with healthier lunches knowing no sandwhich meats.

Congratulations

I really haven't wanted to be anywhere near meat proteins either, although the aversions have become somewhat milder recently. I have tried to stick with the general idea of eating sensibly, while not following a hardcore diet - i.e., if I wanted carbs, I'd have some. I really haven't been too hungry so far so overdoing portion hasn't been an issue yet.

Some substitutions that worked for me were hummus and low fat wheat thins, peanut butter (the return of Wonder Bread to my life - and re-engineered to "smart bread"! - lol), and egg. Egg salad sandwiches, omelets (harder to pack for lunch I know), maybe a chef salad minus meat? To indulge your carb cravings, you could make pasta salads with lots of seasonal veggies.

June 29th, 2011, 1:08 pm #4

Just not every day and if they are heated up, even better.

All within moderation.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 29th, 2011, 2:11 pm #5

tuna/fish is the stuff you can eat in moderation because it's the cumulative effect of mercury that is a concern.

however, the concern with deli meats is the listeria possibility and that has nothing to do with cumulative levels. A cold ham sandwich may be fine today but 2 days later another ham sandwich could be tainted.

it's for this reason that you're asked to heat the deli meats.

that said, yes if you do want to eat cold deli meats the less you eat the stuff the better. I still "cave" every once in a while for a pepperoni & provolone Blimpie.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 29th, 2011, 2:17 pm #6

Congratulations

I really haven't wanted to be anywhere near meat proteins either, although the aversions have become somewhat milder recently. I have tried to stick with the general idea of eating sensibly, while not following a hardcore diet - i.e., if I wanted carbs, I'd have some. I really haven't been too hungry so far so overdoing portion hasn't been an issue yet.

Some substitutions that worked for me were hummus and low fat wheat thins, peanut butter (the return of Wonder Bread to my life - and re-engineered to "smart bread"! - lol), and egg. Egg salad sandwiches, omelets (harder to pack for lunch I know), maybe a chef salad minus meat? To indulge your carb cravings, you could make pasta salads with lots of seasonal veggies.
hummus with crackers is a great snack!! Also been doing wheat toast with peanut butter and a bit of organic strawberry jelly. And egg salad sandwiches are good choice too; just started doing that a couple of weeks ago.

I also discovered that the cereal I LOVE works great as a dry snack too. I eat Kashi GO LEAN (not the crunch version). It's loaded with protein.

also fruit smoothies made with frozen berries and low fat yogurt and coconut milk.

btw, Chipotle makes great vegetarian options.

June 29th, 2011, 5:08 pm #7

On this pregnancy, not with my first.

And it went away at 9-10 weeks thankfully!

I was eating a LOT of beans, for some reason that's all I wanted to eat and it was good because its a good source of protein.

Lots of lentils, split pea, black beans, etc.

You can try to make a salad and put cheese, and bacon? gross :p and boiled eggs.

Also Pasta, I could eat pasta every day and it was easier for me to eat ground turkey on pasta sauce than anything else.

08/01/2007 TTC#1
09/26/2007 BFP
12/08/2007 m/c at 10 1/2 weeks (D&C)
1/18/2008 TTC#1 again
2/20/2008 BFP
10/22/2008 DS #1 - Sebastian is born
11/2009 TTC#2
04/2010 Referred to RE
05/2010 Fermara cycle #1
06/2010 BFP - chemical pregnancy
06/2010 CD3 - FSH 20.7 (First time I've heard of FSH)
06/2010 Fermara cycle #2
07/06/2010 AMH results in 0.10
07/12/2010 BFP - Chemical Pregnancy #2
02/13/2011 TTC with Dr. Milki in CA.
03/11/2011 BFN
03/12/2011 Decided to not cycle or TTC anymore.
04/26/2011 Missed my period by 4 days, tested and got a BFP
05/15/2011 6w4d - Saw baby and heartbeat
05/23/2011 7w5d - Baby is doing great
06/28/2011 13w1d - Baby is growing like weed, almost out of the first trimester!