Failed my 1 hour GTT

Failed my 1 hour GTT

cbsgirl
cbsgirl

December 1st, 2011, 5:01 pm #1

So, I took my 1 hour on Tue and failed. Ugh! My level was 162 and the cutoff is 139. So, I will take the 3 hour test week after next, since that was the first early appt I could get. Any tips or suggestions for the 3 hour? Any input is appreciated!

tanya
tanya

December 1st, 2011, 5:06 pm #2

Did they give you a prep diet for the 3 hour? They had made do some special diet for 3 days before the actual test.
Unfortunatelyt, I don't have any tips since I failed mine but wishing you the best of luck!

cbsgirl
cbsgirl

December 1st, 2011, 5:37 pm #3

I am out of town and they called this AM to tell me I failed. They are mailing me the script for the 3 hour, so maybe the diet will be included with the script. If not, then I am curious to know what they recommended you do. Sorry you failed yours. Have you been able to manage your levels with diet alone?

Tanya
Tanya

December 1st, 2011, 6:06 pm #4

I have adjusted my diet drastically but it didn't help much so they started me on Gluberide earlier this week. It is too early to tell if it is working yet.

As far as the prep diet, if I recall correctly it was a lot of carbs. If your doctor doesn't prescribe it you may want to ask. It may be something different my doctor does, not sure.

Good luck!

Maru
Maru

December 1st, 2011, 7:35 pm #5

I am out of town and they called this AM to tell me I failed. They are mailing me the script for the 3 hour, so maybe the diet will be included with the script. If not, then I am curious to know what they recommended you do. Sorry you failed yours. Have you been able to manage your levels with diet alone?
Before the test they didn't tell me any diet, only to not eat anything for 12 hours I think before the test.

My doctor does a 3 hour test the first time so that's what I did and passed, but I know many people have failed the 1 hour test and passes the 3 hour one.

Good luck!!!

December 1st, 2011, 8:47 pm #6

So, I took my 1 hour on Tue and failed. Ugh! My level was 162 and the cutoff is 139. So, I will take the 3 hour test week after next, since that was the first early appt I could get. Any tips or suggestions for the 3 hour? Any input is appreciated!
Hopefully you will too!! I didn't change anything.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

December 2nd, 2011, 12:57 am #7

because you will be on a fast. And then made to drink that sugary drink (gross!) and then wait around for 3 hours.

I didn't have to do any special prepping beforehand other than be on a fast. Although I was told (after the fact) that I could have had water.

I got really nauseous and light-headed during my 3 hour test and had to go lay down in one of the exam rooms. Afterwards, with the intense heat outside (it was the height of summer) I felt like I was going to faint.

If you can have someone pick you up that might be a good plan in case you do feel lightheaded afterwards. Bring a snack with you to munch on immediately after the test is done.

(P.S. - I'd sent you an email; not sure if you got )

Alli
Alli

December 2nd, 2011, 2:05 am #8

I actually took a Zofran before because if you vomit, you have to repeat. But keep in mind I'm someone who always needs to eat breakfast or will faint.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

December 2nd, 2011, 2:38 am #9

about the vomiting. They told me the same. So I made sure that I held my cookies! It's probably not a terrible test for the average person (or maybe it is?!), I just think that being PG compounds the side effects. If you're already feeling lightheaded, nauseous, smell or taste averse, etc. due to the PG, this test might only heighten those feelings.

December 2nd, 2011, 4:02 am #10

and passed the 3 hour. I didn't do anything different. Definitely have food ready for when you are done and have someone pick you up if you can. Good luck!

Kelly