Congrats to all the good news!

Congrats to all the good news!

JulesM
JulesM

June 27th, 2011, 11:59 am #1

I am just getting back to reality after a week's vacation where I banned myself from internet use... such a nice break. I just wanted to congrats the few new BFPs and also Katie and Tanya on great US results. Also congrats Mrs A on graduating from P4 supplements and sch1star on you great screening results!

Now I have some anxiety issues that I want to run by you guys. Banning the internet was a nice mental break but I'm afraid not looking things up may have led me to make some bad choices. First of all, the evening before I left I got a call from my new OB's office telling me my vaginal cultures showed BV (how weird is it that someone posted below about having it too). Anyway, they prescribed Flagyl. There was nothing on the label stating a pregnancy warning and since my OB prescribed it I assumed it was safe. I come home last night and see the post below and now I am freaking! Dr Google gives mixed messages. I see a lot of info saying do not take in the 1st trimester and others saying it has only shown neg effects in rodents, not humans. I am just p-o'd that I didn't look into it.... I should know this stuff, I'm in the medical field! I know if I call my OB she is going to say it is safe and she prescribes it all the time. But I will bring it up at my appt on Wed.

The other thing I did that I am now wishing I didn't is take miralax. My constipation hit a high mark at the beginning of last week. I was taking senna and colace and drinking as much as possible but I have to admit, my diet was not ideal while away. My entire family rented a house together, it was 10 adults and 9 kids... we did bulk shopping and it wasn't colon-friendly groceries. By Wed I felt I looked 7 months pregnant and it was a week and a half since my last poop. My sister-in-law had miralax for her son who suffers constipation, she told me she used it while she was pregnant. She offered me some and I took it 3 days in a row (with mild results). Anyway... Dr Google is also giving me mixed results on safety during pregnancy. Have any of you used it or has anyone been told it's a big no-no?

I am so annoyed at myself that these stupid choices are now causing such anxiety.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 27th, 2011, 12:58 pm #2

I wish I could say one way or the other but I have no experience with those meds. All I can say is that of what I read (from when I had that "not-a-yeast-infection" yeast infection) most noted that BV should be treated because of its possible connection to pre-term labor.

I decided to treat me yeast infection because while no connection to pre-term labor, I just was concerned that something simple could snowball into something far larger, especially given that the weather here in NJ had an early hot start and there's lots of moisture going on down "there" these days.

I think discussing with the OB is best bet right now and maybe call now rather than wait, to start getting your mind at ease. Also, do you have any good relationships with hospital pharamcists who can help you put your mind at ease too?

June 27th, 2011, 1:20 pm #3

I am just getting back to reality after a week's vacation where I banned myself from internet use... such a nice break. I just wanted to congrats the few new BFPs and also Katie and Tanya on great US results. Also congrats Mrs A on graduating from P4 supplements and sch1star on you great screening results!

Now I have some anxiety issues that I want to run by you guys. Banning the internet was a nice mental break but I'm afraid not looking things up may have led me to make some bad choices. First of all, the evening before I left I got a call from my new OB's office telling me my vaginal cultures showed BV (how weird is it that someone posted below about having it too). Anyway, they prescribed Flagyl. There was nothing on the label stating a pregnancy warning and since my OB prescribed it I assumed it was safe. I come home last night and see the post below and now I am freaking! Dr Google gives mixed messages. I see a lot of info saying do not take in the 1st trimester and others saying it has only shown neg effects in rodents, not humans. I am just p-o'd that I didn't look into it.... I should know this stuff, I'm in the medical field! I know if I call my OB she is going to say it is safe and she prescribes it all the time. But I will bring it up at my appt on Wed.

