Breast Pump Recommendation

Breast Pump Recommendation

Bethpky
Bethpky

April 9th, 2011, 6:16 pm #1

I just found out that I can get reimbursed for a breast pump from my flexible spending account. Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks,
Beth

MargieD
MargieD

April 9th, 2011, 9:02 pm #2

A few thoughts after having owned one....

I have the Ameda Breast Pump. I really liked it, but I wouldn't call it "luxurious." I got it on Craig's List from a lady who had one too many and all of the pieces were in sealed plastic bags. I think I paid $80 for it but it was one of those carryall kits.

1) You want a breast pump where you can easily and quickly replace the parts. I dropped one of mine and cracked one of the pieces. I was lucky to be able to use it until I got it replaced through eBay. In fact, I got the whole package (minus the pump and extras) for about $20 on eBay. However, if I couldn't use it - I would have been screwed until the parts came. (The parts don't break easily, but you want to replace the valves every now and then - depending on the kind of valves / brand you have.)

2) Breast pumps come with bottles - but some have wide necks and others do not. If I was behind on my bottle washing, I could use the regular Gerber bottles in place of the Ameda bottles. I thought this was normal until I saw that my sister's pump had the smaller necks. She had to use THEIR bottles because they could not be interchanged. That meant that she had to keep up with the wash.

3) Another thought is the loudness of the pump. If you plan to pump at work and want something quiet - that's something to consider. I had the privacy in my office so that was not a concern for me.

4) This is not related to breast pumps, but the breast milk storage bags. The Lansinoh - the most common brand - LEAKED like crazy when thawing. I am not sure why they only leak when thawing. Maybe it's me?? But until you figure that it IS me - thaw them in a glass so you don't have breastmilk everywhere on the counter.

I would definitely shop around. My sister had the more expensive / popular / luxurious brand but I didn't think it was more comfortable than mine ALTHOUGH it was easier to find parts for her pump than it was for mine. I also had a much easier time of breast pumping / feeding than she did, too.

gone_fshn
gone_fshn

April 9th, 2011, 9:16 pm #3

I just found out that I can get reimbursed for a breast pump from my flexible spending account. Does anyone have recommendations?

Thanks,
Beth
...would it make sense to rent a pump from the hospital for a few weeks, and then buy a pump if BFing goes well? I am torn on this, though my current thinking is this may make sense - if for some reason the bfing doesn't go well, then at least I'm not out $200-300 for a pump,accessories etc.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

MargieD
MargieD

April 9th, 2011, 9:28 pm #4

I don't know how much the hospital pumps cost to rent. I do know that the Ameda Carryall kits - the one I bought - go for $200. ($300 is waaaay too much for a breast pump!)

If you are not against buying things on Craig's List and eBay - I would shop there, too.

Using "used" pumps are fine, but buy the parts brand new. You do NOT want to use someone else's parts because they are nearly impossible to get super clean and free of bacteria - even with boiling. If you buy one on C.L.'s - go on eBay and buy the parts brand new / sealed in plastic. I am sure you can get the whole package for less than $100.

There are lots of breast pumps on C.L. and many are practically brand new because WIC offers them to women along with formula! Unfortunately - many women use them one or two times and go with formula. You can almost tell which breast pumps WIC is handing out because there's so many of that brand on C.L. (I can't remember what it is...). You might get lucky and find someone who simply has one too many. (Mine came from a lady whose MIL gave it to her... didn't have the heart to tell her that she had one already....)

Shop around... I really think that you can get one brand new from a retail store or whatever for $150ish....

MargieD
MargieD

April 9th, 2011, 9:34 pm #5

...would it make sense to rent a pump from the hospital for a few weeks, and then buy a pump if BFing goes well? I am torn on this, though my current thinking is this may make sense - if for some reason the bfing doesn't go well, then at least I'm not out $200-300 for a pump,accessories etc.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!
Apparently - hospitals charge $60-$80 a month for breast pumps. Check your hospital and your insurance first to be sure.

Good luck!

Alli
Alli

April 9th, 2011, 10:49 pm #6

Thanks,
Beth
I rented it for $150 for 3 months. It retails for $1600 and worth it. The hospital grade will work both sides much faster. You may decide to switch to formula so it saves you the cost of a pump you don't need long term.

Shipin
Shipin

April 9th, 2011, 11:26 pm #7

Thanks,
Beth
I did not buy the pump but my friend already had the medla one which she passed on to me. She asked me to buy the accessories however I did not wanted to spend on it unless really required. So I checked out all stuffatbabies r us and showed it to my dh in case he had to come alone to buy it.
Later post delivery I did require to use the pump in hospital and they provided me with the medla one only ( the hospital model) bigger than mine. Later on discharge they gave all the accessories , most of which fitted my model at home.so I had o only buy a set of storage bottles. Which again I bough medla one only, however the playtex bottles I had also can be used just fine.
So if u r planning to get a used one u may wan to check with the hospital which brand do they use.
Due to hygiene reasons some places do not le u return used pumps... So make sure u onfirm that as well if u want to buy beforehand and plan to return later if not required.

Blythe (co-moderator)
Blythe (co-moderator)

April 9th, 2011, 11:30 pm #8

Thanks,
Beth
I had a medela pump and style and it was ok. Better in the begining when milk lets down easier. however, I needed a hand pump, something to fit in a briefcase, and bought a Medela hand pump and it was AMAZING. It was much easier to trigger the let down respons and I could pump full bottle in less time that with the damned machine. Wish I had it for #1 instead of the electric pump.

Bethpky
Bethpky

April 10th, 2011, 2:28 am #9

I sure appreciate the advice. Trying to figure out which brands to buy is not easy.

Jamie
Jamie

April 10th, 2011, 3:11 am #10

My milk is coming in right now so this is timely!