Bleeding at 16 wks (tmi/possible mc?)

Bleeding at 16 wks (tmi/possible mc?)

August 4th, 2012, 2:09 pm #1

I apologize in advance for this being long. I have been keeping this in and trying to not take up board space because i feel like i am failing at being pregnant. I am 16 wks today with a naturally conceived twin pregnancy and have had a couple bleeding episodes. The first was on 7/17 and lasted 4 days. My OB advised me to go to the ER where the ultrasound and bloodwork revealed unknown vaginal bleeding. The second episode started on 7/26 and has not stopped since. The last 9 days of bleeding have been so challenging physically and emotionally. I have seen my OB several times, the endocrinologist and the perinatal doctor and still have no conclusive answers as to why this is happening. The placentas are placed and attached properly, the cervix is closed, and latest ultrasound reveal 2 active babies with heartbeats of 128 and 143. All the doctors tell me that some women with multiple pregnancies experience bleeding throughout their pregnancies. I was told that bedrest would not really help because it will not change the outcome of a miscarriage. All the genetic bloodwork testing has come back normal. However, nothing about this feels reassuring, it feels horribly wrong. I keep going into every ultrasound clenching my teeth because I fear seeing the screen without that flash of a beating heart. Besides the bleeding which is heavier than most of my regular periods, I have these horrible cramps that wrap around from my back to my lower abdomen right before the worst bleeding. Battling the world of infertility the last six years was a nightmare, but I clearly remember feeling relief when i finally had the DOR diagnosis. It made me feel like I was not crazy or imagining all the problems with getting pregnant. It made me feel like I could learn about the condition and make a plan of action. Hearing now from every medical professional that there is nothing they can do before 20 weeks is slowly eating away at my hope. I know that life includes loss and I am constantly praying for His will to be done and the peace in my heart to accept it. It feels like my heart is breaking with every blood drop and cramp. I am not certain if anyone has had a similar experience or suggestions for determining what is wrong, I am open ears. Again, sorry for the length, babbling and emotion, I just wanted to hear some answers from women who I know have experienced so much.

Teresa
Teresa

August 4th, 2012, 4:05 pm #2

Marti,

I am so, so sorry you are going through this scary time and please my god, don't apologize for ANYTHING, this is what this board is for. You are perfectly and justifiably right to be upset by this, how scary.

I personally don't have this experience so far into pregnancy, and I hope there will be someone here who can better help you, but I will tell you that when I bled at 8 weeks several pregnancies ago, it was over pretty fast for me and I m/c. I would think it is a good sign that you are going to be okay, if the babies don't seem to be in distress and this has been going on for a few weeks, as scary as it is. My other thought would have been a cerclage but you said your cervix is closed so that is VERY good. It's also very good that they said your placenta is doing what it should. It must be very frustrating to not know why this is happening. I feel bad that the doctors can't Rx you something to help with the cramping. Drink lots of water and try and rest as much as you can, even though they said bedrest isn't necessary, I would do as little as humanely possible for right now.

I have read that bleeding during pregnancy is not uncommon at all and something like 30% of women have bleeding. I am sure this brings you no comfort.

I pray, alot. I believe in the power of prayer and it always brings me much comfort when I spend time praying to St Gerard and St Anne, especially when I am having a rough time or feeling very afradi, so I promise to keep you and your little ones in my prayers daily.

Lastly, if it keeps up, I would not hesitate to keep calling the doctor and keeping him informed.