The other thing I did that I am now wishing I didn't is take miralax. My constipation hit a high mark at the beginning of last week. I was taking senna and colace and drinking as much as possible but I have to admit, my diet was not ideal while away. My entire family rented a house together, it was 10 adults and 9 kids... we did bulk shopping and it wasn't colon-friendly groceries. By Wed I felt I looked 7 months pregnant and it was a week and a half since my last poop. My sister-in-law had miralax for her son who suffers constipation, she told me she used it while she was pregnant. She offered me some and I took it 3 days in a row (with mild results). Anyway... Dr Google is also giving me mixed results on safety during pregnancy. Have any of you used it or has anyone been told it's a big no-no?

I am so annoyed at myself that these stupid choices are now causing such anxiety.
and nothing worked for me (I tried metamucil, on OB's rec but all that did was bloat me up more. Colace, pft! nothing with that too)
the only thing that worked was prune juice, not whole prunes, the juice...well the prunes would have probably worked after a day but I didn't want to wait.

I marked down every bowel movement so that on day 3, I'd know to drink a glass (I'd start with 1/2 cup and wait 20-30min and drink another 1/2 cup if needed)

As to you taking Miralax. I don't know the drug but I went googling, just as you did and my feeling is that it's fine. Yes, mixed messages BUT if it was truly really bad, the first hit or two would plainly say NO STOP. so don't beat yourself up about it, I am confident it did no harm and maybe try the prune juice instead. For me it really woke up the intestines and make me go.

As for the slow plumbing, it's the progesterone that relaxes the intestine muscles (and stomach sphincter, btw so the heartburn will be a pesky friend until delivery too, if you have it). Do be sure to drink your 8glasses of water/fluid a day, count them on paper if you have to, in this way at least you know you are fulfilling that part of things and you can't blame low water intake for the const.

remind me how far along you are (hmmm maybe it's time for a roll call)

good luck and don't let it go beyond 3 days, by day 4 at the very latest do the prune juice. Hate prune juice? mix it or just down it as fast as you ca. You'll learn to appreciate it Sometimes I'd drink the prune juice on day 3 and by third dose, I'd shrug my shoulders and give up but lo, next morning I'd have a bathroom session

jm

JulesM
JulesM

June 27th, 2011, 3:13 pm #4

I wish I could say one way or the other but I have no experience with those meds. All I can say is that of what I read (from when I had that "not-a-yeast-infection" yeast infection) most noted that BV should be treated because of its possible connection to pre-term labor.

I decided to treat me yeast infection because while no connection to pre-term labor, I just was concerned that something simple could snowball into something far larger, especially given that the weather here in NJ had an early hot start and there's lots of moisture going on down "there" these days.

I think discussing with the OB is best bet right now and maybe call now rather than wait, to start getting your mind at ease. Also, do you have any good relationships with hospital pharamcists who can help you put your mind at ease too?
I was just opening my mail and there was a letter from my OB explaining that the want to treat this mild infection BECAUSE I am pregnant. It put me a ease a bit. I know that flagyl is the drug of choice for BV and it sounds like the risk of an untreated infection outweighs the risk of the medication.

JulesM
JulesM

June 27th, 2011, 3:16 pm #5

and nothing worked for me (I tried metamucil, on OB's rec but all that did was bloat me up more. Colace, pft! nothing with that too)
the only thing that worked was prune juice, not whole prunes, the juice...well the prunes would have probably worked after a day but I didn't want to wait.

I marked down every bowel movement so that on day 3, I'd know to drink a glass (I'd start with 1/2 cup and wait 20-30min and drink another 1/2 cup if needed)

As to you taking Miralax. I don't know the drug but I went googling, just as you did and my feeling is that it's fine. Yes, mixed messages BUT if it was truly really bad, the first hit or two would plainly say NO STOP. so don't beat yourself up about it, I am confident it did no harm and maybe try the prune juice instead. For me it really woke up the intestines and make me go.

