Baby not gaining weight...

Baby not gaining weight...

December 8th, 2011, 7:13 pm #1

and I'm really worried. Part of it may be that the baby scale at the pedi's office is broken, so they had to use an adult/big kid scale. (They weighed themselves, zeroed out their weight, and then weighed holding Aaron.) It said he weighed 7 lbs, 7 oz. Last Friday, the baby scale registered him at 7 lbs, 9 oz, which was his discharge weight from three days previous. However, when I went to the lactation consultant appt. that same day, they registered him at 7 lbs, 11 oz. They said he was taking something like 1.5 oz from each breast, which was plenty and they weren't concerned.

So, his weights since birth are the following:

8 lbs (birth)
7 lbs, 9 oz (discharge)
7 lbs, 9 oz (five days old, pedi baby scale)
7 lbs, 11 oz (five days old, hospital scale)
7 lbs, 7 oz (11 days old, pedi adult scale)

I'm so upset and not sure if I should be. Is it just the different scales? I tried to get a weight check from the hospital again today so I can at least compare using the same scale, but lactation still hasn't called me back. SIGH.

Aaron's been really sleepy, too, which I'm wondering if he's dozing more during feeds than I think. But I'm worried about why he's so sleepy. Even though this is my third child, they're all so different. But I'm worried that this is indicative of some sort of neurological disorder like DS#1 has. Is it normal to still be so sleepy at 11 days old? DS#2 was the opposite--crazy awake, never slept even as a newborn.

Sorry this is so rambling. I'm just really worried. I just pumped three oz from my left breast and will try giving that to Aaron after he takes from the right breast. (Pedi suggested this.)

So worried...

Meg

jkl
jkl

December 8th, 2011, 8:55 pm #2

The whole weight gain thing is so stressful. I bet that last reading was off, the scales really do make a difference. I know I had to go back a lot with dd#2 because she wasn't gaining because she was spitting up so much but I can't remember how long it took for her to ge to her birth weight. I know this is probably extra stressful given your history. I think the thing to do is just keep going back so they can check the weight and keep on top of it. Hugs!

jkl

December 8th, 2011, 9:05 pm #3

and I'm really worried. Part of it may be that the baby scale at the pedi's office is broken, so they had to use an adult/big kid scale. (They weighed themselves, zeroed out their weight, and then weighed holding Aaron.) It said he weighed 7 lbs, 7 oz. Last Friday, the baby scale registered him at 7 lbs, 9 oz, which was his discharge weight from three days previous. However, when I went to the lactation consultant appt. that same day, they registered him at 7 lbs, 11 oz. They said he was taking something like 1.5 oz from each breast, which was plenty and they weren't concerned.

8 lbs (birth)
7 lbs, 9 oz (discharge)

I'm so upset and not sure if I should be. Is it just the different scales? I tried to get a weight check from the hospital again today so I can at least compare using the same scale, but lactation still hasn't called me back. SIGH.

Aaron's been really sleepy, too, which I'm wondering if he's dozing more during feeds than I think. But I'm worried about why he's so sleepy. Even though this is my third child, they're all so different. But I'm worried that this is indicative of some sort of neurological disorder like DS#1 has. Is it normal to still be so sleepy at 11 days old? DS#2 was the opposite--crazy awake, never slept even as a newborn.

Sorry this is so rambling. I'm just really worried. I just pumped three oz from my left breast and will try giving that to Aaron after he takes from the right breast. (Pedi suggested this.)

So worried...

Meg
My nephew was jaundice and he was really lethargic b/c his level was so high. He had to be on one of those belliruben blankets for a week, then he was fine. Perked right up and everything.

Sorry you're stressing. I think it's good to try and top him off with a bottle, that way you know what he's getting. You may even want to consider pumping and doing bottles for the next week, just to be sure...? Just a thought. I know women worry about nipple confusion...but I think it might be worth it.

Good Luck.