You are in my prayers!

gone_fshn
gone_fshn

August 4th, 2012, 4:06 pm #3

I apologize in advance for this being long. I have been keeping this in and trying to not take up board space because i feel like i am failing at being pregnant. I am 16 wks today with a naturally conceived twin pregnancy and have had a couple bleeding episodes. The first was on 7/17 and lasted 4 days. My OB advised me to go to the ER where the ultrasound and bloodwork revealed unknown vaginal bleeding. The second episode started on 7/26 and has not stopped since. The last 9 days of bleeding have been so challenging physically and emotionally. I have seen my OB several times, the endocrinologist and the perinatal doctor and still have no conclusive answers as to why this is happening. The placentas are placed and attached properly, the cervix is closed, and latest ultrasound reveal 2 active babies with heartbeats of 128 and 143. All the doctors tell me that some women with multiple pregnancies experience bleeding throughout their pregnancies. I was told that bedrest would not really help because it will not change the outcome of a miscarriage. All the genetic bloodwork testing has come back normal. However, nothing about this feels reassuring, it feels horribly wrong. I keep going into every ultrasound clenching my teeth because I fear seeing the screen without that flash of a beating heart. Besides the bleeding which is heavier than most of my regular periods, I have these horrible cramps that wrap around from my back to my lower abdomen right before the worst bleeding. Battling the world of infertility the last six years was a nightmare, but I clearly remember feeling relief when i finally had the DOR diagnosis. It made me feel like I was not crazy or imagining all the problems with getting pregnant. It made me feel like I could learn about the condition and make a plan of action. Hearing now from every medical professional that there is nothing they can do before 20 weeks is slowly eating away at my hope. I know that life includes loss and I am constantly praying for His will to be done and the peace in my heart to accept it. It feels like my heart is breaking with every blood drop and cramp. I am not certain if anyone has had a similar experience or suggestions for determining what is wrong, I am open ears. Again, sorry for the length, babbling and emotion, I just wanted to hear some answers from women who I know have experienced so much.
...to hear you are going thru this. I don't have any 'answers' for you but just wanted you to know I am in the same boat with this pregnancy and can sympathize. I have had episodes of heavy bleeding at 7, 15 and 21 weeks due to a subchronic hematoma and it is sooo scary. I am now almost 26 weeks and each day is a struggle to stay positive that this preganacy will result in a healthy baby. I am going for regular ultrasounds and the baby always looks great and my cervix is long and closed so I try to take comfort in that but it's hard not to let your fears overtake you.

Have they told you if you have a hematoma? Also I am on progesterone - are you on that?

anonymous
anonymous

August 4th, 2012, 4:28 pm #4

I was pregnant with twins and had some spotting early on and was told bleeding with twins was very common and can happen throughout the whole pregnancy. I usually post on the DE board and I know I have seen a lot of woman post who had huge bleeding episodes and went on to have healthy twins.

August 4th, 2012, 7:18 pm #5

Marti,

I am so, so sorry you are going through this scary time and please my god, don't apologize for ANYTHING, this is what this board is for. You are perfectly and justifiably right to be upset by this, how scary.

I personally don't have this experience so far into pregnancy, and I hope there will be someone here who can better help you, but I will tell you that when I bled at 8 weeks several pregnancies ago, it was over pretty fast for me and I m/c. I would think it is a good sign that you are going to be okay, if the babies don't seem to be in distress and this has been going on for a few weeks, as scary as it is. My other thought would have been a cerclage but you said your cervix is closed so that is VERY good. It's also very good that they said your placenta is doing what it should. It must be very frustrating to not know why this is happening. I feel bad that the doctors can't Rx you something to help with the cramping. Drink lots of water and try and rest as much as you can, even though they said bedrest isn't necessary, I would do as little as humanely possible for right now.

I have read that bleeding during pregnancy is not uncommon at all and something like 30% of women have bleeding. I am sure this brings you no comfort.

I pray, alot. I believe in the power of prayer and it always brings me much comfort when I spend time praying to St Gerard and St Anne, especially when I am having a rough time or feeling very afradi, so I promise to keep you and your little ones in my prayers daily.

Lastly, if it keeps up, I would not hesitate to keep calling the doctor and keeping him informed.

You are in my prayers!

Your kind words brings comfort to me. I am also a woman of faith and appreciate your prayers. Fortunately, I love drinking water and have thought I may become part fish when I read old posts about what to do for bleeding during pregnancy. I have tried going to work, coming home and parking myself in bed and doing nothing. Thanks to a great boss, I have started gestational telecommuting for part or all of the workday, but the bleeding continues. Actually the 30% statistic makes me feel more normal, I had no idea that it was so high. It seems like one of the unspoken things about pregnancy.

