Due date is here and no L&D for me yet!!

Due date is here and no L&D for me yet!!

Kristen
Kristen

February 3rd, 2012, 1:46 pm #1

Today is my due date and there is no action at this point.

My EDD was actually moved up early in my pregnancy - my peri moved it up 6 days based on the baby's measurements. Truthfully, the new due date never really worked against my LMP or O date (I know the approx date b/c I used an OPK), but the peri changed anyway. The baby has tracked along on schedule, but I'm beginning to wonder if this date was just wrong. My original OB dd was 2/9 and that is more aligned with OPK date.

So, I'm trying not to be worried about going 'late' and I'm hoping that things happen naturally within the next week b/c they will want to induce me by next Friday (or sooner) if she doesn't go on her own.

I go for my next check on Monday if I don't go into labor before then. They will be running an u/s to check fluid, a NST, and of course another cervix check. Last Monday, I was about 80-90% effaced and 2cm.
Quote
Share

Newbie
Newbie

February 3rd, 2012, 4:22 pm #2

If you hold on till Monday, the good news is the u/s so that will hopefully help with measurement comparisons. The bad news is the tonsil check..booo hiss boo..

My doctor won't even talk to me about induction until at least a week out. She is not giving me a poundage estimate either, I don't know if this is typical.

I hope you go missing and your actually in labor this weekend

My next appointment is on Wednesday.
Quote
Share

MargieD
MargieD

February 3rd, 2012, 6:25 pm #3

I was really hoping to go natural so induction wasn't an option until it was absolutely necessary. We held out as long as we could. All was fine... DD ended up being only 7 1/2 pounds but 21 inches long...
Quote
Share

Laura
Laura

February 3rd, 2012, 7:09 pm #4

Today is my due date and there is no action at this point.

My EDD was actually moved up early in my pregnancy - my peri moved it up 6 days based on the baby's measurements. Truthfully, the new due date never really worked against my LMP or O date (I know the approx date b/c I used an OPK), but the peri changed anyway. The baby has tracked along on schedule, but I'm beginning to wonder if this date was just wrong. My original OB dd was 2/9 and that is more aligned with OPK date.

So, I'm trying not to be worried about going 'late' and I'm hoping that things happen naturally within the next week b/c they will want to induce me by next Friday (or sooner) if she doesn't go on her own.

I go for my next check on Monday if I don't go into labor before then. They will be running an u/s to check fluid, a NST, and of course another cervix check. Last Monday, I was about 80-90% effaced and 2cm.
That seems to early. Especially when you know you ovulated a week later than your baby "measured." It's called an average, people!! Some babies have to be bigger than average!!! geez.

You could always decline the induction next Friday, and if it goes beyond another week (two weeks after your "real" due date), then ask for it again. I have a friend who went into labor the same day she declined her induction and she was soooo happy she did. It was only 10 days after her due date.
Quote
Share

Kristen
Kristen

February 3rd, 2012, 9:12 pm #5

That is my OB's common practice to go one week past the due date, but I am going to remind them about their original estimate and see what they say. I feel a bit more comfortable giving it until next Friday, since I'm reasonably sure I can nail down the ovulation date and it jives with the date of 2/9. But, I'm also 38, so I think that is a consideration in terms of risk. I'm most concerned about the baby's health (of course) and also avoiding a c-secion.
Quote
Share

Kristen
Kristen

February 3rd, 2012, 9:16 pm #6

I was really hoping to go natural so induction wasn't an option until it was absolutely necessary. We held out as long as we could. All was fine... DD ended up being only 7 1/2 pounds but 21 inches long...
I just wonder how much that has to do with it... Also, (if you don't mind me asking) what is your age? I think my OB considers me higher risk b/c I am over 35 (38.5 actually)

Did you end up having your baby naturally? I'm really concerned that if she doesn't come on her own, I may end up having to go in for a C and I really don't want that. My DS came on his DD, but my water broke and labor really didn't start on its own. So, I've been through the induction process despite wanting to go natural. The induction itself had me really stressed and I ended up getting an epidural, which progressed labor and I think saved me from a C-sec then.
Quote
Share

Kristen
Kristen

February 3rd, 2012, 9:22 pm #7

If you hold on till Monday, the good news is the u/s so that will hopefully help with measurement comparisons. The bad news is the tonsil check..booo hiss boo..

My doctor won't even talk to me about induction until at least a week out. She is not giving me a poundage estimate either, I don't know if this is typical.

