did anyone not take prenatals?

did anyone not take prenatals?

anon5
anon5

March 21st, 2011, 10:50 pm #1

hi,

i saw my family doctor today, and he was quite surprised i wasn't taking prenatals. but i was so sick with throwing up until around now (11 weeks or so), that vitamins just came back up. instead, i had flintstone vitamins (with folate - but a small amount and not as much as regular prenatals), usually one a day for the first 2-3 weeks or so of my pregnancy. but i didn't eat much at all - threw up lots. some days just had soup.
and i didn't take prenatal vitamins before the pregnancy either.

i'm really worried now. my nuchal is next week. has anyone else not taken prenatals?

thanks!

March 22nd, 2011, 12:58 am #2

with my dd's. I was also too sick....couldn't even do the flintstone vita either. They are both fine.

I am predicting a girl for you!!

Best,
Lindy

anon5
anon5

March 22nd, 2011, 4:46 am #3

thanks lindy - did you take prenatals conceiving?
i didn't do that either, but did take the flintstones everyday. i had giardia (a parasite) right up until conceiving, so any vitamins would just wreck havoc with my stomach.

i hope it's a girl too. already have a name picked out if it is!!

Shipin
Shipin

March 22nd, 2011, 5:06 am #4

hi,

i saw my family doctor today, and he was quite surprised i wasn't taking prenatals. but i was so sick with throwing up until around now (11 weeks or so), that vitamins just came back up. instead, i had flintstone vitamins (with folate - but a small amount and not as much as regular prenatals), usually one a day for the first 2-3 weeks or so of my pregnancy. but i didn't eat much at all - threw up lots. some days just had soup.

i'm really worried now. my nuchal is next week. has anyone else not taken prenatals?

thanks!
that there r so many women who conceive in an unplanned manner who don't take prenatal and some cannot afford to take it later too. Not a justified argument but I think instead of worrying about what u couldn't take initially you might want to get your b/w done to check for any deficiencies and start taking vitamins accordingly.

ZakiaZ
ZakiaZ

March 22nd, 2011, 1:59 pm #5

hi,

thanks!
ask if they can recommend a folic acid suppliment that is easy on the stomac. You really should try to take as much of the RDA as possible. Take a little more too so even if/when you can't keep it down, at least some would have already been absorbed, hopefully enough.

I'm sure you're fine but it's not too late to try to increase your intake. Take it at night before you go to bed and if there is ANYTHING at all that you can keep down, take it with that.

This is one thing that we DO have some control over to a certain degree, so it's important to try really hard with this. When the morning sickness is not so bad then you can move to a regular prenatal. Be sure to take it with a meal and you can take it at bedtime.

http://www.motherisk.org/women/folicAcid.jsp

Z.

March 22nd, 2011, 7:11 pm #6

hi,

thanks!
I took 2 flinstones and an extra 400mg folic acid. I could not swallow or I would gag the prenatals. My OB was fine with the nutrients.