Carpal Tunnel anyone?

Wren
Wren

January 11th, 2012, 3:27 pm #11

So I believe this is what I have developed, most likely because of the position I was holding Rosie while BF. I am waking up with very numb fingers, it gets better during the day but does not go away completely. I don't have any wrist pain, just numbness, pins and needles and some stiffness. I have changed the way I hold her and am relying more on the support pillow. Has anyone else had this? If so, what did you do about it? Wondering if I should see my PCP if it continues.
Also happen because of the repetition of picking up and putting down.

Hadas
Hadas

January 11th, 2012, 4:20 pm #12

How the doctors diagnose for deQuervains (AKA "mother's thumb") called the Finklestein test:

Hold out your arm with thumb pointing up like a hitchhiker;
Leaving arm in that position, put thumb inside the fist and hold tight;
Slowly tilt fist (with thumb inside) toward floor but leaving arm still.

If you have deQuervains there will be shocking pain when you do this Finklestein test! A cortisone shot gave me 100% relief within a day or two, no splint or ice or wrap needed.
Not sure this is what the OP has though, since she did not say she had wrist pain or pain at the base of the thumb.

Google "mother's thumb" for info on how deQuervain's affects new moms, mine hit when baby was 4 mo old.
It may or may not be this, but it's worth asking. I remember being so excited when they actually gave me a name for it!

julesM
julesM

January 11th, 2012, 5:15 pm #13

How the doctors diagnose for deQuervains (AKA "mother's thumb") called the Finklestein test:

Hold out your arm with thumb pointing up like a hitchhiker;
Leaving arm in that position, put thumb inside the fist and hold tight;
Slowly tilt fist (with thumb inside) toward floor but leaving arm still.

If you have deQuervains there will be shocking pain when you do this Finklestein test! A cortisone shot gave me 100% relief within a day or two, no splint or ice or wrap needed.
Not sure this is what the OP has though, since she did not say she had wrist pain or pain at the base of the thumb.

Google "mother's thumb" for info on how deQuervain's affects new moms, mine hit when baby was 4 mo old.
Looks like that is not what I have. The numbness is just in my fingers and occasionally the palm of my hands. My hands are also swollen, I still can't get my rings off where as the rest of my body does not have any swelling.

JulesM
JulesM

January 11th, 2012, 5:22 pm #14

Also happen because of the repetition of picking up and putting down.
I can see why this would happen. I need to start paying more attention to how I am positioning my hands and wrists while doing these repetitive activities.

BabyDance
BabyDance

January 11th, 2012, 6:45 pm #15

Just b6 pills? How much? And yes, need to support my back with feeding, I am always leaning forward and my back is aching.
Takes a few weeks to kick in. Good luck!

JulesM
JulesM

January 11th, 2012, 7:29 pm #16

Thank you :-)

January 12th, 2012, 8:30 pm #17

So I believe this is what I have developed, most likely because of the position I was holding Rosie while BF. I am waking up with very numb fingers, it gets better during the day but does not go away completely. I don't have any wrist pain, just numbness, pins and needles and some stiffness. I have changed the way I hold her and am relying more on the support pillow. Has anyone else had this? If so, what did you do about it? Wondering if I should see my PCP if it continues.
To a hand doctor who gave me braces to wear especially @ night. Disappeared once baby came