TTC: Since Nov. 2006
Diagnosis: Ovarian Dysfunction & PCOS
26 Years Old
cd3 FSH 16.8
cd10 FSH 13.6
7 Unmonitored Cycles of Clomid
3 Unmonitored Cycles of Letrozole
Positive CCCT
TAB for cysts
1st Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed BDing - 5 mature follies - BFN
TAB for cysts
2nd Cycle of 150iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 4 mature follies in play - BFN
3rd Cycle of 150 iu of Menopur with Timed Intercourse - 2 follies - BFN
1st Cycle of Gonal F - 1 follie & cyst on right - BFN
TAB for a cycle
2nd Cycle of Gonal F = BFP!!!!!
11dpo Beta=27.9
14dpo Beta=120
16dpo Beta=210
18dpo Beta=429
21dpo Beta=1064
5w6d - baby measuring 3mm, h/b 101
6w6d - baby measuring 6mm, h/b 126
7w6d - baby 18mm, h/b 171, measuring ahead at 8w2d! RE noticed enlarged yolk sac so keeping a close eye on that
8w6d - baby 2.52cm with h/b of 174
9w5d - baby 3.22cm with h/b of 180 measuring 10w1d
10w6d - baby 4.34cmcm with h/b of 174 measuring 11w1d
12w u/s showed baby at 11.2cm with h/b of 162 - unfortunately, that evening I suffered a horrible m/c of a chromosomally NORMAL girl.... RIP my angel girl...you were loved....

First cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse since m/c - BFN
2nd Cycle of Gonal F with Timed Intercourse - BFN
TAB for a month on bcp's
3rd Cycle of Gonal F - BFP
-11dpo beta=14.9
-14dpo beta=45.7
-16dpo beta=140
-18dpo beta=366
u/s at 6w1d showed heart-rate of 114!!!!
u/s at 7w1d showed heart-rate of 141!!!!
u/s at 8w showed heart-rate of 179
u/s at 9w showed 2 SCH's, h/r of 197
u/s at 10w showed h/r of 175
u/s at 11w showed h/r of 180
u/s at 12 w showed h/r of 188
12w2d...m/c'd baby at home, lost too much blood, had to have emergency D&C...severely anemic....baby was a chromosomally normal boy
-developed a blood clot in leg 1 1/2 wks post D&C...saw a hematologist and had testing done and everything came back normal, will still treat me with Lovenex on next pregnancy

Wren
Wren

December 9th, 2011, 5:05 am #4

8 lbs (birth)
7 lbs, 9 oz (discharge)

So worried...

Meg
The weight thing is so stressful! When my son was born he lost a pound by day 3. Turns our he had scar tissue on the back of his tongue so he couldn't use it correctly. So he was falling asleep during feeds because he was working so hard and got worn out! We fixed his tongue and he was a new baby! So keep at it, take him to a chiropractor, get to a lactation consult and be patient! It's so stressful but it will work out.

December 9th, 2011, 10:11 am #5

8 lbs (birth)
7 lbs, 9 oz (discharge)

So worried...

Meg
I too had worries like this but it's very important to use the same scale only or else it'll drive you nuts. really nuts.

I have tips on keeping a sleepy baby nursing (although if LC said he was drinking enough, that should be fine. Have her check up on you both every week)--is there any way you can go to a breastfeeding clinic every week? IS there a well-baby type clinic you can go to weekly?

my tips: strip the little guy to nurse and put him on your exposed tummy--skin to skin to nurse. As soon as he gets a little dozy, switch him sides. Keep doing this, it's ok to play musical boobs BUT before you switch him, do breast compressions as he nurses, if he dozes, touch his cheek, neck, to get him awake again then switch to other breast if that doesn't do it.

My DD was a sleepier baby than my DS and I had to do these things in the first few weeks--maybe less or for her first month? honestly it's a blur now because I was also pumping to up my supply. But the skin-to-skin was nice. That warm baby belly is so yummy!
and because you are skin to skin, it's ok that he's down to only his diaper. If it's especially chilly then a receiving blanket along his back but go with your gut (heh, pun!)

Next is keep a close eye on his diaper output (I am sure the LC would have stressed this) if in doubt, put a tissue on his penis to see if it gets wet --I had to do this for my DS, we had many nursing issues. and the advantage of disposables are the slippery feel of them when they get a bit wet.

btw my DS was like your #2. Never slept and because he was my #1 I wondered what parenting blunder I had done since newborns sleep, don't they??!! lol That boy would have cat naps that would fuel a hour's awake time. (he's still rather like that although now at age 8 he'll sleep in until 6am most mornings. lol. I am well trained to little sleep now)

good luck, do keep us posted and also try for advice on the playgroup.

Also: be very sure to keep your own fluids up. 8-10 glasses of fluid a day and if dairy isn't a concern, 3 of those should be milk (so I'd simply drink a glass of milk at every meal and drink 4 cups of fenugreek tea and other wise squeeze the 3 cups of water in somehow; what a job!)