As for the slow plumbing, it's the progesterone that relaxes the intestine muscles (and stomach sphincter, btw so the heartburn will be a pesky friend until delivery too, if you have it). Do be sure to drink your 8glasses of water/fluid a day, count them on paper if you have to, in this way at least you know you are fulfilling that part of things and you can't blame low water intake for the const.

remind me how far along you are (hmmm maybe it's time for a roll call)

good luck and don't let it go beyond 3 days, by day 4 at the very latest do the prune juice. Hate prune juice? mix it or just down it as fast as you ca. You'll learn to appreciate it Sometimes I'd drink the prune juice on day 3 and by third dose, I'd shrug my shoulders and give up but lo, next morning I'd have a bathroom session

jm
I am off to the grocery store now to get some fiber rich food and stock up on the fruits and veggies. I'll pick up some prune juice too. I got carried away with the cheeses and dips while on vacation... so yummy but sooo not what my body needs right now. I'm 11w3d.

Tanya
Tanya

June 27th, 2011, 4:15 pm #6

Thank you Jules. I thought I had read that Miralax was okay, I will check tonight because maybe it was in my OB packet.

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 27th, 2011, 4:33 pm #7

I was just opening my mail and there was a letter from my OB explaining that the want to treat this mild infection BECAUSE I am pregnant. It put me a ease a bit. I know that flagyl is the drug of choice for BV and it sounds like the risk of an untreated infection outweighs the risk of the medication.
in this process you are looking to take care of not only baby but you as well.

I had to remind myself of that a few times. We are so scared (and rightfully so) of doing anything that may harm the PG but we can't forget that we have to make sure we also don't do (or do) something that may have an adverse effect on our own health. Because if we're not healthy then baby's could be at risk.

I've had 3 herpes outbreaks on my lip since I got PG and the first two I left as is, no medication. But the 3rd was VICIOUS, really bad. I was going through it as I was switching OBs and both had told me it was ok to take Valtrex (which I normally do anyway when I have an outbreak). I was on the fence about taking it for the obvious reasons but I realized that it was in the best interest of my health to take it. It was growing and growing by the hour (no joke!) and I didn't want to take a chance that maybe it could move to my eyes or create unnecessary complications that could spell worse for me and baby. (I've had these outbreaks all my life so I know how bad it can get and how it can spread.) It was a tough choice but I took the medication.

JulesM
JulesM

June 27th, 2011, 5:39 pm #8

Thank you Jules. I thought I had read that Miralax was okay, I will check tonight because maybe it was in my OB packet.
I was not in mine, only senna, colace and metamucil. But my SIL took it during pregnancy, so at the time I didn't think much about it. I wonder if "normal" pregnant women obsess as much... I am guessing not, haha.

pixl
pixl

June 27th, 2011, 5:45 pm #9

Popping in from the PG after DE board, I just wanted to comment on Miralax use as I am on it daily (prescribed by GI doc) because of bowel adhesions and a history of bowel obstruction. I have been on it for a few years now. I am 33 weeks along and my GI doc, OB and peri are all completely fine with my daily Miralax use. Believe me, I asked them about it repeatedly!

Here's the thing with Miralax: the molecules are so large that they do not get out of your GI tract and into your bloodstream, so you don't have to worry about it crossing the placenta if it doesn't even cross into your own blood. And as you have probably found out, it works pretty subtly, no cramps or anything like that (which I understand is the concern with some constipation relief products during pregnancy - you don't want anything that could cause strong contractions in the bowel). Miralax just draws more water into your stools to make them softer without any cramping, much like colace does. Although colace doesn't seem to do anything for me. Still, I take the minimum effective dose, which is usually a half dose of Miralax daily.

Hope this gives a little reassurance!

June 27th, 2011, 6:22 pm #10

I am off to the grocery store now to get some fiber rich food and stock up on the fruits and veggies. I'll pick up some prune juice too. I got carried away with the cheeses and dips while on vacation... so yummy but sooo not what my body needs right now. I'm 11w3d.
sometime during my DS's pg, I ate corndogs for lunch for a whole week. it was heaven (except they are called pogos up here)

You do what you can when you can and enjoy as much as you can

hugs
jm