Beta update

Beta update

Laura
Laura

May 25th, 2012, 6:55 pm #1

Monday: ~1500
Wednesday: ~3000

So that's good news, but my OB still wants me to have a u/s "as soon as possible at 8 wk" since I'm still having the pain. Apparently, she doesn't have an u/s in her office so she sends everyone to the perinatal clinic at the hospital next door. They won't see anyone until 8 wk.

I decided to bite the bullet and call my RE's office. The nice receptionist answered, so that helped lower my BP a bit. He said no problem and my appt is next Thursday, which will put me at 5w5d, so a uterine pg (or not) should be clear by then. I decided not to ask my friend in the ER since I would hate for her to have to tell me I have an ectopic pg, and going to the ER alone would take hours and hours and cost me a $250 copay.

Side note: DH thinks the perinatal clinic doesn't take anyone before 8 wk bc it's a Catholic hospital, so a baby will def look like a baby, making it harder for women considering abortion to make that decision, and maybe my OB is also anti-abortion. I said it's probably just an insurance billing issue and my OB doesn't want to pay for the upkeep of u/s, but interesting theory.

Teresa
Teresa

May 25th, 2012, 7:32 pm #2

I am so glad you got good beta news that is fantastic. Very big relief, those are good strong numbers.

I know you dont like that RE, I remember last time what a jerk he was and how he treated you, but I think it's good you are going. Very smart decision. It will put your mind at ease and reduce some of the stress.

Look at it this way, you are just going there for the u/s, and it will be quick, he will just be focusing on ruling out the ectopic. IF he says anything stupid or negative to you, let it go in one ear and out the other. We already know he's a big jerk, so we won't put much stock into anything he says. It is still early to see very much. Then leave and never go back to him. It's a good thing to go and get it done. I know this wasnt an easy decision for you so I commend you for that!

PS VERY good point your DH made about the Catholic Hospital and 8 weeks looking like a baby to discourage aborting, I never thought of that, could be or it could just be an insurance thing. I wonder because I know my OB's receptionist initially gave me a hard time about coming in this week, she said "standard" is 8 weeks. She gave me a VERY hard time when I called for todays appointment, until I had enough of her BS, got Italian hot-tempered and nasty back AT her and in the end she gave me my appointment for 6w4d.

Erin
Erin

May 25th, 2012, 8:00 pm #3

So that's good news, but my OB still wants me to have a u/s "as soon as possible at 8 wk" since I'm still having the pain. Apparently, she doesn't have an u/s in her office so she sends everyone to the perinatal clinic at the hospital next door. They won't see anyone until 8 wk.

I decided to bite the bullet and call my RE's office. The nice receptionist answered, so that helped lower my BP a bit. He said no problem and my appt is next Thursday, which will put me at 5w5d, so a uterine pg (or not) should be clear by then. I decided not to ask my friend in the ER since I would hate for her to have to tell me I have an ectopic pg, and going to the ER alone would take hours and hours and cost me a $250 copay.

Side note: DH thinks the perinatal clinic doesn't take anyone before 8 wk bc it's a Catholic hospital, so a baby will def look like a baby, making it harder for women considering abortion to make that decision, and maybe my OB is also anti-abortion. I said it's probably just an insurance billing issue and my OB doesn't want to pay for the upkeep of u/s, but interesting theory.
The doubling beta looks great and I'm glad you got the appt with the RE for piece of mind. My guess is that it will all be fine, but it's good you're getting it checked out to be sure. Hope the pain lets up and you enjoy the long weekend!

Alli
Alli

May 25th, 2012, 8:05 pm #4

8-10 weeks for 1st US because the HB will be definitive by then. There may be some other motivation, but this is pretty standard. Glad you are going earlier.

mel
mel

May 25th, 2012, 8:59 pm #5

Those look like good, strong beta numbers.

It's good that you were able to get an appointment before you go on vacation to put your mind at ease. Hopefully your RE will keep his insensitive comments to himself!

Laura
Laura

May 28th, 2012, 3:16 pm #6

I am so glad you got good beta news that is fantastic. Very big relief, those are good strong numbers.

I know you dont like that RE, I remember last time what a jerk he was and how he treated you, but I think it's good you are going. Very smart decision. It will put your mind at ease and reduce some of the stress.

Look at it this way, you are just going there for the u/s, and it will be quick, he will just be focusing on ruling out the ectopic. IF he says anything stupid or negative to you, let it go in one ear and out the other. We already know he's a big jerk, so we won't put much stock into anything he says. It is still early to see very much. Then leave and never go back to him. It's a good thing to go and get it done. I know this wasnt an easy decision for you so I commend you for that!

PS VERY good point your DH made about the Catholic Hospital and 8 weeks looking like a baby to discourage aborting, I never thought of that, could be or it could just be an insurance thing. I wonder because I know my OB's receptionist initially gave me a hard time about coming in this week, she said "standard" is 8 weeks. She gave me a VERY hard time when I called for todays appointment, until I had enough of her BS, got Italian hot-tempered and nasty back AT her and in the end she gave me my appointment for 6w4d.

I am feeling better about seeing my RE, since I know I can ignore whatever "advice" he tries to impart. I'm just going to see if the pg appears to be viable or not.

Laura
Laura

May 28th, 2012, 3:18 pm #7

The doubling beta looks great and I'm glad you got the appt with the RE for piece of mind. My guess is that it will all be fine, but it's good you're getting it checked out to be sure. Hope the pain lets up and you enjoy the long weekend!
While the pain still comes and goes, it appears to be worse when I have gas (hahaha) and it's also getting worse on the right side, but better on the left, so I'm def not as worried any more.

Laura
Laura

May 28th, 2012, 3:22 pm #8

8-10 weeks for 1st US because the HB will be definitive by then. There may be some other motivation, but this is pretty standard. Glad you are going earlier.
But we all know that a hb on a viable pg should be visible by 6-7 wk. However, the fetus doesn't look like a baby until 8 wk. I still think it's an insurance thing (like why should an insurance company pay for u/s at 5 wk when the majority of m/c's happen between 4-8 wk), but I think there's something to his theory, at least in this case. It's a perinatal clinic with a very high-res machine; yet they won't take ANYONE for ANY reason before 8 wk.

Laura
Laura

May 28th, 2012, 3:23 pm #9

Those look like good, strong beta numbers.

It's good that you were able to get an appointment before you go on vacation to put your mind at ease. Hopefully your RE will keep his insensitive comments to himself!
I'm wondering if maybe I should wear earplugs! hahaha