do you know anything about vaccines? MMR ?

do you know anything about vaccines? MMR ?

anonymous
anonymous

September 23rd, 2011, 1:46 am #1

trying to get some info on when they should be given, how many months apart.

September 23rd, 2011, 2:26 am #2

I read the vaccine book (dr. sears) while I was pregnant. I am glad I did, it was interesting. My ped worked with me to create my own schedule within terms he was comfortable with. I wish I remembered exactly but here is a rough estimate.

We did not do Hep B in the hospital (signed waiver).

We did Hep B at the peds somewhere around 1 month.

We followed the 2 mos, 4 mos 6 mos schedule for vaccines but got them in 2 separate doses, 4 on one visit 2 on another - a few weeks apart. (remember 3 of them are combined). Avery was born in June and she did not get the flu shot the first year. We relaxed a bit with vaccines. We delayed the chicken pox vaccine the following fall as we did the flu shot first. I think we did the chicken pox in the spring. We did the MMR on schedule and everything else since. I drafted this out with the ped ahead of time and I think their clinic relaxed when they saw I was coming back in when I said I would. In no way would they take Avery on as a patient without them. She gets the thimerasol free flu shot, but so do I since I am allergic.

I'll try to look for my information to give you the exacts tomorrow!

MargieD
MargieD

September 23rd, 2011, 3:31 am #3

I know that there's a lot of controversy revolving vaccines. I decided not to do anything, but follow the ped's recommendations. They usually tell me when I need to come in and so and so.

In my personal experience with research in the educational field (which I believe is true for any other field) - you will always find something that provides evidence for and against (insert something). (My personal favorite right now is that watching SpongeBob causes ADD...but if you actually read the study - it's flawed. Everyone, especially the media, picks apart SpongeBob but not the study which I think is crazy.)

Do your research thoroughly and then find a ped who will work with you.

September 23rd, 2011, 4:17 am #4

For DS#2, I followed Dr. Sears' alternative vaccine schedule. I modified it a bit, after discussions w/ my boys' ped.

I have what I think is a unique experience. DS#1 developed severe epilepsy the day after his 6-mos vaccines. Epilepsy is not his only issue; he has an undiagnosed neurological condition and the epilepsy is a secondary symptom. However, his neuro and other docs agreed that the vaccines (I think they suspected the pertussis vaccine, in particular), was the culprit for unmasking the seizure disorder. So, in fairness, he already had underlying issues--I'm not blaming the vaccines for that--but the seizures sure did complicate his life for six whole years before we found a med combo that helped keep them under control (knock wood).

For DS#2 I was petrified of all vaccines, even though he's a different kiddo w/out underlying neuro issues. But, I still followed the alternate vaccine schedule, just in case. It's my belief (and I'm not trying to convince anyone that it's the "right" decision for their child, it's so personal) that certain children's systems just can't handle the sheer number of vaccines recommended in each visit. I think DS#1 was one of those kids. He was just so fragile.

Anyway, GL with your decisions. DS#2 just had his MMR at his 2-year appt. Imagine my horror when he developed a severe virus a few days later. But, the docs said it was unrelated, and I believe them. Too much time had passed, plus, we all caught it

Hugs,
Meg

bigboy
bigboy

September 23rd, 2011, 1:05 pm #5

your pediatrician should give you the schedule. they should pretty much take care of it for you : )

Dana
Dana

September 24th, 2011, 1:04 am #6

Sane, practical advice.

For us we did one at a time and delayed some and said no to (very few) others altogether. Make them show unwrap the injection in your presence and double check the contents and dosage yourself.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

September 24th, 2011, 7:04 pm #7

I read the vaccine book (dr. sears) while I was pregnant. I am glad I did, it was interesting. My ped worked with me to create my own schedule within terms he was comfortable with. I wish I remembered exactly but here is a rough estimate.

We did not do Hep B in the hospital (signed waiver).

We did Hep B at the peds somewhere around 1 month.

We followed the 2 mos, 4 mos 6 mos schedule for vaccines but got them in 2 separate doses, 4 on one visit 2 on another - a few weeks apart. (remember 3 of them are combined). Avery was born in June and she did not get the flu shot the first year. We relaxed a bit with vaccines. We delayed the chicken pox vaccine the following fall as we did the flu shot first. I think we did the chicken pox in the spring. We did the MMR on schedule and everything else since. I drafted this out with the ped ahead of time and I think their clinic relaxed when they saw I was coming back in when I said I would. In no way would they take Avery on as a patient without them. She gets the thimerasol free flu shot, but so do I since I am allergic.

I'll try to look for my information to give you the exacts tomorrow!
Our pediatrician does not "allow" it done in hospital. He does in-office at 4 week check-up. This is the first of the vaccibes. Next set of vaccines is at 2 month visit.

Kristen
Kristen

September 24th, 2011, 7:14 pm #8

Which is what is recommended by the AAP. I'm pretty sure the MMR was done at DS's 12 month visit and its now a single shot (they don't split it up anymore). I think there are follow up booster shots, but I'm not sure at what years they are given, but the ped can give you the recommended schedule. I was really worried about the MMR, especially since they won't split that one up anymore, but at the end of the day... what do you do?

My ped seemed to split up the 12 mo vaccines a bit more than what I've heard. DS only had a few shots at the 12 mo, then went back for 15 and 18 month. So, I was relieved for that. I think at the 12 month he only had the MMR and maybe 2 others.

I was considering using an alternative schedule, but then had been reading that the much of the controversy stirred up by the MMR and other vaccines were based on studies that were considered flawed.

Just my 2 cents...

Kristen

Maru
Maru

September 26th, 2011, 8:01 pm #9

And I have a healthy almost 3 year old boy at home.

I'm against people that don't vaccinate their kids, if you want to delay some of them make sure you understand very well what you're doing and for how long it'd be safe to do it.

It scares me all the people here in CA that haven't vaccinated their kids and they are gong to the same school where my son goes, these illnesses are serious and people don't take this the right way, and they don't inform themselves correctly when they make these decisions.

Maru
Maru

September 27th, 2011, 5:16 pm #10

This is what happens to a mommy with two dogs and one son :p