Flunked my 1-hour GD test

Flunked my 1-hour GD test

smrc
smrc

August 24th, 2012, 2:43 pm #1

just found out yesterday morning that I didn't pass the 1-hour gestational diabetes test I did last Thurs (was a bit annoyed it took so long to get the results). The cut-off at my OB's is 130 and I was at 133, so it seems like I just missed it. I found lots of helpful info from SaraH's experience on herea, although I'm still a bit confused about diet improvements I could do now, and whether I should be upping my walking/exercising. For the first time in this PG, I have felt lousy this week - nausea, headaches, hot, and can't tell if this is GD-related or not. Hope not . Thanks for letting me post/vent. SMRC

Teresa
Teresa

August 24th, 2012, 2:59 pm #2

Hi SMRC-

Admittedly, I don't know too much about this topic yet but I remember SaraH's post and some people had some good tips/information. You were SOOO close to passing, will you be taking the 3 hour test next? A friend of mine failed her first one but passed the 2nd, so I hope the same for you.

Also, maybe your Dr or MFM nurse could give you the GD diet plan? I asked for one at 12 weeks when I was "lectured" about GD due to my age and was given the guideline for the diet. I found it helpful to have it because I was going a little crazy with my sugar cravings and wanted to see the plan and how it worked. I try to follow it now and it's really not too bad.

I don't blame you for being upset, noone wants this news. Hoping the 3 hour will be better results. Hugs.

August 24th, 2012, 4:03 pm #3

just found out yesterday morning that I didn't pass the 1-hour gestational diabetes test I did last Thurs (was a bit annoyed it took so long to get the results). The cut-off at my OB's is 130 and I was at 133, so it seems like I just missed it. I found lots of helpful info from SaraH's experience on herea, although I'm still a bit confused about diet improvements I could do now, and whether I should be upping my walking/exercising. For the first time in this PG, I have felt lousy this week - nausea, headaches, hot, and can't tell if this is GD-related or not. Hope not . Thanks for letting me post/vent. SMRC
I got about the same score then passed the 3 hour (nt)
Me- 30
Day 3- FSH 10.4, E2 42; Day 10- 16.6; Possible endo, slight anti sperm antibodies
DH- 30, low Morph
TTC 23 Cycles
2 Cycles on Clomid- BFN
3 Cycles on Femara & IUI- BFN
Now- Natural plus antioxidants, Acu/Herbs till IVF when we're ready emotionally

August 24th, 2012, 6:40 pm #4

I just failed my one hour glucose test last week and then much to my surprise I ended up failing the 3 hour test as well! I did not have any problems with my ds who is 2.

Most people who fail the one hour go on to pass the 3 hour so I am sure you will be fine. The three hour test was not as bad as I was expecting so don't worry too much about that.

Good luck to you and I hope everything turns out well!

Wells42
Wells42

August 24th, 2012, 7:52 pm #5

Gestational diabetes and the accompanying testing is so pesky! WIth DS I barely failed the 1 hour and then barely passed the 3 hour (whew!). With DD, I barely failed the 1 hour and then barely failed the 3 hour (rats!). I bet you pass the 3 hour (and like Tami said, it's not so bad - bring a book or something because it is kinda boring), but if you don't, you are so close to the cut-off that even if you fail, I suspect it will be really easy to control with diet and exercise. Good luck! And fear not - as far as pregnancy complications go, well-managed GD poses extremely little risk to the baby. You'll be fine

mel
mel

August 24th, 2012, 9:39 pm #6

Well, not that this helps any, but most people who don't pass the 1-hour, do go on to pass the 3-hour. I would think the fact that you just barely didn't pass should bode well for you going into the 3-hour.

Good luck!!!

Laura
Laura

August 24th, 2012, 11:16 pm #7

You could try to limit carb intake a few days before the next one, but the flip side is, if you do have GD you would want to know. I think what the pp said about it being manageable was good, so hopefully there's not too much to worry about.

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

August 25th, 2012, 4:40 am #8

it is just so hard to have another road block! but you can manage this one, hopefully without too much difficulty. i'm betting you pass the 3 hour test and can have your cake and eat it, too
good luck!

Sara H
Sara H

August 25th, 2012, 3:14 pm #9

Don't have much time but:

In MY opinion:

There is stuff online about how to "pass" your three hour. UNLESS those are changes you want to make for every day of the rest of your pregnancy DON'T DO THEM. It's so important to know if you have GD or not, swing the test could be very bad for you! AND: they have changed the standards so if you fail don't get too worried, it's harder to pass now.

I bet, as so many have said, you'll sail though but in case you don't, or are worried, here's some good things to thing of!

I was the same way, thinking I had a really good diet, good foods, what could I fix? Well, it was about leveling carbs. I am very slim (well, not today! but in general!) and could not see where I could do fixes but it was all about lowering carbs and being very stead with them. I could eat one tortilla as a starch but two pieces of bread at one time was too much. I had to cut out fresh fruit except a bit with other foods. i could eat as much veg as I liked, my morning cereal, which was healthy, was way too big but fine if I had 1/2 of it and cottage cheese... You CAN have little treats, just spread them out!

So, DON'T worry, you will probably sail though, but if not I have a 100 tips I will happily share if you want them!

Most important is that they FIND OUT if you have it or not! You can save yourself and your baby a lifetime of issues by being super on top of it, really controlling your diet and doing all you can but you have to know, so better to find out!

I controlled it all with careful diet and Baby Adric has sailed though his tests and is in the clear, so VERY worth it!

Just my opinion!

hugs and good luck,
Sara H

smrc
smrc

August 27th, 2012, 12:35 am #10

Hi SMRC-

Admittedly, I don't know too much about this topic yet but I remember SaraH's post and some people had some good tips/information. You were SOOO close to passing, will you be taking the 3 hour test next? A friend of mine failed her first one but passed the 2nd, so I hope the same for you.

Also, maybe your Dr or MFM nurse could give you the GD diet plan? I asked for one at 12 weeks when I was "lectured" about GD due to my age and was given the guideline for the diet. I found it helpful to have it because I was going a little crazy with my sugar cravings and wanted to see the plan and how it worked. I try to follow it now and it's really not too bad.

I don't blame you for being upset, noone wants this news. Hoping the 3 hour will be better results. Hugs.
I so appreciated it. I don't have the GD diet and have to admit I find the glucose diet stuff very confusing, but I did lower carbs and sugar over the past few days (not necessarily trying to "skew" my 3-hour test on Tues but thinking it can only help my health, etc..). I will search for the GD diet online and if I can't track it down will get from my OB on Tues.