Can I eat ham?

Can I eat ham?

Tanya
Tanya

June 22nd, 2011, 10:13 pm #1

First sorry for my silly question... I was going to have ham for dinner but dh brought up a good point, I can't have deli meat so what's the difference between ham and deli ham? Maybe I'll have to eat grilled cheese for the next 8 months

June 22nd, 2011, 11:50 pm #2

I think that meats from the deli are more likely to have been sitting out and have bacteria. And generally, we don't cook deli meats, so we get 100% of the bacteria. Things that are packaged or served hot should be okay (I would imagine).
I hope so cause I had a grilled ham and cheese for lunch today!

Tanya
Tanya

June 23rd, 2011, 12:04 am #3

I think you are right about the ham, maybe
Tomorrow
Thank u for replying

June 23rd, 2011, 1:04 am #4

First sorry for my silly question... I was going to have ham for dinner but dh brought up a good point, I can't have deli meat so what's the difference between ham and deli ham? Maybe I'll have to eat grilled cheese for the next 8 months
Is ok to eat. I read that raw ham should be cooked to 160 degrees and precooked ham should be cooked to 140 degrees.

The concern with deli meats is listeria. I read on a website that there's a chance that contamination may occur in ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs and deli meats because contamination may occur after cooking and before packaging.

But cooked ham is OK.

Hugs,
Meg

sch1star
sch1star

June 23rd, 2011, 1:49 am #5

If you make it or reheat it at home to steaming hot, it's okay.

I have read that it's a packaging issue and also an equipment issue (the equipment the deli cuts with). Can I just say this is my least favorite no-no. I have been craving a nice deli turkey sandwich with hots on a sub roll since day one of pg!

What about other stuff from the deli like pasta salad? I keep meaning to ask a nurse about this. Some of it sits in the case, but sometimes they pack up containers of it in the AM and put it in the refrig case...think that stuff is ok?

Cooking raw things (especially meat proteins) still makes me feel very green so premade is good.

Sooooo mannnnyyyy restrictions!

Mrs. A
Mrs. A

June 23rd, 2011, 2:56 pm #6

that I recently got a pepperoni and provolone Blimpie with banana peppers - COLD. YUM!!!!!

June 23rd, 2011, 7:56 pm #7

I think the ham you would have for supper would be okay but not the deli ham. Its all about the heat/cooking issue.

The no deli meat is tough if your a lunch bringer. I am going to have to get creative. And its classic that all I want is a fatty Italian sub.

Tanya
Tanya

June 23rd, 2011, 11:04 pm #8

Is ok to eat. I read that raw ham should be cooked to 160 degrees and precooked ham should be cooked to 140 degrees.

The concern with deli meats is listeria. I read on a website that there's a chance that contamination may occur in ready-to-eat foods such as hot dogs and deli meats because contamination may occur after cooking and before packaging.

But cooked ham is OK.

Hugs,
Meg
Thank you so much (nt)

Tanya
Tanya

June 23rd, 2011, 11:06 pm #9

If you make it or reheat it at home to steaming hot, it's okay.

I have read that it's a packaging issue and also an equipment issue (the equipment the deli cuts with). Can I just say this is my least favorite no-no. I have been craving a nice deli turkey sandwich with hots on a sub roll since day one of pg!

What about other stuff from the deli like pasta salad? I keep meaning to ask a nurse about this. Some of it sits in the case, but sometimes they pack up containers of it in the AM and put it in the refrig case...think that stuff is ok?

Cooking raw things (especially meat proteins) still makes me feel very green so premade is good.

Sooooo mannnnyyyy restrictions!
Your response was very helpful, thank you. I always wonder about salads too, I'll add that to my list of questions for my ob next week

sch1star
sch1star

June 23rd, 2011, 11:57 pm #10

that I recently got a pepperoni and provolone Blimpie with banana peppers - COLD. YUM!!!!!
Mega yum! I miss my pepperoni (and it goes so well with banana peppers)! Note to any fans of pepperoni pizza, both Newman's and CA Kitchen do make them with nitrite-free pepperoni.