Clothes drama

Clothes drama

August 28th, 2011, 3:41 pm #1

Let me preface this by saying, I am over the moon at finally getting and staying pregnant. I have had a rough 3 year journey to get back here. I am a little over 16 weeks. I do have a bump but it doesn't scream cute pregnant bump. It just makes me look frumpy and really chubby. Now, I am by no means super in to my appearance. However, I am having such a hard time with the clothes transition. I can't get into really pregnant stuff b/c my belly isn't big enough but I can't wear normal clothes b/c the bump is obvious. All my weight is straight to the gut. I went to motherhood maternity and then to Macys. I have tried on a few things at kohls and looked at Old navy. A few weeks ago I did buy these cute pants from Motherhood but the elastic gave way after 2 wears. I am like seriously. Nothing is really working right now. I want to call Heidi Klum and be like, could you have sold and put your name on some freaking baggy pants for mothers to be. We are not all supermodels. I did just buy another dress at motherhood maternity but lets face it the cute summer dresses have a very short shelf life (I live in the northeast). I just hate feeling so down and out about the clothes. I obviously can't wear my elastic workout clothes to work. It was so depressing to be at the mall yesterday. I felt like such a freak. I can't stress how excited I am to have a baby, its just getting to the finish line is hard.

August 28th, 2011, 4:37 pm #2

it's true. The mat clothing doesn't really fit--for me they never really fit comfortably anyways because I retained water.

Could you not wear the dresses with some elastic work-out bottoms? Or shorten the dresses to mid thigh if too long?

That is the get up I had to wear AND bought pg tights--not panty-hose but thick cotton tights.

I did find some pants at a mat store, the thighs never felt comfy until "after" I delivered and was thankful for them because my belly took a while to go down (I see some women post delivery and marvel at how fast their bellies went down. I swear, I still looked pg for about a month pos) but I was retaining so much water, my thighs got bigger, I didn't realize it, I saw my ankles become kancles LOL and edema (sp?) but never thought it went as high as my thighs.
So yes, lived in my tights and two pairs of mat pants that had to be adjusted all the time--bad fit but for the time you wear them...

Did you try the elastic at the button hole? One friend swore this saved her. That didn't work for me. Maybe the elastic (loop it once on button, thread through hole and loop again on button) with bella band on top would have worked for me but by the time I learned this trick, I was set with a few articles.

Are you still keeping it secret form work? I can't remember if you've told them yet. Some keep it mum until there is absolutely no doubt. In fact, a friend I hardly see just changed her facebook profile without a word and this is how extended friends found out. No hey look at me/us, just photo change. She's due in Sept.

I too felt very frustrated at clothing manufacturers.

Those mat pants I wore after the delivery, I'd just roll the waist band down. Not the comfiest but I was loath to go buy more pants to get me through this particular jelly-belly phase LOL

hey, how is the weather where you are? Where I live, we aren't in the path but on the very stretched out outer reaches and the wind is cold and it's a grey day, maybe chance of rain later in the day.

Juliemam

August 28th, 2011, 11:49 pm #3

Let me preface this by saying, I am over the moon at finally getting and staying pregnant. I have had a rough 3 year journey to get back here. I am a little over 16 weeks. I do have a bump but it doesn't scream cute pregnant bump. It just makes me look frumpy and really chubby. Now, I am by no means super in to my appearance. However, I am having such a hard time with the clothes transition. I can't get into really pregnant stuff b/c my belly isn't big enough but I can't wear normal clothes b/c the bump is obvious. All my weight is straight to the gut. I went to motherhood maternity and then to Macys. I have tried on a few things at kohls and looked at Old navy. A few weeks ago I did buy these cute pants from Motherhood but the elastic gave way after 2 wears. I am like seriously. Nothing is really working right now. I want to call Heidi Klum and be like, could you have sold and put your name on some freaking baggy pants for mothers to be. We are not all supermodels. I did just buy another dress at motherhood maternity but lets face it the cute summer dresses have a very short shelf life (I live in the northeast). I just hate feeling so down and out about the clothes. I obviously can't wear my elastic workout clothes to work. It was so depressing to be at the mall yesterday. I felt like such a freak. I can't stress how excited I am to have a baby, its just getting to the finish line is hard.
When I was about 14 weeks pregnant with my first (after year sof trying and a successful IVF), I can remember sitting on the bed and crying because nothing fit, I looked awful, and even though I was thrilled to be pregnant I was a nervous wreck about the pregnancy. I didn't tell anyone at work until I was 17 weeks, mainly because I was scared so I just didn't want anyone to know. I didn't really have the big belly "pop" until around 18 - 20 weeks and then, boom! People would let me get in front of them in line at Starbucks, open doors for me, etc. They could tell right away. That felt really great, especially after years of trying. But the weeks leading up to that were tough. Like you said, maternity clothes didn't work, and neither did regular ones. I did have some luck with the Bella Band by Ingrid & Isabelle. It held my regular pants up. Then I wore it again around my maternity clothes after I delivered.

There's also the "Pregnancy Survival Kit" by Belly Basics - it has those basic pregnancy pieces that you wear all the time.

Just go easy on yourself for the next few weeks and I promise you'll feel much better.
Take care,
Sarah

sch1star
sch1star

August 29th, 2011, 5:01 pm #4

Not sure if your work is bus casual...but did you try things with no panel? If not, it may be worthwhile. I could not wear panel stuff until 20+ weeks and some of it is still too big at 27 weeks, especially the full panels. Felt terrible and drove me crazy. But I got 2 pairs of under the belly cargo type capris from Old Navy off eBay and they did the trick all summer long - just getting a little funky now because I'm carrying low and have to watch that the butt doesn't sneak down! You can get some that are more formal looking, too - tons on there.