I hope you go missing and your actually in labor this weekend

My next appointment is on Wednesday.
uggh - another tonsil check! The last one was sooooo bad - I'm dreading the next. Hopefully, she will decide to come this weekend and I won't have to endure that again!

yep, first and foremost, I want to make sure the baby is ok. so, i feel good about having all of the testing done to help with that. Otherwise, I feel I need to remind them about their original estimate and see what they think. I don't want to force this baby out before she is ready.

A friend of mine had a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks and her baby's lungs were still not mature. So, the dating could have been off in her case or her baby could have just developed more slowly... or I'm not sure what else, but it is something I've been thinking about. Her baby was ok, but had to be in the nicu for a while. I want to keep her cooking until she's ready if I can.

good luck with your appt on Wed (if you make it!), otherwise, wishing you a quick and easy delivery before then.
Quote
Share

MargieD
MargieD

February 3rd, 2012, 11:48 pm #8

I just wonder how much that has to do with it... Also, (if you don't mind me asking) what is your age? I think my OB considers me higher risk b/c I am over 35 (38.5 actually)

Did you end up having your baby naturally? I'm really concerned that if she doesn't come on her own, I may end up having to go in for a C and I really don't want that. My DS came on his DD, but my water broke and labor really didn't start on its own. So, I've been through the induction process despite wanting to go natural. The induction itself had me really stressed and I ended up getting an epidural, which progressed labor and I think saved me from a C-sec then.
I was 35, I believe, when I had her. (I get the birthdays messed up....)

Yes, I did have her naturally (if you mean - no C-section). I went in the night before to have the drug thingie inserted inside me. Didn't work. Next day was told to shower and eat breakfast and they started pitocin. Took allllllllllll day. They kept upping my dose. I finally asked for the epidural because I was just worn out from everything. (We tried for two weeks to induce naturally. I had a bubble put in. I even walked 5 miles the day before...) As you know - pitocin isn't fun. They also broke my water. For most women, the epidural slows things down, but for me (and apparently you), it sped things up. After about an hour or two, they "lost" the heartbeat - had to readjust the belt until they realized that she was starting to crown. Started pushing - for maybe 15 minutes - and she was out 15 minutes before midnight. YAY! (And I was very happy about that because if she was born 15 minutes later, she would have been born on our wedding anniversary. Hope to never divorce... but you don't want that on a kid.... hehe...)

My parents said that all three of us kids were late. My mom couldn't remember how late, but l-a-t-e. She wasn't sure but she even thought one of us was a whole month late. Back in those days, they let you come out when you wanted to.... but these days, they induce at 42 weeks or sooner.

I also went with an OB-GYN practice with 3 midwives on staff....so a midwife actually facilitated the delivery process.... (My mom was livid when she found out about this but got over it.) I also had every intention of doing a water birth and was set up to do this... but when it came to right to the end - it couldn't happen. I think the midwives were trying to accommodate my wishes as well as long as the baby and mom (me) were healthy. Of course, once I got on pitocin, I was hooked up to everything and that wasn't fun...

We told the RE that the IVF baby came late and they just could NOT believe it. Said it was unusual.

Maybe you could talk to your OB-GYN?? Find out what his/her views are??




Quote
Share

MargieD
MargieD

February 4th, 2012, 12:25 am #9

Today is my due date and there is no action at this point.

My EDD was actually moved up early in my pregnancy - my peri moved it up 6 days based on the baby's measurements. Truthfully, the new due date never really worked against my LMP or O date (I know the approx date b/c I used an OPK), but the peri changed anyway. The baby has tracked along on schedule, but I'm beginning to wonder if this date was just wrong. My original OB dd was 2/9 and that is more aligned with OPK date.

So, I'm trying not to be worried about going 'late' and I'm hoping that things happen naturally within the next week b/c they will want to induce me by next Friday (or sooner) if she doesn't go on her own.

I go for my next check on Monday if I don't go into labor before then. They will be running an u/s to check fluid, a NST, and of course another cervix check. Last Monday, I was about 80-90% effaced and 2cm.
Her due date was the anniversary of her late term miscarriage.

OB-GYN had no problem inducing her exactly one week before her DD. Healthy baby boy. Went home in two days.

Quote
Share

Kristen
Kristen

February 4th, 2012, 1:55 am #10

That is reassuring - thank you for that!
Quote
Share