I have decided to become the thorn in my OB's side about reporting the bleeding and asking to come in for a check with the Doppler or ultrasound. I gave up on the ER after the first time because they were so callous about the outlook. I appreciate you reading and reesponding. Hope all is well for you and the little one.

August 4th, 2012, 7:25 pm #6

...to hear you are going thru this. I don't have any 'answers' for you but just wanted you to know I am in the same boat with this pregnancy and can sympathize. I have had episodes of heavy bleeding at 7, 15 and 21 weeks due to a subchronic hematoma and it is sooo scary. I am now almost 26 weeks and each day is a struggle to stay positive that this preganacy will result in a healthy baby. I am going for regular ultrasounds and the baby always looks great and my cervix is long and closed so I try to take comfort in that but it's hard not to let your fears overtake you.

Have they told you if you have a hematoma? Also I am on progesterone - are you on that?
Hi gone-fshn,
Your sympathy brings me comfort although I wish you were not experiencing the same thing. I have been told it is not a hematoma and it has nothing to do with my progesterone levels since the babies are on their own now. I forced the testing of the progesterone and it came back within normal range (can't remember the number). I think you are correct about fear, it can be paralyzing and destructive. Your reminder of staying positive makes me want to start baby affirmations for my little ones. Thank you for sharing your journey with me.

August 4th, 2012, 7:26 pm #7

I was pregnant with twins and had some spotting early on and was told bleeding with twins was very common and can happen throughout the whole pregnancy. I usually post on the DE board and I know I have seen a lot of woman post who had huge bleeding episodes and went on to have healthy twins.
Hi,
I am sad to hear you also experienced something similar. I appreciate the advice of checking out the other board, will do ASAP. Take care and I appreciate your empathy.

BroodyHen
BroodyHen

August 4th, 2012, 10:02 pm #8

please don't apologize, marti. i'm glad you posted. what an incredible stress - you poor thing! i'm so, so sorry you are going through this. its just really scary. i have a friend who had a lot of bleeding throughout and delivered a healthy baby boy. i know it seems so hard to believe, but it really is true. this is common and you are not alone. again, i'm just so sorry. i have no advice or insight, but i'm thinking of you and hope that the bleeding stops! hang in there, sweetheart.

ZakiaZ
ZakiaZ

August 5th, 2012, 2:01 am #9

I know how you feel. I had a lot of bleeding with my first born after years of infertility and pg losses. I was sure that it was all over with every single episode.

I distinctly rememeber the dr. saying that I may be like on of her patients who just bled throughout the whole pg. I was not looking forward to that and indeed the bleeding stopped somewhere early in the second tri.

This is a common time for bleeding in ANY pg. I have no experience with twins but I can only imagine that it must be even more common with multiples.

I wish you the best of luck and will keep you in my thoughts for after all the heartache, you deserve this healthy and full term pregnancy.

Hang in there and use positive affirmations to get through it because unfortunately, achieving pg is not a clear path to motherhood. Those of us, like you, who have walked the IF journey, somehow suffer through the different stages, unlike those who have not walked that journey. We are always aware of the difficult side of things and can never relax and be blissful like those who become mothers in innocence/ignorance.

My heart goes out to you and I wish you the strength to stay positive and hopeful that you are just one of those women who "may" have episodes throughout your pg, but will, in the end, have two healthy take home babies.

Best of luck to you,
Z.

Laura
Laura

August 5th, 2012, 2:30 am #10

Ugh...after all we've been through, must we still endure these stresses?? I'm so sorry! I do have a friend who was on bed rest starting at 12 wk bc of bleeding. She stayed on it for the duration but still had heavy bleeding the whole time so she's not sure it helped at all. She had a healthy girl after 3 episodes where the bleeding was so heavy her Dr told her she would surely mc. So, hang in there!!! I hope it stops soon!