About as far along as you are, I did some semi extensive shopping on eBay because I just didn't like what the maternity stores had to offer. I also went to ON and got some big flowy type shirts - longer, non clingy shirts are still in style and will help you hide if you want to.

Every woman I know who's done pg seems to swear by leggings and tunic tops. We are just about at the point in the year up here in NE where this might be the ticket style for you.

Good luck. I seriously recommend surfing time on eBay. I did end up with some stuff that I didn't like or that didn't fit that I will end up donating or reselling, but it was so cheap that it was well worthwhile.

August 29th, 2011, 11:25 pm #5

it's true. The mat clothing doesn't really fit--for me they never really fit comfortably anyways because I retained water.

Could you not wear the dresses with some elastic work-out bottoms? Or shorten the dresses to mid thigh if too long?

That is the get up I had to wear AND bought pg tights--not panty-hose but thick cotton tights.

I did find some pants at a mat store, the thighs never felt comfy until "after" I delivered and was thankful for them because my belly took a while to go down (I see some women post delivery and marvel at how fast their bellies went down. I swear, I still looked pg for about a month pos) but I was retaining so much water, my thighs got bigger, I didn't realize it, I saw my ankles become kancles LOL and edema (sp?) but never thought it went as high as my thighs.
So yes, lived in my tights and two pairs of mat pants that had to be adjusted all the time--bad fit but for the time you wear them...

Did you try the elastic at the button hole? One friend swore this saved her. That didn't work for me. Maybe the elastic (loop it once on button, thread through hole and loop again on button) with bella band on top would have worked for me but by the time I learned this trick, I was set with a few articles.

Are you still keeping it secret form work? I can't remember if you've told them yet. Some keep it mum until there is absolutely no doubt. In fact, a friend I hardly see just changed her facebook profile without a word and this is how extended friends found out. No hey look at me/us, just photo change. She's due in Sept.

I too felt very frustrated at clothing manufacturers.

Those mat pants I wore after the delivery, I'd just roll the waist band down. Not the comfiest but I was loath to go buy more pants to get me through this particular jelly-belly phase LOL

hey, how is the weather where you are? Where I live, we aren't in the path but on the very stretched out outer reaches and the wind is cold and it's a grey day, maybe chance of rain later in the day.

Juliemam
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have told my boss (who doesn't work at the same office) and some friends at work. As for me telling others, I have chose not as I am not really a "sharer" with that stuff. I feel like I told the most important person so I am off the hook.
I think it is not easy to find normal clothes so maternity is just as hard. I have been trying to work with the belly bands but everything is straight to the gut/ upper thigh area so I am dead in the water. I definitely need to try the elastic the next time I get frustrated.

August 29th, 2011, 11:27 pm #6

When I was about 14 weeks pregnant with my first (after year sof trying and a successful IVF), I can remember sitting on the bed and crying because nothing fit, I looked awful, and even though I was thrilled to be pregnant I was a nervous wreck about the pregnancy. I didn't tell anyone at work until I was 17 weeks, mainly because I was scared so I just didn't want anyone to know. I didn't really have the big belly "pop" until around 18 - 20 weeks and then, boom! People would let me get in front of them in line at Starbucks, open doors for me, etc. They could tell right away. That felt really great, especially after years of trying. But the weeks leading up to that were tough. Like you said, maternity clothes didn't work, and neither did regular ones. I did have some luck with the Bella Band by Ingrid & Isabelle. It held my regular pants up. Then I wore it again around my maternity clothes after I delivered.

There's also the "Pregnancy Survival Kit" by Belly Basics - it has those basic pregnancy pieces that you wear all the time.

Just go easy on yourself for the next few weeks and I promise you'll feel much better.
Take care,
Sarah
I will definitely check out the survival kit, b/c hopefully its literally and figuratively . I do have a belly band or a few and I am finding it not working as good as it use to or its just uncomfortable. I am going to stay at it b/c God knows I need too. I am determined.

August 29th, 2011, 11:30 pm #7

Not sure if your work is bus casual...but did you try things with no panel? If not, it may be worthwhile. I could not wear panel stuff until 20+ weeks and some of it is still too big at 27 weeks, especially the full panels. Felt terrible and drove me crazy. But I got 2 pairs of under the belly cargo type capris from Old Navy off eBay and they did the trick all summer long - just getting a little funky now because I'm carrying low and have to watch that the butt doesn't sneak down! You can get some that are more formal looking, too - tons on there.

About as far along as you are, I did some semi extensive shopping on eBay because I just didn't like what the maternity stores had to offer. I also went to ON and got some big flowy type shirts - longer, non clingy shirts are still in style and will help you hide if you want to.

Every woman I know who's done pg seems to swear by leggings and tunic tops. We are just about at the point in the year up here in NE where this might be the ticket style for you.

Good luck. I seriously recommend surfing time on eBay. I did end up with some stuff that I didn't like or that didn't fit that I will end up donating or reselling, but it was so cheap that it was well worthwhile.
Yeah the panel definitely scares me. Someone told me about a nice consignment store near where I live. I never have bought from one but desperate times call for desparate measures. The hard thing is, I am not really a leggings kind of girl. I am definitely keeping my options open and looking at any and every store.

sch1star
sch1star

August 30th, 2011, 4:27 pm #8

You can check this out too...sale this week, different % discount each day, today is the best!

http://www.isabellaoliver.com/maternity-clothes

August 30th, 2011, 5:50 pm #9

Just bought a couple of shirts for the cooler weather

Hugs,
Meg