Do you know of Dr Jack Newman? Very useful site:http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/

Nursing can be a huge deal. I had tons of trouble and I still remember many fine details, still. --if you knew how bad my memory is, this would make your eyebrows go up. lol
Hang in there and keep up the good work and follow your keen mom instincts.

hugs
Julie

me:42, DH 43
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kristen
Kristen

December 9th, 2011, 11:43 am #6

8 lbs (birth)
7 lbs, 9 oz (discharge)

So worried...

Meg
I would try to get another measuement before you worry too much. It took more than a week for my milk to come in and my DS actually lost more than 10% of his body weight, so for a couple of weeks the ped recommended we supplement with formula and he gained. Within that time, my milk production began to increase and DS becam e a solid nurser. During that timme, I was really worried about it, so I had a couple of visits with a lactation consultant. If you go in for a consult with one at your hospital, they will weigh your baby before and after you nurse and will be able to tell you how much the baby consumed... it was quite a bit more than I thought!

They also recommended that I could buy a scale for about $80 to monitor weight myself. I never did b/c the problem went away, but you may consider it if you think it will give you reassurance. I think they even sell them at BBRU.

Good luck!

anonymous
anonymous

December 9th, 2011, 2:00 pm #7

My nephew was jaundice and he was really lethargic b/c his level was so high. He had to be on one of those belliruben blankets for a week, then he was fine. Perked right up and everything.

Sorry you're stressing. I think it's good to try and top him off with a bottle, that way you know what he's getting. You may even want to consider pumping and doing bottles for the next week, just to be sure...? Just a thought. I know women worry about nipple confusion...but I think it might be worth it.

Good Luck.
avoid giving a bottle so early if you want. Newborns sort of lap up the milk from the cup. It does work!

sch1star
sch1star

December 9th, 2011, 2:10 pm #8

8 lbs (birth)
7 lbs, 9 oz (discharge)

So worried...

Meg
...post fell into cyberhole.

First my personal refrain (feel free to remind me of it during my many freakout moments): you are hormonal and sleep deprived! Under the influence of these evil twins you are much more likely to worry to the extreme when things are not so bad

The adult scale data point screams outlier to me. I would definitely get a second scale opinion before anything else - I think you are on the right track with that. I cannot imagine that such a scale has a high degree of comparative accuracy in a situation like yours (i.e., newborn weight).

Aside from the outlier, our babies have similar weight patterns and my pedi is happy with ours so far:

birth - 7 lb 9 oz
day 3 - 7 lb 1 oz
day 4 (hospital discharge) - 7 lb 4 oz
day 6 (first pedi) - 7 lb 4.5 oz

He does expect continued gain from here on but emphasized that defining that is tough because babies do vary in their growth curves.

I bet you are doing fine and just need another measure to feel better. Hugs.

sch1star
sch1star

December 9th, 2011, 2:19 pm #9

8 lbs (birth)
7 lbs, 9 oz (discharge)

So worried...

Meg
at the kelly link mentioned in the other post:

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/gr ... -gain.html

Baby needs to be weighed on the same scale with the same amount of clothing (preferably naked) each time to get an accurate picture of weight gain. Different scales can give very different readings (I've personally seen a difference of a pound in two different scales); clothing or diapers can vary in weight and throw the numbers off. The scale should be zeroed before weighing, and baby should be centered on the scale tray. It's never a bad idea to do a second measurement (it should be close to the first) and then use an average of the two measurements. If your baby is very active or distressed, don't expect to get an accurate measurement. Babies grow in spurts rather than at a steady rate - to keep from needless worrying, it's generally best to weigh baby no more often than once a week.

And that is just talking about differences in scales made for babies. Hang in there!

December 9th, 2011, 9:09 pm #10

You guys are the best. I was wallowing in worry last night, and your posts made me feel so much better. Sorry if I can't respond to everyone individually--time is so short.

So, I went to the lactation consultant today and she weighed him on the same scale she did last week. Get this: he's 8 lbs. 3 oz, so already surpassed his birth weight--WHEW! It really does make a huge difference using different scales. My DH is SO mad at the pedi for having us worry so much over nothing. We had such a hard night last night, with me blaming myself for not doing a good job nursing and starving Aaron. Sch1star, you're SO right about the hormonal thing. My hormones are totally crashing; I had a migraine the other day (definite hormone thing for me) and waking up drenched in sweat at night. I kept bawling, thinking the worst. But the lactation consultant also told me that babies Aaron's age usually only have one period of wakefulness during the day, the rest is sleep. That made me feel better, too. I've just had both extremes with my other two, so I really don't know what normal looks like... Still nervous but praying everything is well with Aaron and that he's a typical, healthy little bugger.

Thanks for all your words of wisdom!

Hugs,
Meg