fever and pregnancy--advice? (child ment)

fever and pregnancy--advice? (child ment)

Katherine
Katherine

August 2nd, 2012, 1:24 am #1

Hi everyone,

Well, my daughter has had a fever for a week now, and it looks like I finally picked it up. We took her to the dr. for the 2nd time today, and she has pneumonia. . . afraid I might have it, too. So I googled fever and pregnancy, and all the results are about a study that recently came out showing that mothers who have a fever during pregnancy are more than twice as likely to have a child with autism or other developmental problems--but that the risk goes back close to normal if the fever is controlled with medication. So--if you get a fever, reach for the Tylenol! Now I'm worried because I felt like hell for about 12 hours before it even occurred to me to take my temperature, and my temp still isn't al the way down, even with the Tylenol.

Any other advice for controlling a fever? I'm heading back to the doctor tomorrow, but as I've said, I'm not always sure I trust them!

Best,
Katherine

ZakiaZ
ZakiaZ

August 2nd, 2012, 2:19 am #2

If (you're pregnant and) you get a fever you should consult with your dr. before reaching for any meds. since it's always a good idea to know the underlying cause of the fever.

I probably know of at least a dozen people who had some type of cold/fever during their pregnancy, including me, both times and I never took anything. I think a lot depends on how high one's temp gets and if it's high enough or going on long enough to take tylenol then my guess is, pg or not, one should always seek medical help first.

Just my 10 pence and also, neither of my boys have been diagnosed with any kind of developmental problems and I had quite a few fevers the second time around since my first was in daycare and always coming home sick and passing on to me, whatever ailed him.

Z.

August 2nd, 2012, 4:12 am #3

Hi everyone,

Well, my daughter has had a fever for a week now, and it looks like I finally picked it up. We took her to the dr. for the 2nd time today, and she has pneumonia. . . afraid I might have it, too. So I googled fever and pregnancy, and all the results are about a study that recently came out showing that mothers who have a fever during pregnancy are more than twice as likely to have a child with autism or other developmental problems--but that the risk goes back close to normal if the fever is controlled with medication. So--if you get a fever, reach for the Tylenol! Now I'm worried because I felt like hell for about 12 hours before it even occurred to me to take my temperature, and my temp still isn't al the way down, even with the Tylenol.

Any other advice for controlling a fever? I'm heading back to the doctor tomorrow, but as I've said, I'm not always sure I trust them!

Best,
Katherine
My doctor told me tylenol is fine during pregnancy. And I wouldn't worry about a fever for twelve hours either. Just talk to your doctor tomorrow and I hope you and DD feel better soon.