Did you use a crib bumper?

Did you use a crib bumper?

Teresa
Teresa

September 1st, 2012, 1:05 pm #1

I keep reading about SIDS and they say not to use a baby bumper in the babys crib.

Did you use a baby bumper in your LO's crib?

Laura
Laura

September 1st, 2012, 2:14 pm #2

The risk is that if your LO learns to roll over the first time at night, they could roll into the bumper and get stuck, and then suffocate. The AAP has been trying to get them outlawed for a long time, but has been unsuccessful. Once DS could crawl, he started flipping over and sleeping on his stomach anyway (he's 2.5 and still does), so we put the bumper on bc he liked pushing the top of his head up against the corner.

There are "breathable" bumpers now, but my friend who is an ER doc says she's seen babies come in who even had those and got tangled in them while rolling around and still thinks they're unsafe. She says that cribs now are made with the slats close enough together that bumpers are unnecessary.

Teresa
Teresa

September 1st, 2012, 2:46 pm #3

Scary!

ANC
ANC

September 1st, 2012, 3:57 pm #4

I keep reading about SIDS and they say not to use a baby bumper in the babys crib.

I did not use a bumper w dd-I am the ultimate in Paranoid Pam (esp since she was my first!).

I looked at going w/o the bumper as an excuse to buy extra sheets, curtains and basically any other cute decor I wanted, to make up for the lack of bumper.

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

September 1st, 2012, 4:00 pm #5

we never used a bumper and never had any sense that we were missing out by not having it. we won't use one for #2 either.

and teresa, i meant to chime in when you were inquiring about cribs. i don't mean to scare you, but perhaps more important than the crib is the mattress itself. when we bought the mattress for our hand-me-down crib for DS, i happened to be googling a lot about SIDS. there is a theory that SIDS is caused by the chemicals and flame retardants in crib mattresses. its pretty scary. i think the studies come from new zealand. there, they now wrap crib mattresses in a plastic cover and have greatly reduced SIDS. apparently the risk is much greater with hand-me-down mattresses as there is a chemical reaction between the moisture from use and the chemicals that creates further toxicity and some kind of fungus if i'm remembering correctly. i'm a crunchy mamma anyway, so we opted to get an organic mattress, which bypasses the issue of the gnarly chemicals. but the plastic cover is a cheap and easy solution, which is why they were able to so easily and widely implement it in NZ.

i hope you are feeling better and all is well

September 1st, 2012, 4:29 pm #6

Once DS started rolling he managed twice to get a leg stuck in the slats. I got the breathable bumpers and have used them since then without any problems.

teresa
teresa

September 1st, 2012, 5:20 pm #7

we never used a bumper and never had any sense that we were missing out by not having it. we won't use one for #2 either.

and teresa, i meant to chime in when you were inquiring about cribs. i don't mean to scare you, but perhaps more important than the crib is the mattress itself. when we bought the mattress for our hand-me-down crib for DS, i happened to be googling a lot about SIDS. there is a theory that SIDS is caused by the chemicals and flame retardants in crib mattresses. its pretty scary. i think the studies come from new zealand. there, they now wrap crib mattresses in a plastic cover and have greatly reduced SIDS. apparently the risk is much greater with hand-me-down mattresses as there is a chemical reaction between the moisture from use and the chemicals that creates further toxicity and some kind of fungus if i'm remembering correctly. i'm a crunchy mamma anyway, so we opted to get an organic mattress, which bypasses the issue of the gnarly chemicals. but the plastic cover is a cheap and easy solution, which is why they were able to so easily and widely implement it in NZ.

i hope you are feeling better and all is well
i'll remember that when we purchase a mattress!!! (to date, we still haven't decided on a crib yet!)

wow, there is soooooo much to remember and consider when buying baby gear, my gosh!

i am super paranoid also. (big shock here...i know!)

thank you for sharing this information!!!

xoxoxo

Alli
Alli

September 2nd, 2012, 2:39 am #8

Used for all 3 of my kids (nt)

Rebekah
Rebekah

September 2nd, 2012, 2:43 am #9

We did not. I used only a fitted sheet - bought a few on a Candian site Koola something. Very soft organic cotton. We swaddled and used a Halo sleep sack for almost 6 months. We never needed to bring in bumpers, we never used side rails on a bed either. I guess DD doesn't move a lot in sleep. A hoarder yes, a mover no.

Teresa
Teresa

September 2nd, 2012, 12:16 pm #10

Glad you mentioned the Halo sleep sacks...I have some friends who said they swore by them, so I purchased so far one in cotton.

Maybe you could tell me, is one brand better than another?

Also, I see they come in fleece as well...would the baby get too hot in fleece vs cotton? We keep our home comfortable with the heat in winter and I wouldnt want her to overheat over night in the fleece, or should I also buy a few in fleece?

I also read something about the miracle blanket being really effective to get LO to sleep..have you ever used one of these?

Thanks for weighing in on this. I am so grateful for the help here...I dont get this level of help in real life. You're all my lifesavers!!

XOXOXO